Overhead Computer Fix - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By 53fordguy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000F250-7.3 View Post
The link you give leads to nothing hoping you might have a new link you can share.
thanks mike

I would suggest soldering the chips rather than just pressing them back in place. Otherwise, just search of "overhead console repair" or something similar to that. It is a fairly common problem, so there are quite a few how-to fixes.
Biomettom likes this.

2000 F350 lariat, crew cab, long bed, 4x4, 3.73 limited slip

LASB turbo from Irate Diesel
Bellowed up-pipes
4" turbo back exhaust
Gauges (EGT, Trans Temp, Boost)
AFE Stage 2 XP Pro Guard 7
DP Tuner F6 (no start, stock, 80e, 60e, 60t)
AIH delete and CCV mod
F650 Dash with Carling switches
2002 Headlights with FX-R HID bi-xenon projector retrofit and 50W 5000K bulbs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2014, 08:31 AM

Thumbs up Display Fix

Good one thanks much !!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 11:27 PM

Awesome DIY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-03-2017, 04:29 PM

excellent video. top notch. Top Notch!

I'm the second owner of my truck and from Day One the damn overhead console display has never worked and I was too damn cheap to get it fixed cuz I reckoned some dealership or repair garage would ding me for several hundred bucks.

This video's step by step instructions and advice makes it easy enough for even a knucklehead like me to attempt the repair! THANK YOU!

Catch

2000 F-250 Lariat crew-cab. Bought used in early 2007 at 140k miles, now it's a little over 200k. Basic chip job via SuperTuner at Towing setting. Air Raid air filter. DieselSite thermostat and new housing. Dents repaired and Repainted white by MAACO. Aftermarket LED lights for pickup bed brake light and tail lights. Aftermarket headlights - CCFL halo lights. New fuel/water sep drain valve. New starter motor. New Glow Plug Relay. New alternator & serp belt. New tires all around (NEVER buy Uniroyal or Michelin - they're all junk and they don't honor their warranty). Repaired transmission housing & brake lines that WalMart dinged up during an oil & filter change. Truxedo roll-up tonneau cover. New upper & lower ball joints at 206k miles. New steering box. New tailgate. NEXT PROJECTS: DIY truckbed rust removal & heavy-duty coating, de-water fuel tank.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-04-2017, 09:19 PM

unfuxated

My overhead console is working! Only 15 mins at lunchtime out in the parking lot and bingo, Jed's a millionaire.

The only question I have is about the fuel mpg feature. It has a constant of 14.3 mpg. It doesn't vary no matter how hard or easygoing I drive it. Is the readout an average of the fuel burned vs the mileage driven or is it an ongoing readout based on that moment's driving?

Thanks again!

Catch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TopNotch.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	107641  

2000 F-250 Lariat crew-cab. Bought used in early 2007 at 140k miles, now it's a little over 200k. Basic chip job via SuperTuner at Towing setting. Air Raid air filter. DieselSite thermostat and new housing. Dents repaired and Repainted white by MAACO. Aftermarket LED lights for pickup bed brake light and tail lights. Aftermarket headlights - CCFL halo lights. New fuel/water sep drain valve. New starter motor. New Glow Plug Relay. New alternator & serp belt. New tires all around (NEVER buy Uniroyal or Michelin - they're all junk and they don't honor their warranty). Repaired transmission housing & brake lines that WalMart dinged up during an oil & filter change. Truxedo roll-up tonneau cover. New upper & lower ball joints at 206k miles. New steering box. New tailgate. NEXT PROJECTS: DIY truckbed rust removal & heavy-duty coating, de-water fuel tank.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-05-2017, 01:14 PM

Thumbs down

Dangit. The damn thing went dark on me again....

Reckon I'll have to fix it again and maybe use snot or something to make sure the dang chips stay seated.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2018, 03:48 PM
gdp

Soldering circuit boards usually doesn't turn out well for me. Instead of soldering the chips back in, I took some Elmers glue, smeared a little on the chip and stuck em in. That was over a year ago and still works.

2002 F-250 CC Lariat 7.3 diesel, 170,000 miles
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-08-2018, 11:23 PM

Just bought a newer 99 power stroke with display not working. Looks to be easy fix. Thanks
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:32 AM

I opened mine up and one of the "chips" was MISSING!!!

ended up going to a UPULLANDPAY junk yard (on half price day at that...) found an excursion that had overhead computer - of course it does not fit- why would it be that easy.

I did however pull/melt out the chip i needed and soldiered in place on my unit, put back together, crossed fingers and turn the key forward and WHAAAA-LAAA. . . It works cost me a grand total of 2.50 !!!

thanks to all for the info

1999.5 F250 CC 4X4 PSD Lariat White over Gold BONE STOCK w/ 205475 miles as of 1-1-19
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 10:55 AM

Lose parts are only gonna get lose again. Send it to this place and be done with it. They do lots of electronic repair. https://circuitboardmedics.com/ford-...isplay-repair/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in