Front end damage - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Front end damage

Does anyone know where I could find the specs on the frame on my truck? I got hit in the front end / bumper, and am looking to see what the actual measurements are for the front of the frame horns. I believe the whole front end of the truck got pushed over by an inch, which is reflected in the new bumper and how it mounts, but I don't know what the measurements should be, or where to take them from.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191005_182313.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	401.5 KB
ID:	128132  

Name:	20191017_151640.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	563.5 KB
ID:	128134  

99.5 F250 7.3 PSD Supercab Shortbed 4x4 on 315 75 16s
Front leveling springs, Hutch and Harpoon mods, A pillar 3 gauge pod with DiPricol Trans, Boost and EGT, Scangauge II, CNC Fab HPOP and HPX lines, Riffraff FRX, 2004 Heated and Lighted mirrors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-22-2019, 09:55 PM

My Photos: (180)
Yep, it's bent.

Most any body shop should have the specs to straighten it, or at least tell you whether it's fixable.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 01:19 PM

Looking at the Left frame Horn (pushed over) was curious if the blocker beam was still attached at the time of the collision? Was there any damage to it?

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 03:36 PM

Andrew, the reason I ask is it’s hard to tell in the picture angle..... the left Horn is definitely twisted compared to the right. There is a weak area (IMO) in the frame directly behind the leaf spring front mount. If you look at my picture of my 2002 frame, just to the left of the reinforcement welds I put on the front hitch/blocker beam angle brackets, you will see the factory slotted holes in the frame. Hopefully the bending doesn’t go further back than that. The leaf spring bracket is factory plug welded to the frame inside the bracket slots.
Hope you’re able to get it straightened.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	12BACD18-AA61-4CB4-81D5-028656A2D462_1571945440675.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	128166  

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Mobil 1 ATF, Trans return line ATF filter, Hutch/Harpoon Mod, Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 rear air springs, Rancho 9000 shocks, Timbrens on the front.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 06:29 PM

FYI, Andrew's 99.5 didn't come with a blocker beam. Ford added those in '02, I believe.

Those slots in the frame are there so it bends in the "right" places during a collision. I believe there's a joint in the frame rails just aft of the front spring mounts, and the pieces to the front of that may be available for replacement. [on edit] Nope, not available anymore.

If the bends are more than a few degrees out, I don't think a shop will straighten them, especially if there are kinks at those slots. It's a liability thing, as it reduces the ability of the frame to absorb energy during a collision.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 10-24-2019 at 06:33 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 07:07 PM

Wow, my mistake then- I thought the “super duty” trucks came out with them. I remember reading the article that they were added due to crash studies involving smaller vehicles.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-24-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, no blocker beam. I wish, but I doubt it would have helped me much. Most of the impact went into bending the drag link, I was making a U turn and they decided to pass on the left. I didn't think much of it until I got the junkyard bumper and it was off center. I got lucky and got the fender, drag link with tie rod ends, header panel, headlights and bumper off the same truck, an 04. I thought I'd be getting an upgrade, but with the frame issue, I don't know yet.

Almost all of the impact was on the left front tire, and almost straight across the front bumper.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191012_122224.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	533.8 KB
ID:	128170  

Name:	20191005_182306.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	395.0 KB
ID:	128172  

Front leveling springs, Hutch and Harpoon mods, A pillar 3 gauge pod with DiPricol Trans, Boost and EGT, Scangauge II, CNC Fab HPOP and HPX lines, Riffraff FRX, 2004 Heated and Lighted mirrors
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 10:36 AM

When I bought mine as an insurance total in 2003, we replaced the front frame section including the cross member. I don't know if it is still available at Ford. Mine took a hit where the twin I beams were broken like 2 x 4's just to the driver side of center.

The replacement frame section is bolted and welded to the frame.

2002 F350 7.3 psd supercab dually 2wd, AIS, Moog joints, Bilstein, Michelin Defender LTX, Dieselsite coolant filter, red ELC, prepump spin-on fuel filter, 260,000 miles, hutch/harpoon mod, marinco mod, scan gauge ll, Zoodad, Dieselsite boots, pedestal delete, CNC Fab w/ crossover oil lines, 6.0 trans cooler, replaced oil pan, Walker BTM, Denso starter, bellowed up pipes, rebuilt oil cooler, billet dip stick adapter, HD glow plug relay

1974 CJ6 ... off the frame needs work
2013 Expedition... wife's car
Panhead ... 53 motor, 51 tanks, B grind cam, S&S carb, points, drum brakes ... It doesn't just sit in the garage
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-26-2019, 12:21 PM

I don’t trust the insurance company’s!!!!
I am not going to say “safety” never comes into play but from what I’ve seen it’s all about the almighty $ dollar.
I resurrected a totaled vehicle I bought back from the insurance company, and did it for under half of the insurers estimate.
I then put it back with them “on Liability” only.
The agent saw it and wanted me to put it back on full coverage- I told him to “take a hike!”

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Even if I had full coverage it wouldn't have helped. I left my direction of travel, so even though the other party was speeding and went to the left lane to pass, I'm at fault, at least according to the insurance company. They asked "Weren't you aware that they were behind you?"

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-27-2019, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew G View Post
Even if I had full coverage it wouldn't have helped. I left my direction of travel, so even though the other party was speeding and went to the left lane to pass, I'm at fault, at least according to the insurance company. They asked "Weren't you aware that they were behind you?"
If you had your signal on and the guy hit you from behind, it's his fault. That's my take, no matter what the other party's insurance company says. They will always deny it was their insureds fault. Was there a police report? You're not necessarily going to win, even if you're not at fault, because they have all the hammers.

), AIS,
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in