How should I wire my camper shell dome lights? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 03:54 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How should I wire my camper shell dome lights?

I picked up a used camper shell (got a steal of a deal) this weekend and the one dome light that was in it had the wires cut. I'm going to add at least one more dome light maybe two. They are the switched 12v type dome lights. I would like them to all work off one switch.

Here are the options I have thought of (all wired to a constant hot):

1. Wire the additional lamps in between the switch and the bulb of the existing lamp. This should allow all lamps to function off of the one rear switch.

2. Wire the lamps off of a push button type switch (don't know what they are called) like on the doors and have it illuminate off of the camper shell door opening.

3. Wire them off of an auxillary switch in the cab.

I'm probably going to get another fuse block to wire other accessories (4 Hella lights, power inverter, aux. reverse lights (coming soon), camper shell dome). Any other thoughts or suggestions?

2002 Super Duty 7.3 CC 4x4 - 4.5" Icon lift, 35x12.5x17 Toyo MTs on Weld Racing X-Landers, 08 Tow Mirrors, DP-Tuner, 38R, RR Plenum Inserts, RR Boots, HPx, Frx, 4" Magnaflow, IH Bellowed up-pipes, coolant filter, hutch and harpoon, Ford AIS, CCV mod, BTS, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Auburn LSD, 08 Diff. Cover, Pullrite SuperGlide 5th, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags, Pioneer P4300DVD, Rear Entertainment LCD and a new steering wheel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:03 PM

My Photos: (2)
Re: How should I wire my camper shell dome lights?

I would wire the lights together in sequence. By that, I mean wire both of the lights off off the existing light switch. I would not use a pin switch for when the camper shell door opens as there is no need for light during the day.

Black/05/F350/XLT/CC/LWB/FX4/SRW/3.73/6.0L PSD/ TorqShift/Updated TBC/Upfitter Switches/SEIC Mod/Diesel Site Coolant Filter/Fumoto Valve/ITEC HFCM Drain Plug/Bilstein Shocks/BFG A/T 28565R18/Built September of 2004

Texas Proud.
God Bless our Armed Forces.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (5)

The only reason I thought of a pin switch is since my truck is lifted. With the tailgate open I can barely touch the switch on the light. With a pin switch I could open the gate and hatch during the day and still use the switch on the light to cut power to the lights if the gate is going to be open for a while. I don't know.

2002 Super Duty 7.3 CC 4x4 - 4.5" Icon lift, 35x12.5x17 Toyo MTs on Weld Racing X-Landers, 08 Tow Mirrors, DP-Tuner, 38R, RR Plenum Inserts, RR Boots, HPx, Frx, 4" Magnaflow, IH Bellowed up-pipes, coolant filter, hutch and harpoon, Ford AIS, CCV mod, BTS, 6.0 Trans Cooler, Auburn LSD, 08 Diff. Cover, Pullrite SuperGlide 5th, Firestone Ride-Rite air bags, Pioneer P4300DVD, Rear Entertainment LCD and a new steering wheel
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2006, 04:32 PM

My Photos: (0)

If you're going to do that, you may as well wire a toggle switch on the inside of the hatch opening that you can easily reach to turn the lights on and off.
I don't have a bed cover (just a tonneau cover), but I put 2 lights along the left side of the bed railing, out of the way, and I wired them in sequence so that the pushbutton switch on the light closest to the back of the bed turns on both lights. I wired them hot, so I can use the lights whether the parking lights are on or not, and I don't have to rely on the outside Cab light to light things up. I love the lights because I can look for things at night with my tonneau cover pulled tight. And I don't accidentally leave them on during the daytime. just my .02 cents worth.

Short_stuff

On edit: if you're ever out in Baytown, give me a shout. I'll show you my very inexpensive setup.

Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Bed mat, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, undercoated, 170k somewhat trouble-free miles (so far), Edge Evolution (60 HP setting), Pioneer DVD/CD/iPod/XM satellite, backup camera, aluminum camper shell to replace the ROLLX that I had on the bed

Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2) and tension pullies, all 4 power lock actuators, water pump, air conditioning lines and compressor, battery cables, replaced the leather oem seat covers with very good leather replacements (found a great price from a place in Dallas that custom makes them)

2016 Subaru Outback (Wife's commuter car)

2016 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 29ft TT

1993 MonArk Sun/Spa 20 ft pontoon boat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in