The Diesel Stop banner

While the truck bed is off..........what else?

4K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  INFRNL 
#1 ·
Late winter (Feb) I am going to pull my bed, replace the bed support channels, replace shocks, brake job-replace rear rotors, install Load Lifter 5000’s, update rear hitch to a 14.5K IV (Truck is max 14,500 TW / GCWR 20K) , Buy or Fabricate and install tc tie downs, wire wheel/paint frame. So that leaves the fuel tank!

My thoughts are remove pick up, replace filters, and add Hutch Mod (strictly diesel). Also I believe fuel pick up pump is original (187K)

Q. Does the filter with the Hutch Mod also remove water or do I need a seperate filter for that?

Q. Anything else I should consider while bed is off?

I’m slowing buying and putting my inventory together for the “truck outage”.

No major problems prompting me to do this just a little TLC and getting truck ready for a truck camper next year. And updating hitch to where I can use hitch for a medium duty tilt trailer to haul rock. There’s a lot of mix and match items here, stock/non stock so I appolagize if it belongs in upgrades or somewhere else. I know there’s been discussion on here about the fuel tank and Mods.

Thanks!! Glenn

See less See more
#2 ·
I would spend some time with a wire brush and chassis paint - there are a lot of areas you'll have access to now that you won't when the bed is back on. You could also clean up and undercoat the entire underside of the bed.

The Strictly Diesel kit uses a Baldwin BF1212 which is a fuel filter/water separator. It will only separate free water and has to be drained periodically. Still, a great improvement over stock.

#3 ·
Thanks RT! I believe I’ll do both the Hutch & Harpoon Mod while bed is off. I finally did my first oil change/filter and fuel filter—went to the Rotella T6, getting ready to drive 300+ miles round trip for the Illinois firearm deer season this weekend.......will see how the truck likes i

#4 ·
I did the harpoon mod and regret it. Maybe I cut too much off, but I can no longer use the auto shutoff without getting an eruption of fuel from the filler neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: aclasshog
#8 ·
Me too, only cut 2" but I sure would like to have that back.

#5 ·
What year truck? my 2006 fills fine with the large truck pumps with no mods. I had my hitch upgraded a couple of years ago after I got rearended on the interstate. My bodyshop spec'ed the newer Ford cat 4(?) hitch and the insurance co paid for it. It bolted right up with no problem. The only problem I see with it is using the sleeve is a PITA.

#6 ·
I would check the brake lines and hoses for any rust. Replace them and your hoses if you have a lot of miles and rust

#7 ·
Also, if it is a 4wd and you keep the factory HFCM, move it back behind the transfer case for easy access.

#9 ·
Had to look up “HFCM”, from what I read that didn’t begin until 2003 models- does that sound right? Thank

#11 ·
You are right. Sorry, didn't realize yours was an older truck.

#12 ·
Love my harpoon mod...a real time saver when filling up and more importantly, extended travel time.

#13 ·
I agree

#15 ·
Just measured both tubes that I cut...3-3/4".
Maybe it's the pump you use? Have you tried several different stations?

#16 ·
Thinking of doing h/h mod. Know i dont know. RT are u using big boys (truckers) pump?

#17 ·
No- standard pump at our local Kroger. The pump at Chevron and Shell both do it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
I have not done the harpoon and this is the first I have heard of issues with it spitting out.

Have all of you cut one tube or both? I don’t know if it makes any difference, I am just curious.

As for foaming, in my travels, I have found some stations foam more than others but I have not logged which ones.

#19 ·
Any idea if tank size has any thing to do with it? From what i have read it is recommended to cut off as much as possible. How long is the tube anyway?

#20 ·
I followed the directions from all the information on this site and definitely do not use the trucker pump.
I have learned to listen with a very close ear and as soon as I hear it gurgling then that's a fair warning that she's ready to spew. Not sure what I did wrong but I sure would like to have it back. If I were to throw caution to the wind and let the nozzle cut off itself, it would projectile spew.

#21 ·
I cut the vent tube off as close as I could. There's probably 1/2 inch left.
Mine will puke out fuel if I wait for the cutoff, but just a touch over the fill tube. So I listen to the sound coming out the fill tube and slow down the nozzle before it cuts off. Our fuel up here foams really bad, so I have to nurse it in very slowly to get it full. I usually fill till I can see fuel in the neck.

#22 ·
So with that said I fail to see the difference, 6 to one, 1/2 dozen the other, if I have to nurse the fuel pump handle to get tank full or nurse the gas pump to keep fuel from puking out all over.

One of the stations I stop at has the big truck fuel handle and fills up must quicker without tripping out from foam. I am glad this information came to light rather than trusting the harpoon mod ad being a great improvement over stock which I now am in serious doubt.

#24 ·
I did the harpoon mod years ago. When I fill up it doesn't spit fuel out and I can still put another 2 gallons in roughly till it's all the way to the top. I always fill to the top to get accurate fuel mileage reading. I have to pump the last 2 gallons in pretty slow because of the foam though. I think the mod is just slightly better than the stock setup, can't recall anymore.

I believe I cut both tubes as close to the edge as possible using pvc cutters. So whatever that leaves (approx 3/4", IDK) I could also be mistaken as that was years ago now, but this is what comes to mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.