No crank issue on '99 diesel super duty - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Location: midwest, Tecumseh, MI, Standish Pond and River Raisin
My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No crank issue on '99 diesel super duty

I have checked everything i could imagine, batteries, starter, harness and cables. It was fine then all of a 'nothing'.
Changed out two solnoids , had starter off 4 times, took to NAPA and had it checked, okay. Any suggestions?
Cleaned all cables and grounds.

'99 7.3L SD F250 4X4 manual 6 speed - original.

"We got a lot of stupid politician's in this country" C.S.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Installed 2 new solnoids, one on starter and one on fender apron.
After working on truck four days today it cranked?? Then now won't crank.checked continuity on sense wire from solnoid to switch, okay. Can anyone suggest?

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-18-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

The truck is a 1999 and has a 6 speed manual transmission. I haecked the batteries earlier i just ve replaced the clutch switch a couple times and all seems okay with its function. When I traced the solnoid sense wire back to.the ingition switch it's continuity was good and in crank position the voltage was around 10v, that seems low shouldn't that be 12+ volts? I maybe next step is to.load test the batteries?? When i checked them earlier I just static checked (12.6v). It hasn't given any clues to dragging down.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Okay folks you have never had any issues electrical or I am on the wrong forum.
I desperately need feedback or input from you to resolve no crank issues on my 1999 7.3l diesel, manual trans vehicle. I am the original owner of this truck and try to keep it in pretty good condition with proper maintenance. It just began to 'not crank' and start. It just clicks. The usual items batteries good, new solnoids
installed just for the heck of it. Cables appear fine, etc. It started 'once' yesterday after I re-installed the right side battery. Then will not crank on second try. IT HAS A DEAD SHORT! I just don't
know what to do to find it.
Yesterday evening I topped off the batteries. I checked the batteries about an hour later and.the were down about a half of a volt. This morning BOTH batteries were stone dead. I am getting closer still nothing is smoking (wires) and I couldn't find a hot cable, etc.
Help or tell me if I am on the wrong forum.?? Thanks.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 01:33 PM

My Photos: (0)
Sorry no one has replied... usually you get better responses... I would have posted this in engine and drive train. Glow plugs drop volts when you first hit key but still not low enough to not let it start. Did you load test batteries? I believe you will find they are toast or at least one of them is. Test both. Or disconnect, charge both fully and check them the next day while not hooked to truck.

2000 F350 Lariat auto 4x4 cc Dually hutch/harpoon mod, zoodad mod, prepump filter/separator, billet fpr gold spring DIY Tymar intake
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Been recharging batteries and looking for dead short in harness and cables.
Hooked up 1 battery. Wasgoing to install other freshly charged battery. Decided to remove positive cable down to starter and check condition. Remember 1 battery was still connected. Hadn't touched any thing on starter end. Layed my hand on the starter and it was warm (hot) on housing. What does this mean? I disconected battery immediately.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-19-2017, 10:40 PM

Take batterya to auto store and have them "load" tested. I had batteries that held a charge but had dying cell, under load, ie cranking truck it would fail. 1 bad cell on 1 battery will cause the other battery to drain quicker. I ended up replacing my starter and both batteries. Can someone jump start you? Not sure on hot starter, if u hadn't been trying to start it? Otherwise could be fried internally. If both batteries chk "good" under load test, put in and crank over, lmk
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 01:32 AM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd73man44 View Post
Been recharging batteries and looking for dead short in harness and cables.
Hooked up 1 battery. Wasgoing to install other freshly charged battery. Decided to remove positive cable down to starter and check condition. Remember 1 battery was still connected. Hadn't touched any thing on starter end. Layed my hand on the starter and it was warm (hot) on housing. What does this mean? I disconected battery immediately.
If you hadn't been trying to crank it, a hot starter would tell me that there's a short in it. That would definitely discharge your batteries. I'd remove the starter and get it tested. I really think your problem is the starter.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
If you hadn't been trying to crank it, a hot starter would tell me that there's a short in it. That would definitely discharge your batteries. I'd remove the starter and get it tested. I really think your problem is the starter.
check fender mounted solenoid may not close enough to crank engine but not opening enough to stop current flow to starter
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 11:55 AM

My Photos: (180)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpman View Post
check fender mounted solenoid may not close enough to crank engine but not opening enough to stop current flow to starter
Don't think the starter relay would be the problem. It only feeds power to the coil of the starter mounted solenoid. But its cheap enough to swap out for a test.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

I had the starter checkef at NAPA on their starter bench. He said the starter was good.
I replaced solnoids (fender apron and starter solnoid) I cleaned all the cable connections. Found wire broken (B+) on alternator. .that shouldn't affect starting.
Batteries passed load test. I may get a starter and just try it tomorrow just for ??
Which side of the fender apron solnoid should b +12 volts, key off? I have the rubber block with the +12 close to the firewall.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 05:55 PM

just checked mine it is like yours 12v closes to fire wall Is your starter still getting hot when not trying to start truck key switch not on
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

No heat found yet. This picture is 12v fender apron solnoid from the Ford Service Book. The right stud is 12v from battery. If i install this way I don't get power to the cab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170820_184429_1503269464443.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	114505  

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

How about a blown fuse? Couldn't find any blown fuses. I did install the new alternator. I always carry a spare in the camper.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 10:53 PM

Not sure if it would work, but get someone in truck, push clutch in, only key on, not start, run jumper cable from battery straight to starter. Tap it to start and see if she turns over and how fast it spins. It isolates the starter. Worked on mine, by its an automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in