12 volt hot in back seat - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
gdp

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
12 volt hot in back seat

I want to install a USB port inside the center armrest that folds down in the back seat. Does anyone know where I can find an always hot wire in the back seat area? Thanks, it will save me some work pulling things up to find one.

2002 F-250 CC Lariat 7.3 diesel, 170,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
gdp

I'll try this again. I know there is a wiring harness that goes under the rear seat driver's side door sill. Can anyone please tell me which wire is, preferably hot all the time, and if none, hot with the ignition switch on? I know I can check it with a test light but prefer not to poke holes in all the wires if I don't have to.
Thank you to anyone that knows.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 07:43 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Good question and free bump. When I added an amp back there I had to run a new wire for power IIRC...

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:40 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Interested as well. I’ve been wanting to run the USB ports but believe I’m going to run them on both rear doors where the useless ash trays are (don’t allow smoking in my vehicles anyway)

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 06:18 PM

You could check and see what color wire that goes to the center pin on your trailer hitch plug. That pin is a constant 12v with key on IIRC. That may help you narrow down the wire in the bundle under the rear door cover panel.

2002 F250 Super Duty Crew Cab 7.3L Lariat 2WD 131,000mi; 4in turbo back custom exhaust, Garrett GTP38R turbo, Riffraff intercooler boots, Dorman Up-Pipes, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, Scangauge II, ISSPRO EV2 Boost-EGT-Trans temp-Fuel pressure Gauges, DP T-5 Tuner (stock ,60HP tow, Decel, 60HP highway econo, 80HP city econo), Dieselsite coolant filtration, Max Air A/C mod, foglight mod, AIH delete, LED interior, back up camera, hid foglights.

I have AE if you are in San Diego area and need help. Send PM
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:51 PM

My Photos: (8)
I could be wrong but I don't think you have anything in the back of a crew cab that is constant hot. The only things that have power are the rear cab lites. The other wires would be for speakers. So I suspect if you want to run 12 volt constant you are going to have to splice into the wires for the trailer plug below the cab (i would not recommend that) or run a constant hot back from the fuze block. I put a painless wiring fuze block in all my trucks, it makes adding things like gauges, seat warmers, ect pretty easy.
DENNY

Early 1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10 6.0 trans cooler, Front hitch, 2,000 hubs/ brakes, Bilstein shocks/steering stabilizer, Diesel site coolant filter 203 thermostat, EBV delete, new O-rings, new Oil cooler, RIFF RAFF FRX, Glow plug led, Pillar gauges, Lighted cupholder, Painless wiring fuze block, Harpoon/hutch mods, Removed axle blocks. Air bags, 5 wheel hitch, In bed 7 pin plug. Spare tire key delete. KLHANSEN on speed dial. 75,000 as of May 2019
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 05:40 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Correct, there is nothing in that harness you could or should use.

Assuming we are talking about the truck in your signature, there is a 12V 10 amp fused "hot in run" wire in the "Customer Access" bundle under the drivers side of the instrument panel that you could use. It is a white wire with a light blue tracer and uses fuse #29 in the instrument panel fuse box. To locate it, remove the lower cover under the steering column and follow the harness back from the diagnostic connector (DLC). There is a bundle of cut wires with shrink tube on the ends. Simply isolate the wire, strip the end and connect your wire to run to the rear of the truck. Running the wire would be simple as you can secure it behind the left kick panel and back under the sill trim.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 08-17-2019 at 05:44 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
gdp

Thanks for the replies. Good to know about the customer access bundle, thank Ford Dr.
I did the installation on Friday and wound up splicing into the wire for the switchable reading lights above the back seat. Green wire with a yellow stripe in the harness on the drivers side rear seat. It's only hot while the ignition is on but was simple to get hooked up. I'll go back sometime and run a hot from the front.
FYI, I bought this double USB plug
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3265...383e4c4d1g8ud8
for $4 including shipping from China (took about 6 weeks) and ran the wire thru the seat back behind the fold down armrest and over to the wire near the seatbelt. The USB plug stays behind the armrest and can be pulled out when needed. Only had to punch a 1/8" hole behind the armrest for the wire. Best $4 I've spent on the truck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in