Do you prefer captain's chairs or bench seat in the front? - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:18 AM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Do you prefer captain's chairs or bench seat in the front?

I think CAKE put it best...Bench seats for me...

Stickshifts and safetybelts,
Bucket seats have all got to go.
When we're driving in the car,
It makes my baby seem so far.
I need you here with me,
Not way over in a bucket seat.
I need you to be here with me,
But when we're driving in my Malibu,
It's easy to get right next to you.
I say, "Baby, scoot over, please."
And then she's right there next to me.
I need you here with me,

Well a lot of good cars are Japanese.
But when we're driving far,
I need my baby,
I need my baby next to me.

Well, stickshifts and safetybelts,
Bucket seats have all got to go.
When we're driving in the car,
It makes my baby seem so far.
I need you here with me,

Mark Radelow
1999 Ford F250 PSD Crew Cab Short Bed 4x4
2004 BMW ///M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:54 PM

My Photos: (1)

I gotta agree with atkinsr, The leather has alot to be desired on long trips. Now the Companies 2001 F350 CC has "Captain's Chairs" but my 2002 has the "40-20-40". I thought I would be dissapointed with the "40-20-40", but as others have mentioned I've noticed no difference between the two during actual road trips. The big diff IMO is the storage available and the extra "jump" seat, (My grand daughter is convinced I got that just for her [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]). My wife literally hates these seats, PERIOD!! For some reason she cannot get comfortable and on long trips complains unless she has 3 pillows and some "bean bag" contraption. Maybe she's just too short. Unfortunately I feel obligated to take her with me when traveling so I gotta listen to it. The seats suit me fine, it's her that rubs me the wrong way [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]. Hope she never she's this post. bOOmer

2002 F350 7.3L Lariat CC DRW, PermaCool Trans Cooler, BD Deep Sump Tranny Cover, Transgo Shift Kit, BD PressueLoc, Volant Cool Air Intake, K&N 2ndGen Filter, TS Performance 6 Pos Program, Cyclone Power Fan, BD "Xmonitor" A pillar mount(Trans temp,Pyro,& Boost), Autometer 3 gauge dashtop cluster(Oil Press,Water temp,&Volts), MagHyTec diff cover. Banks 4" Monster Exhaust (turbo back), Stanadyne Performance Formula (At every fuel up), XM Radio, Retrax Bed Cover, Yaesu FT-100 w/ATAS-100 antenna, Clifford RSX 3.5
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 01:36 PM

88 Crew Stick and bench vinyl
04 Crew Stick and 40/20/40 Bench Leather with heat
06 Crew Auto and 40/20/40 Bench Leather with heat
Thinking about 40/20/40 Bench Leather with heat for the rear too.
EDWARD
P.S. Recent run Phoenix to So Cal into the sun 117 outside and still comfortable Black Truck with Sunroof and Grey Leather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

HoustonPerson,
I think you've made some excellent points and my next truck will have the split bench seat in front. I liked the captain's chairs in my '02 but the arm rest was next to useless for my geometry ... not sure if I have long arms or short arms but I rarely used it since it wasn't comfortable. For me, lumbar support is crucial and my '02 seats were great in that respect. Since you've mentioned that the two styles are fundamentally the same I think I'll go with the minority (the voting is close though) and order the bench seat.

Thanks EVERYONE for your thoughtful and insightful comments. This board continues to be an invaluable source of information.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

P.S. Smokey, I would normally take a test drive but the three local Ford dealers know that I won't buy from them so they have no interest in helping me out (it's understandable). I bought my last truck through Bobby Williams and will be doing the same for my '06.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Oilguard bypass, LUK clutch, Banks Monster Exhaust, "Wicked Wheel", Amsoil trans filter, TTM, Kirban regulator, Single-circuit fuel mod, LL inj. and CV's removed, H/X kit, Tank/pump upgrades, Racor 30 micron fuel filter, ltjhawk Exhaust Brake, Advanced Covers folding tonneau, Mag-hytec Dana 80 cover, Cat delete, Husky floor mats/mud guards. (SOLD and looking at '06 6.0)

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hotties/gf/wifey can't sit next to you and do unmentionable things with the captains chairs. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

put plain and simple...even the highway cuddle becomes obsolete with the captains plus the bench arm rest is unmatchable

99 DRW PSD super cab green/tan
16ft US Carge Enclosed Trailer filled with landscaping toys
98 banshee
03 skidoo mxz 800

06 2500 cummins
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 03:38 PM

My Photos: (2)

The first truck I got with Captain Chairs, I told all my buddies, I got these so none of you bastards can ever sit next to me!

Power provided by
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 04:01 PM
xtn

Just got my first SuperDuty last week. So excited about it!

Got the captains chairs and removed the plastic center console. Now my wife can "walk through" to the "crew" area to deal with the babies in back.

xtn

2003 F250 XLT, 6.0L, AT, 4X4, CC, SB, BUILT 04/03
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 12:02 AM

My Photos: (14)

Its such a lifestyle decision. I have dogs and kids. I like to put one or the other in the middle with us from time to time. I also couldnt live without that big drop down arm rest/hideaway for cell phones, money, etc.

Sometimes I have to get in the passenger side and scoot over if the Boss parks her truck too close to my side.

I am also with some of the others on the leather issue. Whats the big deal about it? Costs more and it isnt as comfortable. It takes extra stuff to keep it conditioned and it ends up cracking. I wouldnt go leather again.

2001 F-350 Lariat,CC,LB,SRW,4X4,Auto,7.3,2"lift,KYBs, 3.73, steel oil x-over, aFe Stage II Pro 7, AirCond mod, Fumoto, DP 60,80,100. AIH Delete, hi-lite/fog-lite on mod. CNC HPOP hoses. 360 degree illumination six light LED system for backup, fog and sides. Dead bird in grill. Part of finger in new ball joint nut. (really!)
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 09:31 AM

Captains chairs all the way. And I do me all the way. I love mine so much I know have quad captains in my 04 Sport. All black leather. I swapped my rear bench with my buddies harley davidson seats. You don't even notice the Logo in the headrest. I get many compliments on how cool it is as well. I would only go leather as well. I have never had an issue with Fords leather and it is much easier to keep clean. Cloth seats hold dust and smells. just wipe the leather and go. Next time you are in a auto with cloth seats go ahead and slap the seat. Watch the dust fly.
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 01:18 PM

My Photos: (6)

40/20/40 for me. I had the captain chairs before. They are no fun. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Plus i really like the big armrest, my German Shepard fits better on the bench, and it looks better to me too. Personal preference.

1994 F250 7.3 IDI Turbo SCLB XLT 2WD Auto, Silver/blue 146k (strange, but I like this one the most)

sold 2004 F250 CC 4X4 6.0 Lariat - born Apr/14/04
Camper pkg/ elect pedals/ 6 disk/ reverse sensor/ power slider/ chrome steps/ tint/ heated 40/20/40 /hitch / Arizona & Parchment /Revo 285s /cat-back / Bilstiens.

Ford Lemon / Replaced:
2003 F250 SC 4X4 6.0 Lariat - Born Dec/02/02 Camper pkg/elect pedals/6 disk/reverse sensor/chrome tube steps/heated captians chairs/hitch/Edge 2" leveling kit - White/Parchment - RIP
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 04:22 PM

I often need to seat 3 in the front seat and captains chairs will not allow for this. The bench seat also lets one of the children to ride in front with my wife and I when the other wants more space. Overall the bench seat just offers more flexability in use. If you NEVER need the extra seating then go with what YOU like. I have not tried captain's chairs in my CC but in friends van it made entrance and exits more difficult than with a bench

2004 F350 Lariat CC LB FX4 Auto, camper package, superhitch, rear susp air bags, Rancho 9000 shocks, 800W/1600W 115v power converter, Ultralite gauges in overhead 4 gauge pod, 04/04 build and engine Reman shortblock at 34,000 Due to oil leaks, MBRP turbo back, SCT extreme street by ID
10.5' camper, 20.5" Bayliner Cuddy 5.0 V8
1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 04:32 PM

I was debating this myself recently, and decided I'll be getting the "bench" when the time comes, for the same reasons already mentioned:

- they're the same seats as the captains chairs, except that they're connected
- extra people-carrying ability
- big, wide, comfy armrest + storage.... the little armrests on the captain's chairs just aren't right for my proportions, and the big center console seems it would be hard to find what you're looking for in there.

I just don't see any benefit to the captain's chairs over the 40/20/40 bench. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Ryan Arthur

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB DRW 4x4 4R100 4.10 Lariat

ISSPRO gauges, DIY Tymar, straight piped, ITP boost regulator and tee, ATS ported housing, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, DP-Tuner flip chip, BTS valve body |||
taillights/running boards/mirrors/rear, side lights wired as turn signals, upgraded headlight harness w/ Xtravisions,
|||
no more dingers, newer cupholder, fumoto, C-Betrs, locking fuel cap, mud flaps, wannabe air horn, Line-X, behind-seat storage shelf, intercooler foil wrap removed, SS HPX

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 08:41 PM

My Photos: (4)

Captains Chairs here. I won't go back to a bench now. The Capt chairs just seem more comfy on the long hauls.

Semper Fi

Ed
04' F250 C/C, SWB, 6.0L, 4x4, True Blue/Silver
ISSPRO Gauges, Firestone Air Bags, LEER Cap, Super Liner Spray In
I love my truck.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 05:38 PM

I liked the captains chairs so much that I have four of them in my truck! I am a big guy and I feel that when you fold down the center console it gets in my way. The consoles on my truck are HUGE so getting some boxes, etc into them to 'organize' them is a must. The back seat passengers are quite overwhelmed when seated similar to the front seats.

2008 F-250 Lariat SRW 4x4 CC SWB...
KEM tuned Minimaxx
... S&B CAI / MBRP Cool Duals
Dark Stone Metallic / Pueblo gold
Readylift 3.5" levelling kit
... Toyo MT 315/70/18(bigger than 35-12.50-18)

-----
--- BIG$HOW -------<տլ
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 06:53 PM

I very much prefer the split bench with the fold-down console. The console is higher than the captain's chairs storage thingy, making it much more comfortable to rest my right arm on while driving. Not to mention all the stuff in the console is higher up than in the captain's chair version, making it easier to get to.

2003 F-350 SRW XLT 7.3L 4R100 PSD 4x4 Supercab SB 3.73
1994 Dodge 3500 SLT Dually 5.9L Cummins NV4500 5spd US Gear "splitter" Exhaust brake 4x4
RETIRED: 1985 Chevy K20 6.2L Turbo-400 3spd auto 4x4 4.10
2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V-6 5-spd auto 4wd 3.55
NRA Life member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in