Differences in Fuel by company? Texaco, Shell, etc.? Am I nuts? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Differences in Fuel by company? Texaco, Shell, etc.? Am I nuts?

I posted a thread that got pretty large about my pulling a horse trailer of only 4,800 lbs and the truck was a DOG. With no load it seemed pertty fast but Ive only driven mine & dont know. We even started to think maybe the trailer brakes were dragging.

I was running Texaco fuel at the time. Last week when I ran low I got about 10 gallons of Shell because it was close to my house but then filled up with Chevron at a lower price. After about an 1/8th tank of use, I pulled the trailer again today. Totally different. Different sound, a lot more power, and a curious egg smell to the exhaust like my gas truck with a hot cat converter.

No problem pulling the trailer up a hill and even my 13 year old daughter said the truck was quieter. Is this an amazing coincidence? Maybe something else bad quit being bad? Can different fuel brands make that much difference?

2001 F-350 Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,4X4,Auto,7.3,2"lift,KYBs, 3.73, steel oil x-over, aFe Stage II Pro 7, AirCond mod, Fumoto, DP 60,80,100. AIH Delete, hi-lite/fog-lite on mod. CNC HPOP hoses. 360 degree illumination six light LED system for backup, fog and sides. Dead bird in grill. Part of finger in new ball joint nut. (really!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 06:57 PM

My Photos: (0)
Re: Differences in Fuel by company? Texaco, Shell, etc.? Am I nuts?

IMO no, i fill up with different brands of gas all the time, whoever is cheapest, can never tell the difference [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

2001 F350 C/C 4x4 SRW, Superlift 10"/dual bilsteins, 39.5" IROK radials, Precision Gear 4.56's; Banks Turbo/wicked wheel, ATS housing, Banks Bighead Wastegate, Banks 4-stage 150hp chip, Banks turbo-back 4" exhaust, AFE stage 2 intake, zoodad mod, coolant filter, Autometer Procomp gauges;
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

I take the lack of response to mean I am nuts but everyone is too polite to say it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

2001 F-350 Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,4X4,Auto,7.3,2"lift,KYBs, 3.73, steel oil x-over, aFe Stage II Pro 7, AirCond mod, Fumoto, DP 60,80,100. AIH Delete, hi-lite/fog-lite on mod. CNC HPOP hoses. 360 degree illumination six light LED system for backup, fog and sides. Dead bird in grill. Part of finger in new ball joint nut. (really!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-06-2005, 11:25 PM

They send the batches of fuel premium, regular no lead, etc through the same pipe line and to different brand tank farms here. The tank farms are all grouped together to use the same pipelines.
Additives are stored in their own tanks and added when loading onto the trucks.
One thing you have to watch, in our area are the gas stations, marts, etc run by Asians and Indians. They tell the delivery people to put regular into their premium storage tanks. The same goes for diesel.
I got some at a "BP" station that foamed like dish soap and smelled more like straight kerosene than diesel. The engine didn't like it. I now have ,what I'm afraid is some injector damage. it is knocking more and idleing rough.

05 Lariat 4X2 Dualie Powerstroke
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 03:06 AM

The diesel in our area comes from one distributor up in Kelso. They supply all stations down here. You might have gotten some fuel that has been sitting for awhile. Find a station around your house that sells alot of diesel and stick with them.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 03:24 AM

We have big 300Gal tanks of died red that sit for months and ocasionally i have to limp to the station on that. No differnce. The only difference i have is when i tried B20 biodiesel. It smelled like a korean restaruant and it gave it some more power and MPG but other than that i havent flet any differenece in fuel. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] I was told that i could only run 5% bio in my truck so now thats what it gets.

2002 F-250 S/C Auto, 4X4, longbed, Dual Turboback Exhaust from Brighton Radiator, TS 6 position chip(Stock-Fuel7) Tymar Intake.Acetoned emblems. Boost pyro tranny C2 autometer guages with pillar mount(Follow the light)40000Miles
2004.5 Polaris 600 Sportsman. DONT FALL IN THE TRAP DEMOCRATS ARE FULL OF CRAP some call me redneck, some call me trash, some call me a true American that'll kick your... God bless the U.S.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 05:20 AM

My Photos: (11)

Marvin,

While this is only a guess, the only thing that I can think of is that you might have gotten a batch of fuel with a lot of water in it. I don't know how much it would take to make an engine run funny, but IMO the stock filter setup and any filter that tries and filter water via an element for that matter does a poor job in the water department.

Larry, keeper of the <font color="red"> New revised </font><font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font>
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF
, ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets"
, & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 06:05 AM

Guess I'm nuts too.....

In my '99 SD if I use the fuel from Wal Mart or Shamrok my mileage is lower and the truck has less power and knocks more. When I use fuel from Love's, Exxon or Shell, I get better mileage and the engine is quieter and smoother.

Now the '96's are a differnet animal, they could care less what fuel you run.

#1 <font color="red">'99 F350, CC, DRW, 6 speed, Proguard 7 open eliment, SCMT High Performance, Fuel regulator shimed to 70#'s, Hypermax EGT/Boost combo, B&W Turnover ball gooseneck, Tow Champ 16K 5th wheel, <font color="blue">Sirius sattelite radio,</font>, laptop desk, 2400 watt 110V power inverter.</font>

post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 07:19 AM

My Photos: (16)

I have to agree some what on different brands of fuel. Some brands I get better mileage on than I do others,(same trip, driving condition etc...) I know some of the brands come from the same BULK plant though, ALL the Exxon, Shell comes from the same plant in Roanoke, VA. The BP around here comes out of TN.

-Aaron
'04 F250 6.0L 4x4 6 SPD
2" Leveling Kit, 37x13x18 Xterrains, 18"x9" Rockstars, 3.5" Hangers, Ladder Bars, Front/Rear Bumper Replacement, Bed Liner, Acetoned Badges, LED ID Bar, GOS upgraded headlight harness, Black Headlights/Corners, Smoked Cab Lights, Euro Taillights, 4" Turbo Back w/ 6" Tip, Proguard 7 Intake, Outlook Monitor, South Bend Clutch, Centramatics, SCT by DJ, Train Horn, Air compressor w/ 5 gal. tank, CCV rerouted, Fluidampr, Fuel Crossover, DAHL 100, Banjo Bolts Drilled & Regulator Shimmed, Zoodad, Oil Bypass w/ Billet Filter Caps, Coolant Filter, Accufab Intake Elbow, midwesttrans short throw shifter, LIPD Fuel System, 4.30 gears

404 / 778 on Dunbar's Dyno
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 03:59 PM

I thought I remember something about the Shell fuel already having an additive in the fuel, thats one reason they always are higher on the fuel prices....

99.5 F-350 C/C Dually, Stealth HPOP, Full Force Diesel stroked A code injectors, Holset turbo, AEM intake.
post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 04:35 PM

This one has been batted around forever. Diesel fuel is a commodity product, which does have to meet a certain standard (ASTM 975?). In any given area all the fuel comes from the same tanks at the same terminals whether it is #2 heating, red dyed for non-taxed off road, or headed for your favorite local dealer. We've had posters here that hauled the stuff and explained there is no "brand" difference, except possibly in the additive package that is added (to diesel fuel) to the truck when loading for delivery to whichever retailer.
It is unclear to me whether or not retailers could order different additive packages or concentrations of the same one, but that might well be the case. Obviously handling issues of freshness, cleanliness, and water contamination would vary with each station. If the additive packages were different, the fuels from one brand to another might be too, but how much difference could that make in mileage or performance? Too little to measure would be my guess. You can buy the same stuff in a Stanadyne or Power Service bottle and prove that. Water management, lubricity, and cold weather insurance are better reasons to use the stuff, and if you're willing to bet it's already in there, you probably don't need them.
Then there's the issue of #1 #2 winter blends which will definitely reduce mileage.

'05 F-350 PSD 4x4 CC SB SRW Manual
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 05:21 PM

My Photos: (17)

Marvin,
That's a great question and no - you're not crazy. Let me begin by telling you that I work in a major refinery on the Gulf Coast in Beaumont, Texas and I've made gasoline, diesel fuel, jet, avgas and other fuels for 25 years so anything I tell you is fact and not opinion. Many companies buy products from each other for many reasons - to save transportation costs, because of lost capacity due to problems or shutdowns (like BP in Texas City right now) and other reasons so there is no garantee that , for example, the Chevron diesel that you bought may have been made in an Exxon refinery. There are standards that all manufacturers must maintain and the Dept. of Agriculture audits fuel stations regularly. Some of you may have seen them. They present the clerk with a voucher and then they fill a 5 gallon can for a testing sample. That is why the dealers that put regular in the super tank won't be in business for long. I'm not sure how often these audits are done, but I can't imagine that it would be any less than once a year and it is always a surprise inspection.
No manufacturer has a fuel that is superior to anyone elses. No manufacturer will exceed the required standard because of lost revenue. If they sell diesel with a higher cetane number or gasoline with a higher octane number that is called "product giveaway" and the business climate won't tolerate that.
I have no doubts that you did, in fact, feel a difference in fuel of different brands. Let me assure you that the difference was due to age or cleanliness of the fuel or possible water contamination and not any variance in fuel quality from one brand to another.
If you have any questions about fuel or the manufacturing process please feel free to PM me.

2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 05:48 PM

I pass by the tank farm that Shell uses in Pasadena, Texas and there are some tanks labled Premium Diesel Fuel Additive. I spoke with a tank truck driver at a Shell station one day while filling up with premiun diesel and I asked him if there was a difference in Shell diesel and Shell Premium Diesel and he said there was. Premium diesel has an additive that is blended with regular diesel while the trucks are being loaded. He also said it was for smaller diesel engines and had a higher cetane rating than #2 diesel. My 2000 PSD Excursion runs better and quiter and gets better mileage with Shell premium diesel. My worst mileage is with Murphy (Walmart) diesel.

2015 Ford F250 King Ranch Superduty Crew Cab FX4
post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marvin,
That's a great question and no - you're not crazy. Let me begin by telling you that I work in a major refinery on the Gulf Coast in Beaumont, Texas and I've made gasoline, diesel fuel, jet, avgas and other fuels for 25 years so anything I tell you is fact and not opinion. Many companies buy products from each other for many reasons - to save transportation costs, because of lost capacity due to problems or shutdowns (like BP in Texas City right now) and other reasons so there is no garantee that , for example, the Chevron diesel that you bought may have been made in an Exxon refinery. There are standards that all manufacturers must maintain and the Dept. of Agriculture audits fuel stations regularly. Some of you may have seen them. They present the clerk with a voucher and then they fill a 5 gallon can for a testing sample. That is why the dealers that put regular in the super tank won't be in business for long. I'm not sure how often these audits are done, but I can't imagine that it would be any less than once a year and it is always a surprise inspection.
No manufacturer has a fuel that is superior to anyone elses. No manufacturer will exceed the required standard because of lost revenue. If they sell diesel with a higher cetane number or gasoline with a higher octane number that is called "product giveaway" and the business climate won't tolerate that.
I have no doubts that you did, in fact, feel a difference in fuel of different brands. Let me assure you that the difference was due to age or cleanliness of the fuel or possible water contamination and not any variance in fuel quality from one brand to another.
If you have any questions about fuel or the manufacturing process please feel free to PM me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can vouch for what he said 100%. I used to work in a privately owned EPA certified laboratory in Pasadena, Tx (near all the big refineries). We would test all the different manufactures fuel/ oil at different times of the year (there are quite a few refineries off HWY 225 in Pasadena, Tx). None of them will make their fuel better, no matter what they say. It is a loss of money for them to refine there fuel more and they will not do it. When people say they got bad fuel, it's usually because the fuel tanks (at the fuel/ gas station) are either old, the fuel is old, the fuel station does not get a lot of traffic or it has moisture/ water contamination. The best place to get fuel from is a place that gets a lot of traffic through it. That way, the fuel is usually newer than the station that does not get lots of traffic.

99.5 F250 XLT S/C 6SPD
ITP Intank ModsLUK clutch w/ Kevlar pilotAFE Stage1Red Top OptimasReflexxion Cowl Hood

post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-07-2005, 08:54 PM Thread Starter

So if I have a HUGE big rig stop close by thats probably the newest fuel?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in