Started shopping for a flatbed for my dually - brand suggestions - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Started shopping for a flatbed for my dually - brand suggestions

After multiple blowouts on my 2000 CCLB dually 4x4 7.3 (4.5 inch lift, 245/70R19.5 tires) the bed has taken enough of a beating where I am now ready to replace it with something made of steel so any subsequent blowouts with these heavy A 19.5s dont do any damage. I look way too goofy riding around missing a fender on 1 side and a few missing pieces on the other side.

So, I have gathered so far I need a bed that is 56' Cab to Axle for this truck. I havent found the frame width yet.

What I am looking for is a diamond plate top, as low as it will go because the truck is lifted but without wheel wells, hideaway gooseneck, stout headache rack (not one that is open for vision, really sucks at stopping 2x4s, I use my mirrors anyways), stake holes if I want to stake it, and ability to throw on tie downs like the semi flatbeds have. Having a step like the reading utility beds is real nice, as well as having the bumper stout enough where if some honda hits me at 50 the only thing Ill have to do is pull out the black spraypaint. Having a longer bed with the cut angled sides would be a plus. Being able to throw another fuel tank under this bed is a plus, id rather not eat up precious room on top with a transfer tank - I deliver a lot of fuel and would rather increase capacity instead of be limited by whats in the bed.

Im all about utility and strength. Its starting to look a lot more like I should either make one or buy a medium duty. Both of those arent really options though. Im looking to find out what the good brands are and what the lemons are so I can hit the aftermarket and see if I could get a used one before spending $$$ on a new one. Im abusive on my truck, but at the same time I take care of it. If I am already on the forklift and I needed to get to the dumpster I would just hog the truck around by the receiver with the forklift instead of getting out and starting the truck and adding that much wear to the engine. Tire changes are also done like that.

So what brands are the good ones? Aluminum is out of the question. Anything I should be paying attention to when shopping other than frame width and CA measurement? I think it might be a challenge finding a 9' or 10' bed for a non-chassis cab unit, even though I use every bit of the tailgate when its down sometimes.

So far what Ive found is the Hillsboro G1 or G2 series that looks good, the CM SS doesnt look as good but will probably fit my budget better, but im open to all kinds of other ideas.

TLDR: need indestructible steel flatbed body brand recommendations and which cheap ones that will rust out or bend from dropping crap onto the bed to stay away from.

2000 F350 7.3l auto 4x4 CCLB Dually lariat, my new baby purchased 8-22-11
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. 66/74/1.15 S300 turbo, TS chip from swamps (daily with 60 tune), proper gauges, coolant filter w/ ELC, 19.5s. - Currently undergoing frame swap / restoration

2006 E350 6.0 auto cutaway van XLT with fiberglass roadside assistance box w/ air compressor. Purchased from company but used as a beater truck.

AutoEnginuity w/ Ford Enhanced - Tampa Bay area, FL. Just buy me dinner + fuel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-14-2017, 06:20 AM

I went through similar issues with my truck. You can find bodies on the internet. Whether you buy new or used depends on how much work you are willing to do. I replaced cab corners and part of my rocker panel after I removed my old bed... before I installed my "new " utility bed.

One important thing to remember is make sure you measure your wheelbase center to cab allowing a 4" space between the cab and your bed.
Also be prepared to fabricate mounts for the frame to bed supports. Most beds are made for a straight frame.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 257,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter, bellowed up pipes, rebuilt oil cooler, billet dip stick adapter, HD glow plug relay

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage

Last edited by panhead george; 10-14-2017 at 06:22 AM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 07:11 PM

My sister and b-i-l got theirs in Tulsa as soon as they got their 2000 F350 CC Dually in October, 1999. They've been real happy with it. I'll find out where in Tulsa they got it from, if you're interested. They took their bed off and drove the chassis to the place in Tulsa, and I believe it was a 1-day job for them to have it installed and ready to head back to Texas. Let me know if you'd like more info....I'll see what I can find out.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff

Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Bed mat, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, undercoated, 170k somewhat trouble-free miles (so far), Edge Evolution (60 HP setting), Pioneer DVD/CD/iPod/XM satellite, backup camera, aluminum camper shell to replace the ROLLX that I had on the bed

Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2) and tension pullies, all 4 power lock actuators, water pump, air conditioning lines and compressor, battery cables, replaced the leather oem seat covers with very good leather replacements (found a great price from a place in Dallas that custom makes them)

2016 Subaru Outback (Wife's commuter car)

2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 29ft TT

1993 MonArk Sun/Spa 20 ft pontoon boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 09:47 PM

Put the word out at some local truck body manufacturers, they get trucks in and customers want their flatbed removed and replaced with a box, or a dump. I know I gave them my flatbed years ago for free, to get a box and liftgate put on.

Last edited by kendall69; 11-09-2017 at 03:39 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by short_stuff View Post
My sister and b-i-l got theirs in Tulsa as soon as they got their 2000 F350 CC Dually in October, 1999. They've been real happy with it. I'll find out where in Tulsa they got it from, if you're interested. They took their bed off and drove the chassis to the place in Tulsa, and I believe it was a 1-day job for them to have it installed and ready to head back to Texas. Let me know if you'd like more info....I'll see what I can find out.

just my .02 cents worth

short_stuff
I'm interested to know.
I can't say I know any in Tulsa. At least not for a plain flatbed. Ramsey does service bodies though.
Closer to okc there's cm truck beds and J&L manufacturing, which is what I have. Got it used for $400.

If you can weld, I've seen a company that you can buy a precut kit. You just weld it up. Definitely cheaper. Even have the option of thickness or aluminum.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:03 PM

Were I live in southwest Louisiana right on the tx border I see nice ones on sale on Facebook for a $1000 to $5,000. Just figured I would put that out there to give you another option. I saw a real nice on for $2,000 a few days ago.

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79jasper View Post
I'm interested to know.
I can't say I know any in Tulsa. At least not for a plain flatbed. Ramsey does service bodies though.
Closer to okc there's cm truck beds and J&L manufacturing, which is what I have. Got it used for $400.

If you can weld, I've seen a company that you can buy a precut kit. You just weld it up. Definitely cheaper. Even have the option of thickness or aluminum.

Sorry, took me a while to get the info from my sister. I misspoke. The place they went to was b&w trailer hitches in Humboldt, Kansas. Just looked up their website. It appears they are still in business.

just my .02 cents worth
short_stuff

Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Bed mat, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, undercoated, 170k somewhat trouble-free miles (so far), Edge Evolution (60 HP setting), Pioneer DVD/CD/iPod/XM satellite, backup camera, aluminum camper shell to replace the ROLLX that I had on the bed

Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2) and tension pullies, all 4 power lock actuators, water pump, air conditioning lines and compressor, battery cables, replaced the leather oem seat covers with very good leather replacements (found a great price from a place in Dallas that custom makes them)

2016 Subaru Outback (Wife's commuter car)

2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 29ft TT

1993 MonArk Sun/Spa 20 ft pontoon boat
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-24-2017, 06:41 PM

Oh, yep.
Didn't think they made beds though.

PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 09:50 AM

Caseco Manufacturing in Claremore OK might be a source for you.

2000 F250 Lariat CC SB 4x4 PSD Auto
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 06:10 PM

Sounds familiar.
I don't need a bed. I will build one if/when I replace mine.
OP is in Florida.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in