The Diesel Stop banner

Fender rust

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  79jasper 
#1 ·
I have had these chrome trim strips on my truck for years and decided to remove them and clean. What I found is disturbing. I’m wondering what the best approach would be here, should I repair the rust spots and look for a better fender flare to cover the discoloration that is left behind. Or, find a different fender flare that doesn’t hold moisture. I’ve even considered replacing the fender entirely and eliminate the strips. Either way, they’ve got to go. I’m interested to hear your opinions.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't think that you are going to find a fender flare that doesn't hold moisture. Still, I think that finding a fender flare to cover up that mess would be the way to go. It won't repair the damage and will not stop the damage from progressing to even worse, but at least it is an easy way to hide it for awhile longer. No one but you will know what is under there if it is well hidden.

Reactions: aclasshog
#3 ·
Had a buddy that cleaned it, then used roll on bedliner over it.
I would at least stop the rust before covering.
Honestly, I'm afraid to pull my flairs off.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

#4 ·
If the trim covers the rust I would consider “0spho” to stop and prevent new rust, paint, and reinstall trim. I have used both ospho and por-15 with huge success on my restorations. Here is their web site/ use of ospho:

http://www.ospho.com/

#5 ·
Appreciate the courteous replies. I'm going to talk to the body shop tomorrow and weigh a few options.

#6 ·
One thing worth mentioning.............and I know is not always possible— whatever application you choose for repair/and to rid off rust will depend an awful lot on storage and environment. While I will be pulling my bed and doing some resto this winter, road salt spray doesn’t bother me as I always rinse the undercarriage and my truck and my ‘59 Impala Sport Sedan stay parked in a heated garage (pole barn) which in itself does more to offset the cancer than anything else.

#7 ·
There are many who say warm water washes to remove winter road salt spray actually speeds up the corrosive reactions.

I suppose the heated pole barn might allow the moisture to evaporate?

#8 ·
Otoh, I've "heard" of car washes using similar chemicals in the water to keep it from freezing.
Imo, best thing a person could do is undercoat. Even DIY with fluid film would be better than nothing.

#11 ·
But I've not found anything to confirm that yet. Lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.