Wheel bearing - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (2)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wheel bearing

How do you tell if the wheel bearings are bad? If you remove the rotor and turn the hub should they make any noise? Do the leak greese when they start to go bad?

My truck has a bad pull when braking. The dealer has replace a ton of parts but has been un able to fix the problem. I think it is the wheel bearings.

2001 F250 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 05:05 PM

My Photos: (0)
Re: Wheel bearing

To my knowledge the the most reported sign ( also how I found out) is a clunk or click when turning..while driving [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] Then a terrible sound while driving strait [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Place your hand on the hub after a drive for a temp check (allow for braking temps).I will also say the dr side goes 1st 9 outa 10 times to the pass side [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/depressed.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

the right side on my truck is slinging greese out the back of the hub and the inside of the rotor are covered.

2001 F250 4x4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:34 AM

My Photos: (1)

No profile in post, is it 2wd or 4wd?

2015 F350 Platinum Max Tow What a beast with the 4.30 gears!
2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 148K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 154K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 171K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 253K (no engine repairs) Hail totaled it but I kept it. Looks like a golf ball now.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

It is a 2001 f250 4x4 PSD.

2001 F250 4x4
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)

[ QUOTE ]
the right side on my truck is slinging greese out the back of the hub and the inside of the rotor are covered.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your wheel bearing/hub assembly is toast, or soon to be. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Get it replaced before it fails catastrophically. (Wheel passing you on the highway, etc, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img])

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-20-2005, 02:52 PM

My Photos: (0)

The bearing may infact be toast but the slinging grease only means the rear dust boot popped off.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

So you are saying that the seals are removeable from this non servicable bearing?

It that is the case then why don't people pop this dust boot off and greese the bearings?

2001 F250 4x4
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2005, 10:27 PM

My Photos: (14)

i got tired of changing these stupid things out. they go when they want, especially while traveling [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. i just opted for the bend over routine and shelled out the dough to danatrac. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

99.5 F350XLT CC LB 4X4, 8" SUPERLIFT, 17X10 WELD SANDSTORMS, 40/13.50X17 GOODYAER MT/R, AIR INTAKE HEATER PLUG, AFE STAGE II, WHICKED WHEEL,JOHN WOODS TANNY STAGE II, DYNATRAC SUPER DUTY COMBO KIT, AGR ROCK RAM SYSTEM, 6 POSITON CHIP WITH JODY TIPTON BURNS, HOG 4" TURBO BACK EXHAUST, 4.56 GEARS FRONT AND BACK WITH ARB AIR LOCKERS, ARB AIR COMPRESSOR
ECLIPSE 5495, SOUNDSTREAM CONTINUUM, 2 PAIRS ECLIPSE SC8365 3WAY COMPONENTS, ECLIPSE SW9102 SUB. 10" FLIP DOWN SCREEN, PS2, AND LOTS MORE!

2002 EXCURSION LIMITED 7.3TDI, AFE STAGE II, DIPRICOL GAUGES, DP TUNER F5 CHIP, 4" HOG PERFORMANCE TURBO BACK EXHAUST
2005 VOLKSWAGON JETTA 1.9TDI, KERMA QLOADER, 100 HP AND 40+MPG IF I AM GOOD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in