trailer disconnect ?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
trailer disconnect ??

Good afternoon, Long story short. I went to Va. beach with a friend and picked up his new to him boat and trailer. The trailer had electric over hydraulic disc brakes on two axles. My truck would not recognize the controller on the trailer . I checked the controller by hooking up another truck to the trailer and the brakes worked fine . Had to go so not much time to monkey with it. Found fuse #9 under the hood blown so I replaced that one thinking we had it, but no luck.
During the tow home 280 miles (low and slow) several times "trailer disconnected" would come up in the message box. Any ideas on what to look for? I'm thinking wire in connector on the truck maybe as a start.........the dashboard controller seemed to be fine. Thanks for any tips

05 F-350 Crew Cab Lariat 4x4 6sp. man. 3.73 gears.
Blue spring upgrade
Rotella EC-1 ELC coolant
Custom -Diesel coolant filter
Amsoil full synthetic ATF in ZF-650
More to come.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:15 PM

Garage
I get this too, but I think my wires are culprit, the previous owner added a 7 pin receptacle inside the bed for a gooseneck and spliced into my wiring with those cheap plastic wire taps just above the spare tire. If nobody has added any of that to yours you may need to break out your tester.

I'm currently working on mine so I'll keep you posted if I find anything of interest.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

2005 F-250 Harley Davidson edition:
Bullet proofed, usual mods.

2017 F-350 DRW Lariat Ultimate:
Stock pending warranty.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 02:31 PM

My Photos: (9)
Question Trailer plug

I found the wiring harness had back out of the seven prong plug on the trailer hitch. Snapped it back in but it does not appear to be a strong connection. Maybe that is what is sending your error message. Just a thought.

2005 - F-350, PSD, LWB, FX4, KR, Oxford White/Arizona Beige -- Bausch & Loam Sunglasses
My Photos -
SOLD - 2001, F-350, PSD Lariet, Oxford White, CC, LWB, DRW; [color = red]Maghytec Transmission Pan and Differiential Cover[/color]; Autometer Bezel; [color = blue] SPA Boost/EGT, Transmission and Differiential gauges[/color]; Ford Bug Shield; WeatherTech Rain Guard; Pioneer 6 disc changer; Ford Rubber mats; Cobra 29WXNWST CB Radio; Cobra CA 77 Power microphone; Husky Molded Flaps and floor mats. [color = green]Banks Power Pack[/color]. J&J Stainless Steel Running Boards. J&J Victory tail gate. Bilstein shocks. [color = red] 2003 heated TT Mirrors - with rear window defogger switch. [color = red ] C-Betr Mirrors. NMC2. .[color:"red"]SoCAPS Member[/color] [color = green] SoCaps Founding Member [/color]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks , I'm heading down to the shop I a few minutes to start checking it out. That 5'er hookup may indeed be a culprit..... I'll keep ya'll posted on what I find.

Blue spring upgrade
Rotella EC-1 ELC coolant
More to come.....
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 06:53 PM

Send a message via AIM to ritschner
Dirty tabs in the receptacle and trailer plug will also give you a disconnect. Have to wiggle mine sometimes to get it to reset. As far as the brake issue, the factory controller will generally not work with electric over hydraulic brakes. There is an electronic adapter that is needed.

White 06 F350 Lariet CC 2WD DRW Tow Boss, Timbren SES, Bilsteins, Smiths Ultimate Bedliner, RK Tool Box, CondensorGuard, IntakeMod, S&B Intake, SEIC, Banks 4"TB, Accufab elbow, Edge Attitude CS, Blue Spring Mod, DCPower 185a alternator, Rebuilt FICM, STC and Standpipe update, Harpoon Mod, Coolant Filter, Glove Box Light, Hood Insulator, Rewired Mirror Heat, Seat Heater Indicator.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-17-2013, 10:18 PM Thread Starter

Found relay # 301 bad and #101 bad . I'll get some more tomorrow and see where I'm at. No 5'er hookup in the bed. although I do have a ball in the bed. The trailer plug is a clean run to the bumper.

Blue spring upgrade
Rotella EC-1 ELC coolant
More to come.....
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 05:32 PM

I pulled a camper home for a widow friend of a friend. After starting down the road I noticed the brake meter was not showing a trailer hooked up. Pulled in to a gas station to top off the tires, found some WD-40 in the camper and sprayed the inside of the connector from the camper. Reinserted the plug and good to go. Good Luck

2005 SBCC
6.0 liter
3.5" straight pipe
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 05:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana lineman View Post
found some WD-40 in the camper and sprayed the inside of the connector from the camper. Reinserted the plug and good to go. Good Luck
WD-40 was my first choice, after that didn't work I used a piece of sandpaper wrapped over key and brake cleaner on both truck and trailer side. After I was convinced I had everything clean but to no avail I dug deeper and found this

Attachment 33377

But since that isn't the case with RAINMAKER282 I think it's a good assumption that either the relays mentioned are bad or the brake controller itself and/or in some instances the wiring on the trailer could be at fault.

I hope it's not the controller in this case.
I think my issue might be with the controller since I get lights, blinkers and everything but brakes, I plan to test for this in the morning, I hope my 6 year old trailer just needs new brakes.

2005 F-250 Harley Davidson edition:
Bullet proofed, usual mods.

2017 F-350 DRW Lariat Ultimate:
Stock pending warranty.

Last edited by 05_HARLEY_F250; 06-17-2014 at 05:27 PM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-18-2013, 06:22 PM

Looks like they tried to do a nice splice job. At least it's not taped together. lol

2005 SBCC
6.0 liter
3.5" straight pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in