The Diesel Stop banner

Fan clutch? Anyone should be able to answer

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  meador123 
#1 ·
Quick ? I had Ford replace my fan clutch due to it running all the time, the new one they put in is fully engaged when starting and stays on until operating temp does anyone else's do this? I feel like it should stay off until temps rise... Ford is telling me there's not a problem and this is normal but I feel otherwise. Does anyone else's fan clutch stay on once started and turn off right at operating temp? My truck is a stock 00 7.3

#3 ·
Yes, I think that is normal.

#4 · (Edited)
Mine does it as well. Just replaced with a new OEM last year.

Seems counter intuitive, but even the old one did it. I'm not so sure it's so much a matter of the engine/coolant coming up to temp before it "disengages", as much as it is the viscous fluid internals of the clutch needing to warm up to reduce internal drag in the clutch mechanism. When the clutch is at ambient, there is a lot of drag (certainly makes it easier to install!), but once the CLUTCH itself is warmed a bit, it free-wheels. If I run my engine at high-idle for a few minutes (when cold), the clutch will release (fan noise reduces) long before the engine is up to temp.

I considered replacing the stock-design unit with a Warner electric fan clutch (thermostatically controlled), but they are quite pricey. However one advantage is that, a switch can be wired in to run the fan continuously if desired.

I don't think there's anything to worry about...

~Al

#6 ·
It is always so lovely and also stuffed with amusement for me and my office mates to visit your site at the least three times every week to read the new secrets you have got. Of course, I am usually happy with your eye-popping tactics you serve. Selected 1 points in this posting are particularly the very best we have all had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.