The Diesel Stop banner

'2002 F250 electrical issue

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  dtrojcak 
#1 ·
While driving this morning, all of the cluster gauges went wonky.
They all cycled from min to max a couple of times, then stayed pegged out.
The windows, inside lights, both dome and map, and radio do not work.
Auto-headlights will not turn off when key is off.

It did this a while back and I was advised that it was the cluster.
I sent it in to https://circuitboardmedics.com/2002-2004-ford-super-duty-instrument-cluster-repair/
When I got it back, everything worked fine, for a couple of weeks.
The gauges and radio would occasionally reset, but everything would work fine after the reset.
This time, the affected items stayed stuck.
Was the cluster the problem and CircuitBoardMedics need to fix it again?
Or should I start looking for other issues?

#2 ·
How about a windshield leak, do you have any moisture in the fuse block, GEM etc? That era of SD was known for this issue causing all kinds of electrical gremlins.

#3 ·
No leaks that I can see.
From what I’ve read 2002s don’t have a GEM on the fuse box.
They have a VSM behind the radio.
I contacted CircuitBoardMedics and they say they found a burned/bad spot on the board last time.
They emailed me a shipping label to return it to them to repair again under warranty.
So I guess now I wait.

#5 ·
Just realized I never updated my results.

Sent the cluster back to them, they could find nothing wrong.

Reinstalled cluster in my truck, gauge flickering/resetting occasionally happened.
It progressively became more often, to the point that it would do it every time key was on.
The gauges would reset over and over until they would freeze in place.
Pulling the fuse for the cluster would reset them, until the next time they would start resetting.
Contacted CircuitBoardMedics again and they sent me a pin out of the cluster connector because they kept thinking it was an issue on my truck and not an issue with their repair.
Checked all power inputs, all were steady even when gauges were flipping out.
I soldered in a secondary ground wire to also eliminate and ground faults.
I could find no issues on truck side of the connector.
The problem continued and eventually, the gauges froze and I could not reset them by pulling fuse.
Contacted CircuitBoardMedics again.
Sent it to them a third time, and so far, it’s been working fine for the 7 or so hours the truck has been on since I reinstalled the cluster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.