need help from the experts 6.0 or 7.3? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
need help from the experts 6.0 or 7.3?

Ok guys I need some help on a truck purchase. I need to purchase an F550 stake body for my business and have found a few trucks that would suit me in my price range. I'm familiar with diesel trucks and have 5 of them in my fleet now, none of them powerstrokes. Closest thing I have is a 93 7.3 in a F450 truck which has always been a great truck, just has gotten old. Here's what I've found. First truck is an 2001 F550 with an automatic trans with 165 k miles. Truck is from the south and looks to be maintained well but has no service records as the guy purchased it to resell it. The second truck is a 2006 F550 with under 60 k and has a manual transmission. The guy purchased this truck for his business about 3 years ago and put less than 1000 miles on it in the 3 years he's owned it. Guess he thought he was going to need it but never really used it. The truck came from Texas and he has no prior service records. The truck does look like it's been maintained well also. Both these trucks are within a thousand dollars in price of each other. I'm kind of torn on what to do. The newer truck definitely does look nicer although I'd rather have an automatic. I'm not afraid to trow some money at the 6.0 to get the bugs out of it but not sure I want to dump 6 K into it for heads, studs and all the other problems they have. Does the truck have little enough miles to where it won't have the problems if I delete the egr and do an oil cooler on it now, it may not give me problems? Both trucks are stock and would remain stock if I purchase them. I generally keep my trucks for ten years or longer as this truck will probably be driven less thank 10k miles per year. What do you guys suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I would be especially concerned about the 6.0 if it came out of west Texas. Sand and dust are especially hard on these engines. Try to find out what area of Texas the truck came from, I.e. Carfax. I would lean toward the 7.3. Probably the best diesel ever produced for a light or medium truck. If you take care of it will last for several hundred thousand miles. I hope to get a million out of mine.

2004 F-350 Super Cab 2WD 6.0, Flat Bed, 168K miles. No Mods. "SOLD"

1999 F-250 4x4 Super Cab, 7.3, Automatic, DP Tuner 40HP tow, BTM muffler, 400K and counting. (BERTHA)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in