Dusty desert engine bay, wash? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.
"Forum sponsored by: CarParts.com"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dusty desert engine bay, wash?

Ok, I'm hesitant to ask this question because I think I know what I'm going to get...but here you go. How bad of an idea is it to wash a 7.3 engine bay that hasn't been gone over thoroughly first? i.e. wiring harnesses, pigtails, etc. Engine is in relatively perfect condition, no leaks, no codes, runs great, etc. It's just dirty. Is there any component of the engine I should completely avoid? I'm mostly worried about the electrical system.

Desert dust is starting to build up and I want to head this off sooner rather than later.

JARED

2000 7.3 PSD 4x4 Auto Trans., CC, short box 204,000 miles.
PHP Hydra, Bilstein 5100's, Bilstein steering stabilizers, Auto Meter 3 gauge pod--EGT, Trans Temp & Boost, Deep Trans Pan, Rotella ELC and T6 oil, DieselSite 203*, Riffraff Billet wheel, 4" turbo back MBRP 5" straight pipe, Donaldson 6637, 20" Fuel wheels wrapped with 37" MT's
Security: Ravelco (for the pro's), Viper (for the rookies), The Club 1100 Steering Wheel Lock (visual deterrent).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-06-2019, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJEdwards View Post
Ok, I'm hesitant to ask this question because I think I know what I'm going to get...but here you go. How bad of an idea is it to wash a 7.3 engine bay that hasn't been gone over thoroughly first? i.e. wiring harnesses, pigtails, etc. Engine is in relatively perfect condition, no leaks, no codes, runs great, etc. It's just dirty. Is there any component of the engine I should completely avoid? I'm mostly worried about the electrical system.

Desert dust is starting to build up and I want to head this off sooner rather than later.

JARED

I would cover alternator and the fuse boxes on the drivers along with your air filter and just try and keep from spraying electrical connections directly I would just use garden hose pressure not a pressure washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 F250 7.3 4inc exhaust, Ts 6 pos chip witch custom tunes, Built 4R100 w billet triple disc converter, 6.0 trans cooler and deep tans pan, CCV mod, 4 gauge pod A piller,Boost,Trans temp,EGT,fuel pressure AFE intake,RIFFRAFF Frx fuel Rail dead head fix black spring,High Flow banjo bolts,High Flow CVD Fitting, Harpoon mod,Diesel site adrenaline HPOP,AIH Plug,Plenum Reinforcing Inserts. FULL FORCE DIESEL STAGE 1.5 single shot injectors, Garrett powermax GTP38R and blank pedestal, RIFFRAFF Intercooler CAC Boots with complete clamp kit , scanegauge 2
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000F250-7.3 View Post
I would cover alternator and the fuse boxes on the drivers along with your air filter and just try and keep from spraying electrical connections directly I would just use garden hose pressure not a pressure washer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I appreciate the tips. I've washed other engine bays plenty before. I worry about my 7.3 after hearing enough instances of folks discovering water/moisture in an electrical connection that runs thinks afoul.

Jared

2000 7.3 PSD 4x4 Auto Trans., CC, short box 204,000 miles.
PHP Hydra, Bilstein 5100's, Bilstein steering stabilizers, Auto Meter 3 gauge pod--EGT, Trans Temp & Boost, Deep Trans Pan, Rotella ELC and T6 oil, DieselSite 203*, Riffraff Billet wheel, 4" turbo back MBRP 5" straight pipe, Donaldson 6637, 20" Fuel wheels wrapped with 37" MT's
Security: Ravelco (for the pro's), Viper (for the rookies), The Club 1100 Steering Wheel Lock (visual deterrent).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:40 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Dust is an issue in CO also. As long as its dry dust then I occasionally use compressed air.

Even if you have to wash areas where the dust is caked with oil/diesel, blowing off the dry dust first cuts down alot on the risk of saturating things you don’t to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.

Last edited by ArcticDriver; 03-08-2019 at 06:26 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-07-2019, 04:45 PM

I simple green it first cold let sit a bit then hose off let set a little then fire up and let get to temp never had a problem done this many times
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 09:40 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Now and again I’ll get to spraying it down with some purple power then putting a gentle stream on the engine bay. Don’t sit there and dig a hard steam of water into your connections and whatnot and you should be ok. Otherwise a higher volume with low pressure to rinse the crud off of everything.

Glenn

2002 F-350/XLT/PSD/SRW/CC/LB/4x4OR/Auto 233k miles
Ford AIS, Edge Insight CTS2 (no tunes), ceramic coated International bellowed up-pipes, RiffRaff billet wheel, EBPV delete pedestal/outlet, RiffRaff boot set, Turbo Master mechanical waste gate actuator, 6.0 trans cooler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in