Differences in Fuel by company? Texaco, Shell, etc.? Am I nuts? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 07:19 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Differences in Fuel by company? Texaco, Shell, etc.? Am I nuts?

With out question that is your freshest fuel. If the truck traffic is heavy even at a regular station you will get fresh fuel. The big trucks are fueling up to 300 gallons at a time. At that rate it wont take long for the in ground tanks to be refilled. Stay away from stations that only have 1 diesel pump, most of the bigger trucks do. Look for a station with multiple pumps and you will have a lot of fuel traffic there.

FOMOGO

2001 F-250 Lariat, Black, CC, SB, 2WD
304 hp and 627 tq on Dunbars Dyno

2001 F-250 XL standard cab, beater, hauling trash... Stock except for a 60 horse flash...
304hp and 617 tq on Dunbars Dyno

2001 F-250 Xl Standard cab, project truck...

Custom Tunes by DP-Tuner, Custom Fuel System by ITP Diesel, Custom Trans by BTS

Ford Makes It - International Shakes It
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 07:40 AM

Add me to the nuts list. Because I filled up with diesel from Texaco and I thought that there was something wrong with my truck but was unable to get it in to the shop for about a week. Well I needed to refule so I stoped at a shell by the house and to make a long story short the truck never went to the shop and the only diesel that sees my truck comes from shell.

2001 F-250 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat, 6 Speed, 4 inch lift, 35 12.50 16.5 BFG
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 09:43 AM

Most of my friends that drive big rigs say to try fuel from a Flying-J truck stop. I have not tried any yet so I cant comment but I am sure Hammer will chime in.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

FOMOGO

2001 F-250 Lariat, Black, CC, SB, 2WD
304 hp and 627 tq on Dunbars Dyno

2001 F-250 XL standard cab, beater, hauling trash... Stock except for a 60 horse flash...
304hp and 617 tq on Dunbars Dyno

2001 F-250 Xl Standard cab, project truck...

Custom Tunes by DP-Tuner, Custom Fuel System by ITP Diesel, Custom Trans by BTS

Ford Makes It - International Shakes It
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 01:25 PM

My Photos: (1)

If you get "bad" fuel you definately see the difference but that should be pretty obvious. I travel alot and even though I try to stay with the "big" names occasionally I don't have a choice and get stuck using "Bubba'a Blend" diesel. That's why I use Stanadyne religiously. With my old GMC I experienced numerous problems with water, contaminates, and lubricity issues. After I learned about additives and changes in diesel fuel over the last 10-20 years I decided I would'nt run without it. I've been adding it to every tank in my Ford since day one and my filter is always spotless at changes and I've never had any moisture either. I've used diesel from some really questionable places in the middle of nowhere and to date NO PROBLEMS! Although I probably just signed my trucks death warrant with this post. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] bOOmer

2002 F350 7.3L Lariat CC DRW, PermaCool Trans Cooler, BD Deep Sump Tranny Cover, Transgo Shift Kit, BD PressueLoc, Volant Cool Air Intake, K&N 2ndGen Filter, TS Performance 6 Pos Program, Cyclone Power Fan, BD "Xmonitor" A pillar mount(Trans temp,Pyro,& Boost), Autometer 3 gauge dashtop cluster(Oil Press,Water temp,&Volts), MagHyTec diff cover. Banks 4" Monster Exhaust (turbo back), Stanadyne Performance Formula (At every fuel up), XM Radio, Retrax Bed Cover, Yaesu FT-100 w/ATAS-100 antenna, Clifford RSX 3.5
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 02:34 PM

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]
Most of my friends that drive big rigs say to try fuel from a Flying-J truck stop. I have not tried any yet so I cant comment but I am sure Hammer will chime in.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

FOMOGO

[/ QUOTE ]

I typically buy fuel from Flying-J for my big rig because they tend to have slightly lower prices. I can't say I've noticed much difference between fuels in my Cummins N14 unless I added my own additive brew to the fuel. On the other hand, I typically fuel my PSD at one of two places here in the Charleston region. I either go to Angler's truck stop in Summerville who get their fuel brought in from the Hess Depot on Virginia avenue. Or I drive to a small truck fuel stop which is an Amoco station over off of Mantague ave in N.charleston, they get their fuel from the BP/Amoco fuel depot on Daniel Island. Angler's is much closer to my house but I like to drive to the affore mentioned Amoco station because I swear my truck runs better and smoother after I fill up there. Angler's definately has high turnover because they bring a couple tankers a day to fill the diesel tanks. The Amoco station gets alot of container trucks, fedex trucks, and other local LTL carriers from Banco drive. So they both have fuel turnover. Amoco may additize their fuel diffferently.

Hammer

Check out what I recently bought:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red">
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
</font>

Get Your Tuning Here:
and your Fuel kits here:
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2005, 05:01 PM

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]

FOMOGO

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say in almost 50K miles I have used Flying J (even driving 100 mi RT to get fuel when the prices were lower) for all but around 10 tank fulls and have only filled up or gotten fuel from a non truck type stop like two or three times one being at MCRD in San Diego.

Larry, keeper of the <font color="red"> New revised </font><font color="blue">"little secrets" </font> CLICK HERE [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font>
, BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF
, ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets"
, & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's why I use Stanadyne religiously. With my old GMC I experienced numerous problems with water, contaminates, and lubricity issues. After I learned about additives and changes in diesel fuel over the last 10-20 years I decided I would'nt run without it. I've been adding it to every tank in my Ford since day one and my filter is always spotless at changes and I've never had any moisture either. I've used diesel from some really questionable places in the middle of nowhere and to date NO PROBLEMS! bOOmer

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with b00mer. I have been using Stanadyne since 4K (I now have 55K), and have had no fuel issues. I just got off a 1 month experiment of not using the additive, and I noticed a marked difference in the way the engine ran. It was a long month, and I finally got a new case. BTW, Shell has been the only station that shows a C rating of 45 min for their premium fuel. All other I have been to that list their fuel as premuim but show their C rating as 40 min.

2003 F-250 CC King Ranch 6.0L - BGShrek
2004 BMW 1150RT - Ltldnky
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In any given area all the fuel comes from the same tanks at the same terminals whether it is #2 heating, red dyed for non-taxed off road, or headed for your favorite local dealer. We've had posters here that hauled the stuff and explained there is no "brand" difference, except possibly in the additive package that is added (to diesel fuel) to the truck when loading for delivery to whichever retailer.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is NOT true. BP/Amoco have their own pipelines. If you get TRUE Amoco Fuel it's not out of the same pipelines as the other stations. In N. Va the Amoco fuels come out of Richmond BP tank farm. All the other fuels come from the Fairfax Texeco Tank Farm or the Lorton, Exxon tank farm. BP/Amoco only sell there Amoco fuel to the BP/Amoco stations.

This is true in many parts of the country. If the pump says "Power Blend Diesel" or "Preimier Blend Diesel" it's Amoco Fuel from the Amoco pipeline and will be minimum 47 Cetane.

Wayne B

2000 F-250 XLT PSD 4X4 ESOF Auto, SC, LB, Gauges, Mag-HyTech Trans Pan & Rear End Cover, <font color="red"> (((XM))) Inside</font>, ATV Racks w/ Two Kawasaki Prairie 400 4X4's sitting on them, 25' Rockwood TT. Ashburn, Va. Member # 103

post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 09:48 PM

My Photos: (24)

[ QUOTE ]
If the pump says "Power Blend Diesel" or "Preimier Blend Diesel" it's Amoco Fuel from the Amoco pipeline and will be minimum 47 Cetane.

[/ QUOTE ]
You will also notice it is clear and not a yellow or green color. You have to be careful because not all BP stations sell the good stuff. Found that out last winter.
Jim

2001, F250 4x4, CC, Auto; Mobil 1 in transfer case&Trans.; Frantz Bypass Filter; "Hutch" fuel mods; Sonnax/Tricum mod;
, 30" MagnaFlow; Attitude in A-Pillar and tranny gauge in
AIS; EASE Diagnostics; Reese Slider Hitch; Fr Rotors, Cryo Treated&Slotted by ART.
post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-14-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You have to be careful because not all BP stations sell the good stuff. Found that out last winter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, you have to make sure the pump says "Power Blend Diesel". If the pump doesn't say "Power Blend Diesel" it's not Amoco diesel.

Wayne B

2000 F-250 XLT PSD 4X4 ESOF Auto, SC, LB, Gauges, Mag-HyTech Trans Pan & Rear End Cover, <font color="red"> (((XM))) Inside</font>, ATV Racks w/ Two Kawasaki Prairie 400 4X4's sitting on them, 25' Rockwood TT. Ashburn, Va. Member # 103

post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 05:06 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

You might want to check the "Cetane" rating of the fuel. It's the diesel equivalent of octane in gasoline. Usually it's found in the 38-40 range; however, I have run Hess fuel @42 cetane and the truck runs better and mpg is better. That could possible account for what you have seen...

2012 F-350 Lariat, 4x4 DRW Crew cab, diesel, sterling grey met w/ black leather int.
Gooseneck hitch kit
5th wheel hitch
snow plow pkg
upfitter switches

Gone:2006 F-350 Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Box, 4x4, dually, PSD, TS, Dark Shadow Gray metallic, Flint leather interior

NASCAR Asphalt Modified now running in
SCCA "SPO" class at Watkins Glen
1968 Z-28 Camaro -Matching #'s car
Owned since 12/1972
2005 Dodge Hemi Magnum "RT"
(My Wifes Passion)
2009 Pontiac G8-GT
2005 Ford Taurus SE

post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 06:45 AM

My Photos: (2)

Does anyone know what the "owners manual" says the Cetane rating should be for the 2005 2006 MY? My truck wont be here for about two more weeks or so.

The local Citgo station close to the house is where I plan to buy 99% of the diesel fuel used in the truck.........the pump says Premium Diesel - but I have not looked to see if the Cetane rating is posted.

They have 8 diesel pumps and about 32 gas pumps. There is almost always a long line waiting for both gas and diesel. I think it is the most busy station I have every seen; but all the pumps are lightening fast and most likely the most friendly station operators around.

2006 F250 4x4 Lariat CrewCab SB, FX4, 20" w/GoodYears
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 04:13 PM

I would say it does matter I used Shell Diesel for the first 6000 miles then switched over to Diamond Shamrock..And noticed a 2 mile per gallon decrease on the first tank. It has been the same for the past 6k miles even using stanadyne performance formula. Next tank I'm going to switch back to shell. Its a little more expensive 3-4 cents but it seems to pay for its self
post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (14)

Well this has been an interesting thread. So far Ive run Texaco, Shell, Chevron and an off market place called Astro.

When I bought the thing, the old owner had been using Astro and it ran fine for the remainder of that tank. I thought name brand would be better so bought Shell. That seemed OK. Was out of town and ran Texaco. The Texaco ran like crap and I finally got it through by diluting it with Shell, then found a Chevron and it runs great. Best it ever has and quieter. May be some strange coincidence that caused it to run bad on the Texaco but I wont go back to test it out.

2001 F-350 Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,4X4,Auto,7.3,2"lift,KYBs, 3.73, steel oil x-over, aFe Stage II Pro 7, AirCond mod, Fumoto, DP 60,80,100. AIH Delete, hi-lite/fog-lite on mod. CNC HPOP hoses. 360 degree illumination six light LED system for backup, fog and sides. Dead bird in grill. Part of finger in new ball joint nut. (really!)
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You might want to check the "Cetane" rating of the fuel. It's the diesel equivalent of octane in gasoline. Usually it's found in the 38-40 range; however, I have run Hess fuel @42 cetane and the truck runs better and mpg is better. That could possible account for what you have seen...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so. Cetane rating relates to the ease of igniting the fuel. The higher the cetane number, the easier to ignite. Just about the reverse of octane rating of gasoline. Of course nothing is that simple, but higher cetane rating does not necessarily mean better fuel or better mileage. The higher the cetane rating, the lower the BTU potential, so theoretically, less work done. Again theoretically, the lowest cetane rating that will give reliable ignition would give the highest output or mileage. As with everything else, it's a compromise.
Doesn't much matter anyway, all diesel has to meet the standard ASTM 975 which results in a cetane rating of 40 minimum. Some is higher by a few points and is often called "premium", which is a pretty meaningless term.
Don't expect to change anybody's mind, but all the fuel we can buy is pretty much the same, or at least left the terminal that way, and in any given area it all comes from the same place regardless of brand.

'05 F-350 PSD 4x4 CC SB SRW Manual
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in