Weird door ajar light problem - Page 9 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:33 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have had this problem off and on for about 6 years now on a 99 Superduty. Door ajar, a beeping, lights on etc. Sometimes it would shut off after parking and sometimes it would stay on. I read the fix and have tried WD-40 and some electrical cleaner. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. The door ajar seems to come on after a rain. I finally removed the fuse for the lights but the door ajar still comes on at times. I also seem to have a draw on my battery.
I'll try it again but maybe I have one that needs to be replaced. Is it just the front doors or all the doors?

One Lucky Guy!
1999 Ford F350XLT, White, CC, SB, SRW, 2WD, V-10, Auto, 4.30 LS Rear End, Borla headers, downpipe & exhaust, K&N Filter, 265-75-R16'S, Towing&Camper Package, Stabilizer Bars, BF Goodrich Velvet-Ride Shackles, Power Programer, Gear Vendors Under/Overdrive, Line-X Bed, Amsoil Synthetic Oil in everything, By-Pass Oil Filter System.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 166 (permalink) Old 11-01-2011, 02:14 PM

How do you disconnect the door dinger.My light is on my drivers side door doesn't shut tight and the light is on all the time if i turn the key to acc the dinger stays on.How do i disable thay darn thing.I need to ajust the door some how also?

99.54X4 Lariat F250SD Ex Cab.Fisher snow plow.No mods yet,100,000 miles 2002F350SDXLT 4X4 fisher plow 146000 miles no mods

Last edited by bill dixon; 11-01-2011 at 02:54 PM.
post #123 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-18-2011, 10:13 PM

i have a 2002 crew cab ,the door adjar icon on dash stays on, no dome light at anytime even when you use the dimmer switch.My cruise control quit working and auto headlights.Door locks work fine even with the remote but no horn when you click it.Could all this be connected to the vsm.I would be thankfull for any help because my truck is like new it only has 276,000 miles on it.Got to love that 7.3.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-19-2011, 03:09 PM

Yes sir, sounds like the vsm. I had some of those simptoms on my truck until I replaced the vsm. What I did to save a few bucks was buy the module, replace it myself and have the dealership program it. As of now, only the dealer can program these.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 Lariat crew 7.3 stock for now, 197k and smooth
post #125 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-20-2011, 10:48 PM

thanks, i was afraid it was, but the old girl is worth fixin
post #126 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-21-2011, 12:19 PM

I got my door ajar problem to go away by replacing the bolts that hold the door latch assembly in place,it seem at some point they got loose and wore a groove into the bolt so even when it was tight the latch had some play. Now I thimk im having vsm issues....power windows that work sometimes...drivers side never..this switch will engage or disengage the master acc relay..power locks dont work...Am I on the right track ?

99 F350 SRW 4DR LB 2WD 293,000 and counting all stock at this point,have 4'' turbo back exhaust to install,waiting to get an intake system first..

Last edited by MO ifxit; 12-21-2011 at 12:20 PM. Reason: my bad typing skills
post #127 of 166 (permalink) Old 12-22-2011, 12:25 AM

Doesn't sound like the vsm, sounds more like the master switch. Also, the vsm problem was mostly on the 2002-2003 trucks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
F250 Lariat crew 7.3 stock for now, 197k and smooth
post #128 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-14-2012, 08:59 PM

My Photos: (3)
My experience with this. 2000 F250 SuperCab. Dome light popped on while driving And would not turn off. Tried WD40 in the door locks and then noticed there was no Door Ajar light. Checked the relay and worked normal. Decided to pull the headlight/dimmer switch from the dash. Upon moving it the dome light went out. Opened the switch and when moving the dimmer dial it would randomly turn the dome light on/off over the whole dial range. Looks like I need a new headlight/dimmer switch. Don't know if this could apply to the newer truck but is the problem on mine.

2000 F250SD SCLB Lariat 4x4

450 cubes, fully studded, modified.
4R100 built by me with Suncoast/Transgo/Sonnax/Ford parts.
325/65/18 BFG A/Ts on Ultra rims, custom 4" lift with rear shackle flip(no blocks), Rancho 9000Xs, Homemade bypass fuel system, bypass oil filter, Racor CCV filter, 3.5/4/5 custom exhaust, 8 yr old DI 4 pos chip, and some other stuff.

22 year US Navy vet (retired)
ASE Master Auto Tech

post #129 of 166 (permalink) Old 04-20-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie625 View Post
This is my last post on this topic, because MY TRUCK IS FIXED!!!
For anyone wondering, the fix was based on the the TSB listed below. The "mechanic " was not doing something properly when he programmed the VSM. He called and found out what he was doing wrong in the programming and bam, it's fixed. Still only charged $120 but I did have to leave the truck overnight before he got it right. No door ajar light, no interior lights staying on and the doors lock when I drive as they should. Also the key fobs work!! here is the TSB, hope it helps...

17784 2002-2004 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES/EXCURSION - DOOR AJAR LIGHT WORKING IMPROPERLY AFTER VEHICLE SECURITY MODULE REPLACEMENT
SOME 2002-2004 SUPER DUTY F-SERIES/EXCURSION VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT A DOOR AJAR LIGHT ON AFTER ALL DOORS ARE CLOSED, GOING OFF WHEN A DOOR IS OPENED, AFTER VEHICLE SECURITY MODULE (4C7Z-15604-AC) REPLACEMENT. THIS CONDITION MAY BE DUE TO PROGRAMMABLE MODULE
INSTALLATION (PMI) PROCEDURES NOT BEING FOLLOWED DURING VSM REPLACEMENT. IF THERE WAS NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE ORIGINAL VSM, AS BUILT DATA MUST BE OBTAINED AND ENTERED INTO THE NEW VSM TO COMPLETE THE PMI PROCEDURE.

Hi guys, first time poster. Just bought a used 03 Excursion.
I have the EXACT same issue listed above but I am having trouble with the dealership and looking for advice.

Background: Purchased the Truck without door locks working and door ajar light on. Went to the dealership and they couldnt communicate with the VSM. Sold me a new one. I installed it and returned for the AS BUILT programming.
They returned my truck with everything working EXCEPT when both front doors are closed they act as if they are open. They are opposite.

When you open the front doors and everything acts as it should then open a rear door the dome lights and door ajar light DONT come on.

The advice I am asking for is that they refuse to look at that TSB and claim they did everything correctly. Their solution is to sell me 2 new front door switches because they claim someone at the used car lot could have 'thrown' in the wrong switches trying to troubleshoot the bad VSM...
I've called 2 other dealers and explained my situation without naming the dealer I just worked with. They haven't seen this issue and of course want to diagnose it themselves for $85/hr.

Should I run down to napa and blow $90 on 2 front switches?
Is there a test I can run with the multimeter to see if the switch reads open or closed?
Any advice for how to approach the dealer again?
Is there someone that they call at headquarters for things like this?

I hate to be 'that guy' that they dont want to deal with. I wrench on all my own cars but was forced to go to the dealer for VSM programming. I'm not about to attempt to convince them I read something on the Internet but that is all I have left.
post #130 of 166 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 PM

They finally reprogrammed my VSM and it fixed everything. They wouldnt admit to being wrong and the bozo tech actually tried convincing me that there were sensors in the barn doors.
post #131 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 05:28 PM

I have a question, I'm working on my brother in laws 02 excab 7.3. He's having the issue with the drivers door being open and acting like its closed and vise versa. This all started when he rolled the truck over onto the drivers side. He replaced the drivers side door. The junk yard told him it was from an 02 but after trying to replace the door ajar sensor I've found that only the 05 sensor fits. So I'm thinking the door is from an 05. Noww the real question. Would him putting this 05 door on the truck with a different style sensor throw it off?

I've taken it apart like 100 times and found that when the sensor is out of the switch the chime goes off but when you press the switch down it goes off. Now when you install the sensor into the latch it turns off the chime with the door open and then turns it back on once you shut it.

This damn thing is giving me a headache. I told him to go roll it over again to see if it fixes it. But he won't.
post #132 of 166 (permalink) Old 08-08-2012, 08:21 PM

Anyone have any advice? I don't think it's the vsm, all the locks and windows work like they should and all the other doors work they way they should. I'm thinking I may have to go get a latch assembly from an 02 and a pigtail harness for the sensor to run the right one.
post #133 of 166 (permalink) Old 10-05-2012, 08:12 PM

not vsn but instrument cluster

I just went through the whole door ajar light problem. I took the truck to ford told them to program a new vsm. They came back and said that their scanner could not communicate with the computer. I was quite pissed. I then went to the junk yard and got a new instrument cluster from the same year. What do you know... all is fixed!! YAAA.
my symptoms where:
Door ajar light on
No auto headlights
Dome light stuck on
No accessory delay
post #134 of 166 (permalink) Old 02-05-2013, 11:01 AM

door lock problem

i have all these same problems, no locks, no dome light, door ajar light, no auto headlights ect. would the a bad (VSM) be the reason i have no power to the lock/unlock switch on the doors?
2002 f350 diesel crew cab
post #135 of 166 (permalink) Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 PM

Same here. Didn't start having problems until I killed the batteries cranking on it. Now no auto headlamps, L/R front door ajar warning, dome light stays on after exit and stays on until 5mph, keypad on door won't lock doors. Key fob stopped working before this. Dealer diagnosed VSM. Had replaced. Still not fixed. They think could be aftermarket wiring from 1st owner. Any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in