'05 F250...no 12v power from 7-way trailer plug? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By bugman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question '05 F250...no 12v power from 7-way trailer plug?

I just hooked up a new brake system on my camper, and when I was testing things out...I noticed that I'm not getting any 12v power from the 7-way plug on the truck. The blinkers work, running lights work, no errors on the TBS. But I'm not getting any 12v power from the plug in order to charge my trailer battery.

I did some research on the form, and from what I could find....every year truck has a different relay and/or fuse for the 12v trailer plug circuit.

Can someone point me in the right direction for my 05' F250? It doesn't have some goody feature like it does for the trailer brakes where it doesn't turn them on until you are going over 5mph does it? Any info would be a huge help!

Thanks!!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 01:35 AM

Garage
I know on my '05, the ignition needs to be in the on position to get power. My fuse is under the hood also.

'05 F250 CrewCab Diesel

'04 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, 4" lift, 35's
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of the help guys! I found the problem......there was a 20a fuse under the dash that was blown. I replaced it, and everything is good now. But for some reason....now all of a sudden, I'm getting random "trailer disconnected" errors from TBS. I hate this OEM TBC!!!!!

2005 F250 6.0 PSD, ARP Studs, Felpro HG's, EGR Delete, IPR Coolant Filter, Bilstein 5100s, Blue Spring Mod, IDP Custom Tunes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
now all of a sudden, I'm getting random "trailer disconnected" errors from TBS. I hate this OEM TBC!!!!!
You've got a boogie connection somewhere, probably on the ground side. I don't like that "feature" of the factory controller either but its likely better than just putting power to a connection that doesn't allow the brakes to come on fully. If you keep your connectors and wiring in good condition you won't have the message to look at.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

I went through and checked everything .....ohmed all the wires out with a multimeter, everything is good. Even when I get the "trailer disconnected" error.....the blinkers and brakes still work fine. If there was no ground.....nothing would work.

I don't know if the factory TBC is looking for a certain resistance from the brakes or what...but it's way too touchy. I have no idea why they made it so touchy.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iqraceworks View Post
I went through and checked everything .....ohmed all the wires out with a multimeter, everything is good. Even when I get the "trailer disconnected" error.....the blinkers and brakes still work fine. If there was no ground.....nothing would work.
Then the problem is likely right in the plug itself - the pins aren't making a good connection. They don't last forever - sometimes its easier to just change them out. Its not that there's no ground or no connection - you've got a high resistance connection somewhere and the controller is detecting that.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The lights may work off of the ground through the hitch, they are not connected directly to the ground wire on the plug. Where the disconnect message might be the bad ground through the plug where it won't see the ground through the hitch.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys. I went through the trailer and re-did all of the ground connections on the brakes. That fixed the problem...no more random "trailer disconnected" faults. Must have been just a funky ground....crazy how sensitive the OEM TBC is.

Thanks again!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 08:51 AM

I don't like that its so sensitive either but....

Trailer brakes take a lot of power and they're kind of important. So even while I'm getting annoyed at the "trailer disconnected" message I recognize that it is telling me there's a problem. As I posted earlier, a dumb controller that just sends power to the trailer would be less annoying but if that power isn't activating the brakes then it kind of defeats the purpose of a brake controller.

2006 F250 6.0 4x4
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 12:06 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Just one thing if someone finds this thread in the future, 99% of any and all trailer electrical problems can be traced back to a bad ground.
bobofthenorth likes this.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2018, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman View Post
Just one thing if someone finds this thread in the future, 99% of any and all trailer electrical problems can be traced back to a bad ground.

Yep....and it doesn't have to be a "bad" ground....it can just be not as good as the TBC wants it to be. The thing is really way too sensitive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in