SUPERLIFT TRUESPEED - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
SUPERLIFT TRUESPEED

Wife got a ticket yesterday for 36 in a 30 zone and the 20's and 305/55/20 toyos put the speedometer about 5-6 MPH low...
so is the truespeed the way to go? are there any other products worse? better? whats this thing cost and where did you get it?
TIA!!!
Tom [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

CTFD
Contact Info..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

512-762-1485
LATE 1999 F350 CC Dually 2WD,4" stainless Magnaflow.Highly Modified GT38 Turbo
DP-Tuner 4 Pos. chip, PS2000,4" intake with fleetguard filter ,Suncoast Tranny With Triple disc T/C, Lunar Guages
12 Speaker 770 watt Fosgate,Sony and Infinity system with (((XM))), Stull Billet,BFG's and acetoned badges.ART rotors, More to come. 8100lbs.
1/4 mile 14.80 @ 94.24 MPH
2000 Limited 4X4 Excursion Toreador red and tan,(((XM)))Rancho RSX's, Hellwig anti sway,V codes on front, skyjacker dual stabilizer, Edge Evolution AFE with PG7, Eddins House of Diesel 4" Exhaust with Polished 5" tip, Suncoast tranny with triple lock, 15.1" DVD monitor,now rolling Akuza Bounce 20's w/ Toyo 305/55/20 AT's

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:11 PM

Re: SUPERLIFT TRUESPEED

It's about $200. Some programmers (I think the Flashpaq and Hypertech, more too) also can calibrate for tire size/gear changes as well. I have the Truspeed, it's nice and you can really fine tune it. You'll have to loosen up the inner fender on the drivers side to get the the ABS module. Do not try to go from up top, wasted my time trying it that way.

Matt

edit: I got mine from AutoAnything.com
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 05:25 PM

My Photos: (28)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I got mine for 180 from a local dealer. Works great. But I have seen a few on here that have had some issues...

I do think it is the way to go.. easy installation..

01 F350 CC LB - 14" OUO 525 Series, 38x15.5 Toyo M/T's a 20x12 Weld Cheyenne's. BTS, Terminators, Hybrids...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:34 PM

I've had issues with one of mine, but got it replaced and never looked back. It helps your tranny out by shifting at the correct shift points because your speedo is not reading correctly.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

I know a couple people that are using and very happy with the Speed Wizard. You can check it out at the link.

http://www.fmdkinc.com/wiz.htm

'04 F-250 Harley-Davidson 6.0L CC SB
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 07:53 PM

My Photos: (18)

Hey Tom. How's it been going?

A dealer should be able to reprogram your PCM to correct the speedo with tires up to 35". I know when I had 35s, it was no problem getting it done. You just have to know the revs per mile for your tires.

SmokeyWren has the exact formula for the dealer tech to use. Maybe he'll chime in.

Mark

2011 F-350 DRW 4X4 Lariat -

Pulling a 2010 Sierra 355QBQ 5er

Sold- '08 F-350 -

Sold - '01 F-350 -
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 11:11 PM

My Photos: (2)

Heres a good link that tells you the rev. per mile.
Just punch in tire size info and walllla!

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Dont know how I found it, but it works real good.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 12:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A dealer should be able to reprogram your PCM to correct the speedo with tires up to 35". I know when I had 35s, it was no problem getting it done. You just have to know the revs per mile for your tires.

SmokeyWren has the exact formula for the dealer tech to use. Maybe he'll chime in.

Mark

[/ QUOTE ]

The Ford directions I have are as follows...

Calculating Tire Revolutions Per Mile

Position vehicle on level ground, load with the standard weight for the specific application, and inflate the tires to the recommended pressure (ensure that the tires are cold).

Measure the tire height from the ground to the top of the tire in inches. Ensure an accurate reading to the nearest 1/8 inch.

Divide 20,168 by the tire height in inches to get the tire revolutions per mile.

Example: Measured tire height - 33 inches.

revolutions/mile = 20168/33 = 611 revolutions/mile

'04 F-250 Harley-Davidson 6.0L CC SB
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 01:19 PM

My Photos: (45)

Quote:
Toyo LT305/55R20 tires are 625 tire revs/mile. Click here. So most Ford dealers probably have someone that can calibrate the speedo to 625 revs/mile.

The following procedures are several years old. Ford techs have newer, better diagnostic tools to use now than when this first came up for the '99 models. The WDS has now been replaced by a newer diag system. But maybe print it out and give it to your tech anyway. If he's been around more than a few years, he'll probably be able to adapt the following procedures to whatever is the newest diag system.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxx

If you dealer's tech hasn't calibrated a speedometer on a SuperDuty before, he might spend an hour researching on how to do it before he actually does any work. After he has done a couple, then it's a 5-minute job – but most dealers will charge you one hour of labor to do the job.

If your service writer sounds like perhaps that dealership is not experienced in calibrating SuperDuty speedos, then copy and paste the following into a Wordpad or Word document, print it out, and give it to the service writer ot tech.

1) Ensure all harness connections are plugged in.

2) Using Rotunda New Generation Star (NGS) scanner and Version 3.2 or higher Service Card, Plug into the DCL connector.
• [ADDED: Do not use a service card version later than early 2001 model year. This will not work if you try to use a service card dated after the 2002 models came out. ]
• [ADDED #2: Ignore the above "ADDED" if you use the newer NGS Plus. With the NGS Plus you can calibrate the speedo on any 7.3L or 6.0L PSD.] [*] [Added #3: Some techs now use the Ford Worldwide Diagnostic System (WDS) to calibrate the speedo. I don't know anything about how they do it.][*] Oops! Time flies and the WDS is now obsolete. You're on your own with whatever diag system is now in use.

3) Turn Key on w/Engine Off.

4) Select Service Bay Functions

5) Select ABS Module or 4WABS Module depending on application.

6) Select Tire Size/Axle Ratio Configure.

7) Enter tire manufacturer's specification of revs/mile (tire revolutions per mile) into the NGS as the REV.PER MILE figure.
• [ADDED: To have an even more accurate odometer, enter the following rev/mile:

For 285/75R16 tires enter 00636
For 295/75R16 tires enter 00626
For 315/75R16 tires enter 00601
For 305/55R20 tires emter 00625

Do not try to enter a number less than 00601 with the old NGS. With the newer NGS Plus or WDS, I don't know. ]

8) Select Tone Ring size and verify that 120 is programmed in.

9) Select <Option> and press TRIGGER.

10) Select <Vehicle> and press TRIGGER.

11) Press <Done> and the Module will be reprogrammed.

12) Check Speedo accuracy.

To determine your odometer’s accuracy (if you don't have that fancy newfangled GPS stuff) just find an interstate highway that has two mile markers 10 miles apart without being near an entry, exit, bridge, or overpass. When your front bumper passes one of these markers, push the odometer reset button to zero. Ten miles later, your odo should read exactly 10.0, which is 100 percent accuracy. Every tenth of a mile off from 10.0 is one percent error.

Some Ford dealers will refuse to calibrate the speedo. They say it can't be done - or that they're not allowed to do it. So in that case just refer them to the 2003 Ford gobbledegook version of the procedures at:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/...bb_pdf/206.pdf

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 01-22-2008 at 08:10 AM.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 06:19 PM Thread Starter

ok so with all that being said...I have a DP-Tuner 4 pos. chip which has disabled the trucks PATS system....is the dealer tech going to screw anything up by going in and recalibrating what he has to?
TIA
Tom

CTFD
Contact Info..

512-762-1485
LATE 1999 F350 CC Dually 2WD,4" stainless Magnaflow.Highly Modified GT38 Turbo
DP-Tuner 4 Pos. chip, PS2000,4" intake with fleetguard filter ,Suncoast Tranny With Triple disc T/C, Lunar Guages
12 Speaker 770 watt Fosgate,Sony and Infinity system with (((XM))), Stull Billet,BFG's and acetoned badges.ART rotors, More to come. 8100lbs.
1/4 mile 14.80 @ 94.24 MPH
2000 Limited 4X4 Excursion Toreador red and tan,(((XM)))Rancho RSX's, Hellwig anti sway,V codes on front, skyjacker dual stabilizer, Edge Evolution AFE with PG7, Eddins House of Diesel 4" Exhaust with Polished 5" tip, Suncoast tranny with triple lock, 15.1" DVD monitor,now rolling Akuza Bounce 20's w/ Toyo 305/55/20 AT's

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 PM

I'm wondering the same thing. If I need to remove my DP will it overwrite the new dealership program when I hook it back up?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 07:14 AM

The tire size is in the GEM not the PCM
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:16 PM

for correcting the speed I suggest a "black box" the reason is - you can adjust it as many times as you want and you dont have to pay the dealer every time.

I am very familiar with these type of boxes

if anybody gets a black box and needs help with it... just find me

I know the super duties from 99-08 really well.

I have the speed wizard on mine i have a 2003 F250 4x4 5.4L engine.

BTW... if you have a 99-04 you do not need to hook it up in the engine compartment. My research showed that the tranny does not use speed as an input therefore if you would rather hook it in the cab, you can.

On 05-08 it must be hooked in the engine compartment though

Kenny
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXCAV8TER View Post
ok so with all that being said...I have a DP-Tuner 4 pos. chip which has disabled the trucks PATS system....is the dealer tech going to screw anything up by going in and recalibrating what he has to?
TIA
Tom
No, the tech changes only the tire revs/mile parameter in the ABS module. They don't mess with the PCM.

However, a good rule of thumb is to NEVER turn your truck over to a dealer's tech unless you have reset the PCM back to stock. That's why most DP_Tuner chips include a stock setting.

If you don't have a stock setting on your chip, then communicate with the tech and make it plain that he is not to do anything except correct the revs/mile parameter in the ABS module. Or else, pull the chip until after you get the truck back from the dealer.

But with that warning, I've had the dealer calibrate my speedo three times while my chip was installed in the tow mode. I communicate with the tech, and he knows I have a chip and that's he's not to mess with the PCM.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sno_cat View Post
The tire size is in the GEM not the PCM
Not exactly. The tire revs/mile parameter is in the ABS module, not the PCM or GEM.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in