TRUCK WILL NOT STEER LEFT PLEASE HELP!!!! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
TRUCK WILL NOT STEER LEFT PLEASE HELP!!!!

I Have a 2006 F-350 6.0
I had a bad tie rod on my drag link which was causing a lot of slop in the steering. So I purchased a whole new drag link assembly and went ahead and purchased new tie rod ends for both driver and passenger sides. (I double checked that they are the correct parts for my vehicle) I Started by facing my wheels dead straight with steering at center. i didnt lift the front end and left the tires on the ground so I could try to keep as much of an alignment as possible. Then I marked the position of the pitman arm where it attaches to the steering gear box.(new red head gear box). Then i measured from joint center to joint center on the drag link assembly to make sure that I was installing the new one at the correct length. I also measured the tie rod ends from joint center to joint center as well. I removed the old parts and installed the new ones. (Even replaced the drag link stabilizer since it was pretty much shot) NOW I HAVE A HUGE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After linking everything up I got behind the wheel. I have full steering rotation to the RIGHT but very limited rotation to the LEFT. (LIKE ALMOST NONE) From steering wheel center position, I get 2 full rotations steering right, but from center I only get 3/4 rotation steering LEFT. I then decided to check my gear box for binding. So I removed the linkage and then the pitman arm, and with the steering wheel at center I get 2 full rotations both LEFT AND RIGHT with no issues. So I re-installed the pitman and linkage (Making sure the steering wheel was at center) to check again and still the same result. WHAT DID I DO WRONG??????????????/ I then tried to disconnect the linkage and pitman arm and re set the position of the pitman arm to see if I could some how off set the issue, That also failed. I even lifted the tires and disconnected the tie rod ends to see if somehow the ball joints at the axle hub assembly seized up for some reason but everything rotates side to side fine. WHAT HAPPENED AND HOW DO I FIX IT???? Did I somehow screw up the TOE IN TOE OUT????? if so how do I check that to make sure it is correct? (side note, I am parked in a public/private parking garage and because i have a small lift on my truck and oversized tires I can not get towed out because there is not enough head clearance. So I am STUCK!!!!!!!) I have tried to call a Ford service center and several shops but no one is willing to help me out or even give me an idea of what went wrong or where to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:00 PM

I wouldn't be shocked to hear that the redhead is junk....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

I don't think its the red head, its not even 5 months old. Plus aside from the play in the steering before I started putting new parts on, the steering used to be horrible. after putting the red head on it was much better, besides the truck was turning fine before I started this project it just had play from the bad joints in the drag link assembly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 05:32 PM
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

When you have the pitman arm off, run the steering wheel all the way to the left. Count the rotations as you turn it all the way to the right, then turn back to the left 1/2 that number. Then go back under and see how close your pitman arm is to lining up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2018, 07:40 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Maybe the steering damper shock is broken or bent?

2000 F250 XLT 4x4 SC 7.3 w/Auto Tranny w/ TC L/U Sw & shift kit, 3 autometer gages, Super Zoodad, PHP Hydra chip, 4" DP/Exhaust w/dual 3.5" outlets, 275/70/18 Kumho AT51s on 8.5" rims, 08 AlumDiffCvr, Bilsteins, 31 row trans cooler, WW, BPV delete, AIH delete, hutch, harpoon and billet FPR (70psi), trans cooler bypass delete by accident, rear air bags, Jimmijammers.
Jayco 26BHS elite, no RV parks...just the woods if possible.
See my album for a recent pic.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the input, I have checked, double/triple/quadruple checked the pitman arm and its placement on the gear box. Today I ended up disassembling everything and started from scratch. I readjusted the tie rod ends making sure they were equally threaded down to the 32nd of an inch. I did the same with the drag link assembly. Then I recentered the gear box and attached the pitman arm. then I used a paint pen and made markings on the gear box where it links up to the pitman arm so I would be able to tell if there was any sort of shift from center while attaching the linkage. I also marked centers on the axle, tie rod link, drag link, and drag link stabilizer to make sure i stayed true. THIS DID HELP A LOT! I was able to make several small adjustments and was so close but, I am still about half a rotation short turning left. I even sat there and readjusted the toe in and toe out several times. At this point the only thing I can think of is maybe the track bar for some unknown reason. So I have a new ADJUSTABLE track bar coming on Tuesday and I pray that it corrects the problem otherwise I give up. ( SIDE NOTE: TO 69mach1377 the steering stabilizer "Damper" is brand new. its the new N3 from Rough Country, I also installed the new Rough Country N3 Dual steering stabilizers that link up from the axle to the tie rod ends. The 3 stabilizers all together did take all the play/slop out of the steering which was awesome but still about half a rotation short of making a full left turn)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 09:36 AM

Why would you think it's the track bar? Does nothing for steering.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:22 AM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
I have seen steering dampeners put on incorrectly limiting the movement of the drag link in one direction or the other.

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in