Weird door ajar light problem - Page 10 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 166 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 08:15 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just sprayed the ones in my new (to me) truck! Worked like a charm. Bingo!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Deutz, Perkins, Volvo Penta, Ford Industrial, KDI, Yanmar & Generac Industrial
Train the Trainer & Field Service Technician

Ford Trucks Ive Owned over the years:
Brown 1989 F250 7.3L Diesel Rest In Pieces
White 1994 F-450 Regular Cab 7.3L Powerstroke SOLD
White 1999 F350 Super Cab 7.3L Powerstroke SOLD
White 1999 F350 Super Cab 6.8L Triton V10 Rest In Pieces
White 2000 F250 XLT Super Cab 7.3L Powerstroke SOLD
Red 2003 F250 XLT Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke 4X4 Off Road CURRENTLY OWN FOR SALE
White 2003 F350 Lariat Dually Crew Cab 6.0L Powerstroke 4x4 CURRENTLY OWN
Black 2003 Excursion XLT 6.0L Powerstroke 4x4 SOLD
White 2007 F550 XL Regular Cab 6.0L Powerstroke SOLD
White 2016 F450 XL Regular Cab 6.7L Powerstroke 4x4 CURRENTLY OWN

Last edited by thecheesemannn; 05-02-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-20-2013, 10:49 PM

Got an 03 F550 originally had a 6.0. Did the WD40, no luck. Did the cluster trick (very nice by the way) and found the driver door to be the culprit. Pulled the panel to find one of the wires ripped from the plug. I soldier it back on and all is well now. By the way my truck didn't come with power anything, I put it in. Thanks for this thread guys it helped a lot. Been having this truck for about 7 years now and never know about the dash trick.

2003 Ford F-550 2005 CTD NV5600 SBDD ARP Head and Rocker Studs, Hamilton Springs and Pushrods, 357/S475, Homemade Spoolaid, Airdog, CTS, Amsoil 1 micron Bypass Filter, Gearvenders Overdrive, 4.88, Smarty, Alpine Audio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #138 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-10-2013, 09:08 AM

My problem happened to be one of the wires broke off right by the connector. Thanks again guys

2003 Ford F-550 2005 CTD NV5600 SBDD ARP Head and Rocker Studs, Hamilton Springs and Pushrods, 357/S475, Homemade Spoolaid, Airdog, CTS, Amsoil 1 micron Bypass Filter, Gearvenders Overdrive, 4.88, Smarty, Alpine Audio.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #139 of 166 (permalink) Old 06-29-2014, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepnjay View Post
Just remove the relay in the fuse box... When I bought my 99 crew I noticed the dome light did not work so I replaced the bulbs, still nothing, checked fuse, nothing found relay missing, replaced relay, the light stayed on and did not turn off, tried wd40 no luck. The passenger door does not fully latch so I think that is the problem. So for now the relay is still out.

Okay so I have a 2003 F250 5.4l regular cab. It was hit hard passenger door so until I replace that is is sealed up with expanding foam and painted white. I cannot access behind the door panel. I believe that switch is my door ajar light problem. There is a harness in the right side at the pillar of the passenger foot well which does control the door ajar bc it disabled whe I unplugged it but my airbags did as well :/ Currently I have the light bulbs out. I tried pulling the Vehicle Security Module but that not seem to control the door ajar symbol on the dash. It should be noted, no alarm, manual locks windows. Any suggestions on where the passenger switch for the regular cab of my vehicle comes in that i may unplug it and ground the feed (if I am understanding the mechanism correctly reading this forum) to show the door is always closed?
post #140 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 01:18 PM

Ive read everyones post and dont see anyone with the problem i have.I have a 2000 f350 crew cab lariat.My driver door and rear driver door work as they should.Now when i open my passenger door and rear passenger door i get no door ajar light or dome light.Any ideas? Also curious on a headlight switch.All my lights on the truck everywhere work but the headlight switch doesnt light up when the lights are on.Any suggestions?
post #141 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 07:09 PM

I have an 03 f250 7.3 extended cab and I'm having some of these issues. I get NO door ajar light, no dome light but my locks and windows work. I've checked all fuses and relays and all seem good. I replaced my VSM which fixed nothing and the dealer told me it did not have to be programmed. Any suggestions?
post #142 of 166 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 08:26 AM

2002 Excursion with door ajar light always on -FIX

Just purchased this vehicle last week. 140,000 miles. Door Ajar light was on. Headed to the internet and found this forum! Wanted to say thanks for all the info and walk the next guy through what I did for repair.

Excursion has 2 sensors in the back glass. Both of mine were bad due to the dust/grime on the rear of the vehicle.

1. When the truck is off and the doors are all shut the dome light stays on about 20 minutes, when this finally goes off open one door. If the light comes on -then this is NOT your door. One door at a time take about 90 minutes, giving the 'reset' time for the dome light override. When you finally figure out which door does not turn on the dome light, that's your culprit. As I said mine was the back glass.

2. Using the "Odometer Trick", confirm this. Just search for this in the forum. Again confirm that the door that you are opening does not change the code on the odometer.

3. The back glass has a latch on the left and right with a 'door ajar switch' on each of these. The trim comes off easily after removing the 2 screws in the handle. Taking the latch out is quite easy. Just the 3 #T-27 screws on each. This gives you the best access to removing the switch, which is done by a 1/4 turn. (apparently these are right and left sensitive - don't confuse them).

4. Replace or clean the switches. They are also $35.00 bucks or so at Advance Auto, so lets try to clean them. I was able to get mine working freely with PB blaster and using pliers to pull the button up and twisting it some then just working it a good bit.

5. Reinstall these back in the wiring. This should turn off the light. When the button is 'up' - the door is closed.

5. Reverse the removal process and enjoy your ride!
post #143 of 166 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 04:48 PM

My Photos: (3)
Dude i have been suffering with this for ever. My only saving grace with the lights staying on forever is was i installed an overide switch years before. Did that so when we are camping and i leave the door open the lights are on all the time. Cant wait to figure this all out.

AJ

1999.5 F-350 CC-SB 4x4 - 7.3 liter

2003 Excursion 4x4 - 7.3 liter -
post #144 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 04:32 PM

Hey Im new here. Just nabbed a low mileage 2000 F250 BadBoy but I got this same prob. Used the ole WD last night and it worked once for an hour, and then the lights are on again. 2 hours later, half a can of WD down and a whole lot of door swingin and door thumpin, prolly lookin like some crazy OCD neighbors and the dang lights are still on. I just pulled the bulbs for now...SIDENOTE::: I bought this truck 2 days ago and it had been throughly mudded prior to that so theres some grit to get rid of
post #145 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 06:18 PM

War Machine,
This should fix your issue, just follow the steps above. Let the group know if it don't fix it. The grime/grit is the issue. The previous owner of mine apparently lived on a clay road. Has caused all my havoc.
post #146 of 166 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:39 PM

Thanks all for the info. Atill didnt work. Looks like im gnna have to pull the door panel and clean it by hand.
post #147 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-03-2015, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWKSNKE View Post
My 2003 F250 CC has had this problem for a couple of years.
First, I tried the WD40 trick a few years ago. Worked for awhile then the truck thought the doors were open again. Replaced the switches in both front doors (rears were fine) and came up with a new problem. The passenger door switch works opposite. When the door is open the door ajar light and the interior lights go off. Shut the door and the interior lights and door ajar light comes back on. I have tried several switches but all do the same thing.
Is there something else I need to look at replacing?

So, 5 years later and some time off from work, I decided to mess with this again and.....

ITS FIXED! It appears that the last time I fooled with this, I had a string of bad luck. Back in 2010 when messing with switch, I had tried 3 different new ones from different manufacturers and knowing what I know now, all of them had been manufactured incorrectly. The switch I pulled out of my RH front door was manufactured 'normally open' It is supposed to be 'normally closed' Picked up a new one from Oreilly's last night, checked it with my multimeter before purchase, and it worked correctly (opposite of the one I pulled out of my truck)

Now my interior bulbs can go back in. LOL

2003 F250 7.3 FX4 Auto. SuperCrew
Mods: Edge Evolution, Afe Stage 1 CAI

09 Porsche C2S
08 ///AMG C63 R.I.P.
93 Cobra just another 500rwhp street car (sold)
01 Cobra vert
08 Mustang GT
84 Mustang SVO
post #148 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:02 AM

Ok so not trying to beat a dead horse here, but nothing is working on my 2002 crew cab.

WD-40 didn't work no matter how many applications and door slamming.

Hooked to both auto enginuity and ford tech diagnostic scan tools and they both say both front doors are always open.

I pulled the drivers side switch and it works properly, unplugged the harness which should create an open circuit... Aka door closed situation (I think) and door ajar light and dinger still on. Then I used a jumper wire on the harness just to double check.. Same thing

Purchased a new updated VSM and took to Ford to get programmed but they couldn't get it to communicate with the computer. He told me my viper car alarm might be interfering, and since I hate that thing anyways I took it all out last night.

I'm lost on what I can do to fix this thing, all I want is this door ajar light off and interior lights!

I'm taking it to a different ford dealership tomorrow to try to get the VSM programmed but at this point I'm not real hopeful. What else can I try on this thing?

Last edited by Wrench_95; 01-05-2016 at 11:38 AM.
post #149 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 05:47 PM

So another failed attempt at the dealership to get the VSM programmed, I'm tired of throwing time and money at this POS. pulled the cluster out and put some electrical tape on the back of the faceplate over the door ajar light and about to remove the door dinger. To hell with interior lights I'll just use a flashlight until I sell this thing.
post #150 of 166 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 07:40 PM

Garage
Try pulling the fuse 19 and 102, whait a couple hours and put them back.

Worked for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

F350 2002 7.3

auto, 37/13.5/20 open country, Bushwaker cut-out flare, Bilstein 5100, Maxtow gauges (EGT, Trans temp, Boost), 4 inch diamond eye turbo back axel drop with BTM muffler, S&B intake, RR AIH plug, billet FPR with gold spring, CNCfab Sgt 1 HPOP, CNCfab HPOP line with cross over, CNCfab 4 line fuel kit, ARP heads stud, RDP plenum reinforcing insert, complete CAC intercooler boot kit, full engine seal and gasket kit, 360* turbo rebuilt, WWII, EGPV delete, dark blue CPS, Hydra chip with SDK tunes, Polished compressor manifold, HD coolant, 203* thermostat, Transgo HD kit, Energy suspension bushing kit, front and rear diff fully rebuilt with 4:88 gear ratio, Z36 powerstop heavy hauling brake kit, headlight relay mod, Fumoto drain valve AND STICKER

F350 2008 6.4 (sold)

TT 26' Springdale 2014
7x17 enclose trailer (shop) 2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in