Where do I find a grill cover? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Where do I find a grill cover?

With Michigan's cold weather coming,I am thinking about installing a grill cover for faster warm-ups. Where can I buy one? Anyone have good/bad experiences with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:38 AM

My Photos: (17)
Re: Where do I find a grill cover?

I used one from Lund and did not notice any difference in warm up. Basically, it will warm up at the same rate as long as the t-stat stays closed. Bob Riley's 203 t-stat will help. If you cannot keep it operating at the desired temp then consider the cold or winter front. The best cold fronts are made by Alaska Tent & Tarp. Look here. BTW, the coolant filter plumbed as Bob Riley depicts is the biggest impediment to warm up but he probably didn't notice any difference in Florida. I also have deleted my EBPV and at least so far have no issues warming up.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds but otherwise stock.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 11:41 AM

I have considered buying on as well. I don't know how much it would help though. It seems there must be an easy and inexpensive home remedy to this with a few items picked up at Home Depot. Obviously there is the cardboard solution, but I would prefer not to look quite that ghetto.

Anybody have any suggestions?

03 F-350 6.0PSD SRW / Supercab / Short Bed / Rhino Liner / DR 3" Hanger Level Kit / DR Shocks / 18" Moto Metal 951 / BFG TA-KO 305-65-18

The above has been sold

2015 F-250 6.7L SRW / Platinum / Crew Cab / Short Bed / Bone stock...for now.

NRA Endowment Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 12:29 PM

I use the Lund winter front inserts, and I have the summer ones to keep rocks/bugs out of my rad/AC condenser.

It made a huge difference for me. There were times last year when I could drive across the city in stop and go traffic and not get heat in 45 minutes of driving. That's with me parking in a heated shop btw. I added the front and things got much more comfortable.

The Lund covers were around 70 dollars for each one from what I remember. Money well spent IMHO, and they don't have the ugly look of the tarp style ones above. You can barely tell there's anything there.

2015 F350 CCLB Lariat SRW
1988 Mustang GT 8.45 @ 160
2008 H+H 24' CL series V Nose Car Hauler
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 01:17 PM

Elliot2...
Have used both the Lund inserts for cold and the stainless steel cover for bugs, rocks etc. They worked well until I put on a tube grill cover and a bush guard. Now it is too much work to put either on, so PM me if you want both or either at a reasonable cost.

Good luck!

99.5 F-350 S/C 4X4 - gone
2012 F 350 S/C 4X4 Lariat - Armaguard liner, OEM rear wheel tubs, adobe powder coated cab guard & fifth wheel gate, Beamer HID's, Rigid 20" light with adobe bar, Kenwood stereo with Nav & back up camera, flush mount led b/u lights, Fuel "Pump" rims w/ Toyo Extreme AT2's
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 03:16 PM

My Photos: (17)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk88GT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Lund winter front inserts, and I have the summer ones to keep rocks/bugs out of my rad/AC condenser.

It made a huge difference for me. There were times last year when I could drive across the city in stop and go traffic and not get heat in 45 minutes of driving. That's with me parking in a heated shop btw. I added the front and things got much more comfortable.

The Lund covers were around 70 dollars for each one from what I remember. Money well spent IMHO, and they don't have the ugly look of the tarp style ones above. You can barely tell there's anything there. </div></div>There is a BIG difference in temperature between Winnipeg and SE Michigan. Our winters would feel like a warm spring day there. I agree if you cannot maintain normal operating temperature in winter a cold front will help but I just did not see any difference in the rate of warmup with a cold soaked engine with or without the cold front.

2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds but otherwise stock.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 04:52 PM Thread Starter

It sounds Like minimal help for faster warm-ups.I have a 203* t-stat and a remote start.I guess I'm just being a baby! [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cry.gif[/img]
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 06:07 PM

My Photos: (12)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haul_n_horses2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk88GT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use the Lund winter front inserts, and I have the summer ones to keep rocks/bugs out of my rad/AC condenser.

The Lund covers were around 70 dollars for each one from what I remember. Money well spent IMHO, and they don't have the ugly look of the tarp style ones above. You can barely tell there's anything there. </div></div>There is a BIG difference in temperature between Winnipeg and SE Michigan. Our winters would feel like a warm spring day there. I agree if you cannot maintain normal operating temperature in winter a cold front will help but I just did not see any difference in the rate of warmup with a cold soaked engine with or without the cold front. </div></div> Well I live in Winnipeg and have never had a heat issue. This truck is the best winter vehicle I've owned. Dmax requires a winter front but these Fords don't. I would only consider it for highway use when it's -30 or worse. Then being cheap, I just put a piece of cardboard in front of the rad. [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]

2011 f250 XLT 4X4 Crew Cab.

SOLD - 2001 F250 XLT 7.3L SC/SB 4x4 (ESOF) - Tranny Upgrades; SCMT 1705; AIS Intake w/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
; ZooDad; Turbo back 4" Exhaust; Issopro Pillar Mount Gauges; TC lockup LED;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

I see alot of Dmaxes with black mesh covers.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 11:56 PM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: haul_n_horses2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a BIG difference in temperature between Winnipeg and SE Michigan. Our winters would feel like a warm spring day there. I agree if you cannot maintain normal operating temperature in winter a cold front will help but I just did not see any difference in the rate of warmup with a cold soaked engine with or without the cold front. </div></div>

We saw -55c for a week last winter. That's when I put the winter front on. I'm no meteorologist, but that aint no spring weather.

2015 F350 CCLB Lariat SRW
1988 Mustang GT 8.45 @ 160
2008 H+H 24' CL series V Nose Car Hauler
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 12:13 AM Thread Starter

That's what Haulin' was saying when comparing our much warmer climate to yours.If Canucks can get by then so should I!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:21 PM

I must have read it wrong, my bad [img]/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in