Air conditioner system pressures - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Air conditioner system pressures

Hi all -

I am thinking I need to give my AC system a little top up. I have searched far and wide (and even looked in the factory service manuals), but I cant seem to find anything that explains what the high and low side pressures should be, and under what conditions (engine RPM, fan on high or one step below high, ambient temperature, etc.).

2002 F250 XLT 4WD SC SB with 6 Speed and Manual Shift Transfer Case. Pillar pod-o-gauges, Warn Premium Hubs, AIS, Fumoto, Edge 3 leveling kit on the front (with adjustable track bar), 4 blocks on the rear, Eaton Posi, Bilstein 5100s and 285 X 75 X 16 BFG MTs all around. Oil pan coated with POR-15. Fleetrite ELC and Dieselsite coolant filter (plus new water pump). New O-Rings on the injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:00 PM

Garage
Although not universal, the chart below is a what I use and it has produced great results on my 2000. The refrigerant quantity should be listed on a sticker under the hood.
Attached Images

2000 7.3 PSD 4x4 Auto Trans., CC, short box 207,500 miles.
PHP Hydra, Bilstein 5100's, Bilstein steering stabilizers, Auto Meter 3 gauge pod--EGT, Trans Temp & Boost, Deep Trans Pan, Rotella ELC and T6 oil, DieselSite 203*, Riffraff Billet wheel, 4" turbo back MBRP 5" straight pipe, Donaldson 6637 blue, 20" Fuel wheels wrapped with 37" MT's
Security: Ravelco (for the pro's), Viper (for the rookies), The Club 1100 Steering Wheel Lock (visual deterrent).
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the response!

I saw this table on the interweb...along with a bunch of other information. One person on another forum had some nice charts that showed H and L side pressure vs temperature. One for less than 100 deg F ambient and one for above 100 deg F ambient. The problem is that the numbers for 100 Deg F did not match on the two charts!

I know the "right" way to do things is to measure the amount of refrigerant that goes into the system.

Knowing that you had some luck with this chart gives me some confidence and I will use it. Worst case, I will just have to go to the dealer and have them evacuate and refill the system...

...the fact is the AC is pretty good on my truck and the only reason I am going to tinker with it is that I need to juice the AC on my 2012 4Runner which is DEFINATELY in need of a charge. Strange that the Toyota needs attention before the Ford, but I have about 95,000 on the Toyota and about 80,000 on the Ford (which gets about 500 miles a year).

All in all, I don't mind spending a few $$$ on these two vehicles which have been really good to me. My worst case scenario is where I have a major mechanical failure on the truck or some duma$$ runs into me and totals it. I am not sure what I would do after that.

Happy motoring everyone

2002 F250 XLT 4WD SC SB with 6 Speed and Manual Shift Transfer Case. Pillar pod-o-gauges, Warn Premium Hubs, AIS, Fumoto, Edge 3 leveling kit on the front (with adjustable track bar), 4 blocks on the rear, Eaton Posi, Bilstein 5100s and 285 X 75 X 16 BFG MTs all around. Oil pan coated with POR-15. Fleetrite ELC and Dieselsite coolant filter (plus new water pump). New O-Rings on the injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in