Are trucks built at one plant better???? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Are trucks built at one plant better????

I'm looking at buying a left over 06 F250, probably a gaser, not sure I can swing the PSD payment. But I was wondering, have you guys found that trucks built at a certain plant, are better then others? I think I've noticed stickers showing the Kentucky or Dearborn truck plants.

Just curious what insight you guys may have.

Thanks

Henry
2007 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercab 5.4 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 08:13 AM

Re: Are trucks built at one plant better????

(KTP) Kentucky Truck plant and Mexico Truck Plant. You will need to speek Spanish in the Mexican truck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am glad mine is made in USA

Louie

02 SuperDuty CC Lariat 4x4, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed w/LUK clutch & South Bend Kevlar PB, DP Tuner, 1.15 A/R Van Turbo W/ATS housing, Non-EBV Turbo Pedestal, CCV mod, 4" custom mid side exit straight pipe, Tymar intake, IH T 444E BADGES, 06 Grill, WARN bumpers, AIC, 06 TT mirrors, 37" BFG BAJA on HMMWV double bead lock wheels, Bushwacker cut out flares, Superlift 4" LIFT, Triple A-pillar Gauges, A.R.E. DCU Cap with barn doors and 4'x5'x6" Con Ferr Roof Rack, Rhino Lined, CB, Wet Okole's neoprene seat covers, 2 12" subs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 08:15 AM

My Photos: (3)

[ QUOTE ]
(KTP) Kentucky Truck plant and Mexico Truck Plant. You will need to speek Spanish in the Mexican truck [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

I am glad mine is made in USA

Louie

[/ QUOTE ]

Not quite true.... your USA truck will have mucho parts from Mexico...

Paul B

2001 Excursion Limited PSD,2wd,Auto.,BTS-10/2014, Toreador Red,10/2000,4.5 Racor,unTAGed,
,6.0 cooler,Cat ELC,Underdash Lunar Gauges,Hadley Air Horn,
,Fumoto
2006 31' Flagstaff TT 8.0K,Prodigy
2015 Subaru Forrester

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (45)

[ QUOTE ]
I think I've noticed stickers showing the Kentucky or Dearborn truck plants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, Dearborn is F-150s.

SuperDuty trucks are assembled at only two plants, Kentucky Truck Plant (KTP) near Louisville KY, and the other one is near Mexico City.

The only difference is the first digit of the VIN: 1 = KTP, 3 = Mexico. And the plant code in the middle of the VIN will be different, but the country code in position 1 of the VIN is all you really need for a SuperDuty truck.

My dealer has sold bunches from both plants, and he says there is no difference. If anything, the trucks assembled at KTP are more likely to have nitnoid little problems than those assembled in Mexico. Both trucks will have a lot of parts made in Mexico.

My Sierra Blanca (Spanish for White Mountain) in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it several years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream. Replaced the 2012 with a 2019 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost with max tow.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 03:13 PM

My Photos: (14)

Ive always been told it was more important not to buy one that was built on a Monday or Friday. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

2002 F250 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab PSD Shadow Grey/Black
BD X-Monitor, BD Pressure-Loc, SCMT(80),AFE Magnum, 2.5"leveling and 4" block, Bilsteins, Retrax, LineX, Oilguard, MBRP 4" SS, Moto Metal 950 18x9, Toyo A/T 325/60/18, 05 front end w/Harleys, KC 05 light kit w/3 driving lights.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ive always been told it was more important not to buy one that was built on a Monday or Friday. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or one from KTP on the 5th of July or one from Mex on the 6th of May [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

2002, F350, Lariat, CC, LB, PSD, QLJ5, A/T, ESOF(with hub disable switch), LS, Off Road pkg, AIC, Jordan 2020, X-monitor, IAH removed, Fuel pressure shimmed, DP-Tuner 80 econo, acetoned badges, 315 BFG's on Alcoa's, 4"DPPI exhaust, Sonnax/Tricumulator, DIY BIG air filter with ZooDad, Bilsteins, EBV removed, WW, Proflex SS sleeves over the orange manifold hoses, MAP connected to adjustable pressure regulator, EBPS connected to intake manifold, Red line disconnected, Modified factory wastegate, 200 amp large case alternator, AutoEnginuity, Chris Thompson, SoCal Biodiesel Users Group member, Soon to have a bunch of goodies from Riffraff Diesel.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or one from KTP on the 5th of July or one from Mex on the 6th of May [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha Ha. Thats funny [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

06 Cummins, White, CCSB

Smarty POD
MP8
Flux 3s
II SB66
Hamilton 110 Springs
Hamilton Big Stick
AirDogII
All shifted by a full billet HTS
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 05:38 PM

Think Smokey is right on target. Mine was made in Mexico and it is the only vehicle I have ever owned in 48 years of driving that does not have a rattle yet.

I am sure many of the U. S. made trucks are the same, however. Overall, the superduty is a very well engineered and designed vehicle!

Mike

2002 2WD XLT CrewCab, 3.73 Limited Slip. KC reverse backup lights with on/off dash switch , Mobil 1 Transmission Fluid, Undercover Bed Lid, Monroe Reflex Shocks. Gentex K-21 auto dimming/temp/compass mirror. Michelin LTX/MS tires. Door Seal Mod. ZooDad. Ford SD AIS. Assembled 08-09-01, Cuautitlan Mexico
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-16-2006, 11:11 PM

Just another topic to debate. Shouldn't matter in the least bit and don't let anyone tell you to belive what you want to about where they are put together. Mine is "hecho en Mexico."

'00 F250 XLT 4x4 (born on 6/00), manual tranny & hubs, SPA Techniques EGT/Boost Gauge, Homemade Return Fuel Regulator, Toro Liner, 203* T-stat and Coolant Filter, LUK Clutch, flywheel & pressure plate, Amsoil Dual Bypass Filter
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Didn't post the question to create a debate. I work in manufacturing and have seen over the years that some plants tend to produce better quality then others. I was just wondering if there might be any noticeble differences among these trucks.

Thanks for the feedback

Henry
2007 Ford F-150 Lariat Supercab 5.4 4x4
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 07:06 AM

Just for some added info. The 150s are produced in three plants. Dearborn,MI,Kansas City,MO,Norfolk, VA.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Think Smokey is right on target. Mine was made in Mexico and it is the only vehicle I have ever owned in 48 years of driving that does not have a rattle yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because they use adobe filler and adobe doesn't rattle.

2002 F350 4x4 CC DRW Lariat 7.3 auto 4.10 LS diff.(bought 5-05 @ 76,000 miles) Pyro, Boost, and Trans gauges. AIH delete. Tru-Cool Max trans cooler. Magnafine filter. Royal Purple MAX synthetic ATF. 55 gallon aux bed tank. 2LO Mod.

2002 Holiday Rambler 30-SKS Alumascape fifth wheel
24 foot gooseneck livestock trailer

1940 McCormick Deering restored Farmall H, used weekly (the grand-daddy of International)
Used goats for rent
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 01:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is because they use adobe filler and adobe doesn't rattle.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

06 Cummins, White, CCSB

Smarty POD
MP8
Flux 3s
II SB66
Hamilton 110 Springs
Hamilton Big Stick
AirDogII
All shifted by a full billet HTS
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 02:02 PM

My Photos: (7)

1FTSW31P67EB***** so what can you tell me about my truck?

It has not been built yet for one.......
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 02:52 PM

Colin:

Adobe has been on the Alamo for 170 years and it seems to be doing a good job. Hope my PSD holds together a fraction that long!

Should be a good game this year.

Hook'em Horns!

Mike

2002 2WD XLT CrewCab, 3.73 Limited Slip. KC reverse backup lights with on/off dash switch , Mobil 1 Transmission Fluid, Undercover Bed Lid, Monroe Reflex Shocks. Gentex K-21 auto dimming/temp/compass mirror. Michelin LTX/MS tires. Door Seal Mod. ZooDad. Ford SD AIS. Assembled 08-09-01, Cuautitlan Mexico
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in