Water leaking into cab - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 10:01 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water leaking into cab

anyone have water leaking in the cab from rain while sitting? Mine leaks mainly while sitting in the driveway. I only notice water under the drivers side floormat and along the bottom trim piece going to the rear drivers side door. I really only notice dampness and mildew. I hoping there is a common leak point. It does not appear to be coming from the upper part of the door.
I'm thinking it's coming from under the engine cowl.
Any idea on where I should start looking?

2007 f-250 Crew Cab fx4x4 Auto 6.0 liter engine
110,000 miles, performance machine coolant filter, 2008 trans. pan and filter, coolant flushed and rotella ELC. Blue spring mod. Edge Insight CTS with expandable pyro. FICM repair and ATLAS 40 tune by ficmerpair.com Amsoil by-pass oil filter. ARP Studs, ford HG's, EGR delete, new ford oil cooler. Hauling 27 foot RV.

(Sorry to see her go Sold 9/2012) 1992 F-250 Supercab longbed 4x4, NA, manual trans. 382,000 miles. new alternator, starter, batteries, beru glow plugs and new controller, new injectors and fuel lines, LUK solid mass flywheel(12"), Warn manual hubs, Completely new AC system(new comprssor, evaporator, dryer, condensor, all hoses r-134), new front rear wheel bearings, new 3" exhaust, new power steering pump, new IP, new vacuum pump x2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 10:45 AM

I haven't had that problem with my F250, but my prior truck was an F150 and that problem turned out to be the polymer glue around the windshield had debonded from the glass allowing water in behind the dash. In that truck it was dripping on the computer and causing glitches. The glass shop removed the trim around the windshield, sprayed a heavy coat of foaming glass cleaner around the outside of the windshield and then went around the inside of the windshield with an airgun. When they got to the leaky spot it blew the foaming glass cleaner all over the hood. The solution was to remove the windshield and rebond it. Unfortunately mine didn't survive the removal process, but the installation of the new one solved the leak.

Again, I don't know if this is a problem for the F250, but it was fairly common on the F150 and might be worth checking out.

2006 F250 Lariat Supercrew, ESOF 4x4, 18" tires, FX 4, HD Alt., block heater, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, Upfitters, power rear window, cab lights - delivered 10/25/05

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors, replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty twice, the latest 9/18/2015; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13. Coolant flushed and replaced with Prestone ELC 9/27/14. STC fitting 10/19/14; Dummy Plugs 11/8/14; Turbo rebuilt 11/29/14; cold side CAC tube and boots replaced with metal tube 1/24/15; replaced hot side boots 1/30/16.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 11:20 AM

We had the same problem with a lot of our 03;04 250 and aall of our 150's and I think even a couple of 350.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Dannyboy do you mean you had the water leaking by the windshield as well? or just leaking in general? I would not mind taking it to the glass shop and have them pull the windshield if this is a very likely cause. I might have to go out side on a rainy day and start looking for water.

110,000 miles, performance machine coolant filter, 2008 trans. pan and filter, coolant flushed and rotella ELC. Blue spring mod. Edge Insight CTS with expandable pyro. FICM repair and ATLAS 40 tune by ficmerpair.com Amsoil by-pass oil filter. ARP Studs, ford HG's, EGR delete, new ford oil cooler. Hauling 27 foot RV.

(Sorry to see her go Sold 9/2012) 1992 F-250 Supercab longbed 4x4, NA, manual trans. 382,000 miles. new alternator, starter, batteries, beru glow plugs and new controller, new injectors and fuel lines, LUK solid mass flywheel(12"), Warn manual hubs, Completely new AC system(new comprssor, evaporator, dryer, condensor, all hoses r-134), new front rear wheel bearings, new 3" exhaust, new power steering pump, new IP, new vacuum pump x2
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 10:23 AM

water leaks

i had a similar problem. water would leak inside and soak the underside of the passenger rug. it would flow in different directions. i was concerned about it causing electrical problems . i spent a full day looking for the leak. i found that the heater/ac blower housing was filled with water. you need to remove the blower fan from inside the engine compartment passenger side. once removed stick your hand inside.the bottom area should be dry if not the water is leaking from a fresh air duct right above the fan.you can stick your hand up into the cover. this slotted cover is placed over the hole for fresh air intake held in place with some type of sealant which dries out over time causing any rainwater to travel thru the cracks into housing and other places. if you determine that this is the problem you have to remove your wiper blade assembly then stick your arm from the drivers side to passenger side under the cowl, clean area around duct and apply a sealant where they seal. check it out.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 02:09 PM

My Photos: (7)
Fix this NOW before you have a computer problem. There have been posts on here of major nightmares and VERY costly repairs where water leaking in the same place yours is causing main computer problems. If you can't find it or don't want to do it, this is something that I would definitely say is worth paying the price of someone repairing it right to avoid this potential major breakdown. Good luck.

2001 F-250 4X4 CC SB 7.3 4R100 3.73, BFGoodrich All-Terrain TA/KO, Motorcraft filters, Mile Marker manual hub locks w/ESOF (No hub "floating"), AIH delete, Rust-Oleum bed coating, Silverstar Ultra headlamps w/ clear headlight assemblies, 5,000K LED interior lamps; Moog greaseable u-joints, ball-joints, front hub assemblies; retractable bed hitch, original black CPS (BEST "mod" I have), Energy Suspension bushings, Red Heavy Duty ELC, Edge Evolution 15001 (for gauges), Walker BTM, Donaldson AIS
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 06:52 PM

As mentioned, save your GEM and other electrical items before the water does some real damage. Resealing the windshield, digging into the GEM / fusebox and sealing as best as you can, can help proect your truck from water damage. I had water leakage over my GEM, so I resealed the windshield, used electrical duct seal around te GEM / fusebox connectors and wiring harnesses. It is not pretty to look at, BUT, I manage to make the electrical connectors, wiring more water resistant. I know it is a pain to work under the dash, not a lot of room, but a couple of hours work, and no more leaks nor electrical issues (IE: dome light coming on by itself, horn honking at 3 A.M, and a wet carpet).

Butch Cassidy1

2000 F250, 2WD, XLT - A HAULING AND TOWING WORKHORSE.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2013, 08:58 PM

IF you have holes drilled in your cab roof for lights on the cab, even the stock ones, check them too. Have seen lots of them leak and flow down the "A" pillars. Knew one guy who resealed this windshield three times, only to find out it was his wanna-be-trucker lights.

Dad always said,"Knowledge is limited but stupidity knows no bounds."
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Yikes! I did not realize this was such a big problem. I don't have cab lights and there does not seem to be any water on pass. side, so I think I will look closely at the windshield. Also, my truck sits in the driveway with the front end higher thaN the rear so this might make any leaks worse, with more water coming off the hood toward the windshield. Thanks

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2017, 11:58 AM

Wink 1997 F-250 cab leaking water

Just my reply to all of the posts on the water problems. I had water coming in on the drivers side firewall soaking half the truck carpet. I eventually found the source. It was the cab to cowl seam up in the corner behind the computer. Seems the rain channels right down to that point and had the corner open up I guess. It could have been done during repairs? it was big enough to let quite a bit of water in. Also had to re-caulk the entire cowl inside across the top, the old stuff came off with a shop vac! Best thing to do is re-caulk every seal if you can.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 08:15 PM

I just noticed this happening on my 2008. The water was first on my floor mat on the drivers side. Now I noticed that the headliner is wet by the trim handle. The water has traveled all the way to the back of the cab and the carpet is wet there also along the edge. I guess the water has run along the trim ridge. I was going to take it to the dealer and see what the issue is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in