Worth the asking price - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 General Questions General questions related to 1999-2007 Super Duty trucks. If it doesn't fit the other categories, post it here. Gas engine discussion that pertains to all models is allowed. Specific gas engine questions should use the Gas Engines forum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 02:00 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Worth the asking price

Hello. I’m looking at purchasing a 00 Ford Excursion with a 7.3 diesel motor. The truck has 234,285 miles on it. The seller is asking $ 9,995 for it. Does anyone know how many miles on average expect out of the vehicle? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:11 PM

7.3 PSD's have been known to go for a very long time. Some have gone 750,000 to a million miles. This is with impecable TLC of coarse. There's a 7.3 PSD here in the Valley of AZ that has gone over 700,000. Original engine and oil change every 5,000 and fuel filter every 10,000.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. Is the asking price high for the truck then?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 03:57 PM

There are a lot of factors to consider before knowing for sure. Mainly how the engine was treated. How is the transmission and turbo? Lariat, XLT, etc. Leather or not. Body condition and so on. There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum. Dig deep for info. Bad a** trucks if they're taken care of.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 04:11 PM

If there is a physical listing, post it and we can take a look at it.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

For some reason it won’t let me post the link. But the site is
Ridesunlimitedchicago.com 2000 ford excursion

Here’s the add. Thanks
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:32 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My thought is that potential engine life is not the primary concern.

Midwest vehicles have rust and sometimes this can be expensive to repair.

Also, it is true that a 7.3 diesel can run in excess of 500,000 miles; however, that is with excellent maintenance. I have never yet found a used dealer who passes along the receipts and maintenance log so any vehicle purchased from a used car dealer can only be assumed to have minimal maintenance. The majority of truck owners don’t change their oil frequently because a shop charges $150+ and they don’t change their engine coolant, brake fluid, etc..

What you can expect of a 7.3 with those miles is that the injectors need to be replaced. If this has not been done yet (with receipts confirming work) then they will have to be done soon at $2,000 or so.

It will probably need shocks and tires and maybe brakes.

The 7.3 is a great engine and these can be great trucks but there are new owners on here with first diesels and they are having to spend big money to a shop or many hours in their garage diagnosing and repairing.

Plus diesel prices are much higher than gasoline.

Maybe that Ex is a good truck.
But if I were in your shoes, in the absence of receipts, I would take this to a Ford dealer for a thorough inspection before giving them a deposit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 CC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 182,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2002 F-250 4x4 SC LB 7.3 PSD w/ZF-6. 177,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
2000 F-250 4x4 SC SB 7.3 PSD w/4R100. 164,000 miles.
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 06:50 PM

Just viewed photos.

This is a well maintained truck and my guess is it was a Suburban Chicago owner who used to tow a boat up to Lake Geneva with the family each summer...Lol

He has not modded it like many Ex owners. It is all stock. It was maintained by a Ford dealer. I know the demographic this previous owner is part of and I think this is a good Ex.

It still has the upper radiator hose routed through the serpentine belt which indicates a shop maintained it.

The tires still have decent tread.

My two concerns are:
1) Injectors life are near the end.
2) The automatic 4R100 transmission is naaring end of its life but since towing was not heavy, might have a bit of life remaining before $4,000 replacement.

Those would be my reasons for taking it to a shop as well as inspecting undercarriage for rust.

Its not unreasonably priced at $10,000 if these things check out at Ford.

Of importance, the degas bottle (coolant overflow reservoir) is clean inside which is good and suggests it was not neglected.

It has Ford Motorcraft batteries.

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II, AIC, Bilstein 5100, Stancor GPR, Marinco Mod, B&W Turnover Ball, Michelin Defender LTX

NOS Black CPS. ScanGauge-II. Bilstein 5100. Noco Mod. Michelin Defender LTX 285/75/16.

SOLD:
NOS Black CPS. Rebuilt Fuel bowl w/gold spring, 6.0 Cooler, Walker BTM, Stancor GPR, Michelin LTX M&S2.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Nice. Would any ford dealership take a look at the vehicle and give me an honest review?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 07:55 PM

I only know of one Ford dealer out your way and that is Fox Valley Ford in Aurora.

There is a Ford dealer that specializes in truck fleets in Lyons off First Ave but that is too far a drive from Joliet.

I would look for a Ford dealer that has alot of fleet trucks in the lot since those will be diesels. Hopefully they still have 1-2 old grey haired (or bald) mechanics around the shop that remember the 7.3 ...Ha!

This is just my opinion and guys on here can maybe offer better options. But if that truck is as clean as it looks then it won’t last long.

SOLD:
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Does it have the turbo charger?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter

Nvm haha. That’s what I’m going to do then. I’ll call up the fox valley ford and bring it in. Thanks for the help!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-20-2018, 03:34 PM

When you look at it look at the rocker panels ,that's the worst area for these trucks . I just sold my 2002 for about that price in august with the same mileage and it had a few more options. Check oil pan for rusting through also, Not sure exactly where you are around Chicago,But Kunes Ford in Antioch Illinois does alot of fleet work/sales you could check there.

2002 Excursion limited 4x4 v-code springs,Bilstein shocks,Red Head steering box,Sct X-3 with DP-Tunes,Glow shift Gauges, Hellwig rear sway bar,Firestone air bags on the rear,Silverline Stainless 4" exhaust (SOLD)

2003 Dodge Ram 2500 Qc 4x4
S@B filter,Silverline 4" exhaust,Autometer gauges,Smarty,Raptor 150

2001 Ford Excursion Limited 4x4 Firestone airbags ,190 amp alternator ,mbrp 4" exhaust( My old Silverline sounded better) Dp Tuner F5 chip,Glowshift gauges ,Kenwood double din /nav radio,Ford AIS intake
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:32 PM

newtodiesels89:
I spent a long time looking for my truck earlier this year (02 F350 cc 4wd rdw long-box 184k) ended up buying it on E-bay. I contacted the owner (twice) while it was still on auction- and visited for probably over an hour. The owner then set me up with his mechanic- we spoke for 15-20 minutes. The truck- being from Iowa was literally rust free, no collision, and the owner was one of those guys that just took great care of vehicle. I payed much more than you’re looking at—upper end of bluebook. I have not regretted it, it’s what your willing to pay for it. I took out a small loan plus put $8500 cash down. Loan officer said “I think it’s listed high” - I said don’t worry about it!
Two days later I swing in to the bank to let bank make a copy of title before surrendering it to the DMV, the loan officer stepped outside- looked it over and said “I would have bought that in a heartbeat”
If I didn’t have a good radar for people and their B.S. I maybe wouldn’t have chanced it. Weigh all the options before you commit, but don’t listen to advise from someone who makes uneducated comments like that loan officer.

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Trans in-line return A/T fluid filter.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-23-2018, 08:39 PM

And — that post is in no way directed at anyone on this site. These guys are great and know their stuff, and are always helpful to those willing to listen- have helped me a bunch of times with maintenance and mods. You can’t go wrong visiting Diesel Stop on a regular basis if you do end up getting a diesel truck

2002 F350 7.3L / 4R100 - 4WD CC DRW 8 Box, AIH Delete, Gauges- Pyro, Trans Temp, Boost, Fuel Pressure, TS-6 tuner, Zoodad Mod, Mishimoto 31 row Trans cooler, Trans in-line return A/T fluid filter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 General Questions

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in