Do you prefer captain's chairs or bench seat in the front? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Do you prefer captain's chairs or bench seat in the front?

I'm itching to order an '06 to replace my '02 that I sold and basically I'm undecided on which seats to get. My '02 had captain's chairs but I'm leaning towards the split bench this time. It'd be helpful to see why others have chosen one over the other.

Thanks!
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Oilguard bypass, LUK clutch, Banks Monster Exhaust, "Wicked Wheel", Amsoil trans filter, TTM, Kirban regulator, Single-circuit fuel mod, LL inj. and CV's removed, H/X kit, Tank/pump upgrades, Racor 30 micron fuel filter, ltjhawk Exhaust Brake, Advanced Covers folding tonneau, Mag-hytec Dana 80 cover, Cat delete, Husky floor mats/mud guards. (SOLD and looking at '06 6.0)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 06:58 PM

Re: Do you prefer captain's chairs or bench seat in the front?

I've had both and comfort wise the captains are great but if you need to haul that extra person around then the bench would be a better bet.

refuse2

2005 F-250 Dark Toreador Red, Lariat Lux. package, 6.0 PSD, TNN0 Pcm code, Torqueshift auto trans, 4x4, ESOF, tow command, Fumoto valve, Magnaflow 4" turbo back and no kitty, Sirius Satellite radio, Retrax bed cover, Harpoon mod, ccv mod, GOS headlight harness, Fog Light High Beam Mod, Heated mirrors upfitter #1, AIC upfitter #4, Wix Powertrap with no mass airflow sensor, Direct Injection Performance Coolant filter, Oil Guard by-pass, and Schaeffers 5w40.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:06 PM

My Photos: (23)

[ QUOTE ]
if you need to haul that extra person around then the bench would be a better bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

The extra person can sit in the bed of the truck, captain's seats for me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

My html Version of the
Now with 2005 Updates

2003 F-350 Lariat CC/6.0L Diesel/TorqShift/3.73/FX4/SRW/Dark Shadow Gray.
Born on date: Jan 20, 2003
Number of reflashes done: 2 (05E15 Jan 8, 2007)
Number of C94 injectors replaced: 1 (#4 Jan 30, 2015)
Number of times the EGR valve has been replaced/cleaned: 0 (updated: 9/17/2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:10 PM

My Photos: (4)

I'm partial to the captain's chairs. Have them in both the X and F-350, wouldn't go back to the bench.

Diesels in the shed:

'05 F350 SRW 4x4,6.0,Torqueshift,CC,LB,Lariat Luxury Package,EBC,Upfitters,Rhinoed,B&W,Black
'04 Excursion Limited,4x4,6.0,Black
Kubota L5030 HSTC
Kubota ZD21 ZTR
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:23 PM

My Photos: (5)

I like the shallow arm rest console on my split bench. Have captains chairs in the chebby tahoe but the console between the chairs is too deep and everything seems to get lost. I hate to go "clamming" looking for something deep in the console of the chebby tahoe while I'm screaming down the expressway.

The bolsters in the '05 Ford split bench seats make them almost like captains chairs anyway. The only thing I wish Ford would have done was have made the head rests tiltable. Anyone know if and where you can get aftermarket tiltable headrests?

6.0L, F-250 XLT, Torqueshift, S/C, L/B, FX4, 3.73

Truck Build Date: 02/05/05 Kentucky
Engine Build Date: 02/03/05 Indianapolis

Gone but not forgotten - '99 7.3L F-250 XLT S/C, L/B
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 07:33 PM

This is my second Ford with captains chairs. I think they are great. I also like the large console. My '97 had a dome lid, not so good. My '05 has a flat lid with clip, much better.

2005 F-350 Lariat, 6L PSD,6 speed, Extra cab, long bed, 4x4 SRW;
with everything but a moon roof. ordered 3/11/05. Recieved 5/5/05, Replaced one injector at 1.5K.
Pace Edwards rack and tonneau cover. Line-X bed
1997 F-250 XLT 4x4 5.4 gasser
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 08:37 PM

But if yours is like mine it has its fair share of scratches on it but after all it is a truck.

refuse

2005 F-250 Dark Toreador Red, Lariat Lux. package, 6.0 PSD, TNN0 Pcm code, Torqueshift auto trans, 4x4, ESOF, tow command, Fumoto valve, Magnaflow 4" turbo back and no kitty, Sirius Satellite radio, Retrax bed cover, Harpoon mod, ccv mod, GOS headlight harness, Fog Light High Beam Mod, Heated mirrors upfitter #1, AIC upfitter #4, Wix Powertrap with no mass airflow sensor, Direct Injection Performance Coolant filter, Oil Guard by-pass, and Schaeffers 5w40.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:35 PM

i had a bench seat in my 01, but have captains in my 05. at first i was unhappy because i was used to resting my arm on the fold down console. i have gotten used to the little armrest that i use now, plus i love the looks of the captains over the bench. and my wife can't sit in the middle anymore and make me look like i am p whipped.

05 F-250 Lariat CC 4x4 Black and Silver
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:40 PM

I have bench in both my 01 and 05!!

05 White XL 6.0 Reg Cab 4X4 170,500 miles!!
---07 Shelby GT500--- Performance White Vert-- Mods-- JLT Intake, 2.6" upper & 10% IW Lower Pulleys, AFCO Duel Pass Heat Ext., American Racing Long Tube Headders, Full 3" Magnaflow Exhaust, Evolution Stage 4 Tune, BMR Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft, Steeda UCA & LCAs Currie 9" 1:3:75s True-Trac locker, Proglass Cold Air Hood, 36,500 miles---11.491 1/4 mile! 592RWHP
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 03:16 AM

Get the bench for the extra curricular acctivities [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

2005 F-250 CC SWB XLT-Sport 4x4 All White
Engine Built 01/04/05 in Indy
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
"He's dead now!" United States Marine Falluja, Iraq
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

[ QUOTE ]
Get the bench for the extra curricular acctivities [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Thanks so much for the helpful comments ... it looks as if the captain's chairs are favored about 2 to 1 over the bench seats. This is one of the more difficult decisions to make since I can see the appeal of both. It seems to me that the bench seats are more utilitarian and the captain's chairs are more stylish. I don't have any experience using the folding armrest with the bench seats but it looks like it'd be more comfortable as an arm rest. I'm wondering if my dog might be comfortable in the front with a bench seat ... wearing a seat belt of course. There's no way that she'd fit on a captain's chair.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Oilguard bypass, LUK clutch, Banks Monster Exhaust, "Wicked Wheel", Amsoil trans filter, TTM, Kirban regulator, Single-circuit fuel mod, LL inj. and CV's removed, H/X kit, Tank/pump upgrades, Racor 30 micron fuel filter, ltjhawk Exhaust Brake, Advanced Covers folding tonneau, Mag-hytec Dana 80 cover, Cat delete, Husky floor mats/mud guards. (SOLD and looking at '06 6.0)

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 07:25 AM

My Photos: (2)

For the 05 and 06 F250/350 the chairs are actually the same.

You can get the 40/20/40 seating or the captain chairs..........but the seat portion is now the same in boat trucks. This is not like it was years ago with a bench or split bench system.

So the advantages to the "40/20/40" system are:

1. Exact same chairs as captian chairs except you enjoy slightly greater "width" (about 1") because the ultra narrow "almost useless" arm rest is not nailed to the side of the chair.

2. A monster big arm rest in the middle that anybody can use, with storage. This mimicks the design of the current F150 console with the big usefull armrest.

3. An extra "jump" seat in the middle, just in case you need to get that extra person in the truck.

Most dealers in our area make a big mistake by ordering 100% of their trucks with captain chairs, it is rare to find the 40/20/40 in stock..........once you actually "see" they are the exact same chair except "better" even more people would be buying them.

Most people and dealers still think they are split bench systems, they are NOT.

Look at it. Drive it. You will see.

Note: Ford's design for 2007 will completely change for captian chairs and actually copy the current F150, with a full blown console with a real armrest etc. This will correct some of the design flaws of the current captian chairs design. Hopefully they will retain the functionality of the 40/20/40.

There is a major design flaw in the seats to the current F150. You can raise and lower "only" the seat cushion and not the "seat back" like you can in the current 05/06 F250/350's This is one reason so many find the seats in the F150 so uncomfortable; the seat back is too high or too low for most people. When you raise or lower the seats in the F250/350 it all moves as one unit, going wherever you want it too.

2006 F250 4x4 Lariat CrewCab SB, FX4, 20" w/GoodYears
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:06 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)

HoustonPerson is almost right. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

The actual seat part of the 40/20/40 is identical to the seat part of the so-called captain's chairs. Except for those tiny armrests tacked onto the so-called captain's chairs, the backrests are also identical. That's been true since the '99 came out.

So sit in both types in "driving mode" and determine which you'd prefer for a long trip.

I don't like anything interfering with my driving, so I don't use an "arm rest". The tiny little fold-down armrests on the so-called captain's chairs would not be used on the road. The huge fold-down console/armrest of the 40/20/40 would not be used on the road. But for me, the 40/20/40 is more useful overall. So that's what I ordered.

I say "so-called" captains chairs because the current design is a cheap substitute for the real thing. I had real FlexSteel Captain's Chairs in my '77 Chateau E-Van, and they were great. Expensive, but great. Way back then, the two Captains Chairs were about a $1,000 option over the very nice stock Chateau seats. (That would be over $2,000 today.) But the current crop of "free" captains chairs is cheap construction and so so in comfort compared to those.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:41 AM

Hotties/gf/wifey can't sit next to you and do unmentionable things with the captains chairs. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

... and since I'm already in the minority here, let me also say that I think buying the leather was a mistake. It looks nice, but isn't nearly as comfortable on long trips. It doesn't breath well.

Take a look at long haul truck seats,... even in most of the expensive semi/custom trucks, they use cloth seats.

2005 F350 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 Dually 6.0 PSD Lariat with Tow Boss/4.30
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:42 AM

My Photos: (2)

Yeah that is what I ordered too; the 40/20/40.....it just seemed so much better overall.

One of the seating advantages of the F250 over the F150 is that we can can actually squeeze 7 people in the truck and the F150 only 5 (our wakeboard trips)..........sometimes that can prevent taking an extra car for trips. Those few extra inches inside the cab and the 40/20/40 make a big difference..........yes some of them are skinny people LOL

BTW, the 40/20/40 in the F150 really does not work IMO, unless you weigh less than 50 lbs and 3'5" tall.

2006 F250 4x4 Lariat CrewCab SB, FX4, 20" w/GoodYears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in