1995 7.3 rough running - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did all those tests and everything checked out fine. No broken wires from the PCM, all three ohm’ed out at less than 1 ohm, going to the ICP pigtail and the voltages were right on 5V. ICP plug does not have any oil on it but I have read where people have had the ICP be bad with no oil on the plug at all either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Installed a new ICP and it cleared the code but it’s still having the rough idling problem. Ran injector buzz test and it came back with P0282 #8 Injector Circuit Low. Of course this is the same side I put in a new UVCH and new pigtail for the plug on 2 and 4. At this point I don’t know what to do or what to check next. Any suggestions??
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 08:30 PM

My Photos: (19)
I would measure the resistance of the injector solenoids on that connector (that would be from the center pin to each of the immediate adjacent pins (outer pins are for glowplugs, so that would be for injector solenoids #6 and #8). You should get around 3 ohms for each). Free to do anyway! Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-01-2019, 10:14 PM

I would take a step backwards and check the fuel pressure.

I can see where a lack of fuel (indicated by low pressure) could cause it to idle rough. Then when you rev it up, your pressure builds to a sufficient level. There is no code/sensor of any sort on your fuel system.

The cost is zero dollars and the time spent is about 46 seconds.

--------

The no-start condition with the new ICP unplugged is curious. I can't decide if that could also be low fuel pressure related, or perhaps a sluggish IPR?

Last edited by Kimber1911; 04-01-2019 at 10:18 PM.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

If I get it started and it sounds like it’s running on four cyclinders, when I give it gas it still sounds that way and usually dies. Do I need a special fuel pressure gauge and if so where do I get one?
One more question, could the rough idling be caused by an IDM that is bad or going bad?
Thanks again for all the help you all are giving me it is much appreciated.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 08:15 PM

If it's the IDM it will sound like its running on only one bank and the CEL should be on. For fuel pressure, you can use a cheapo "stick" tire gauge with a rag around the joint (otherwise you'll get a fuel bath) or if you can find one, a glycerin-filled 0-100 psi gauge (the glycerin will dampen the pressure pulse from the fuel pump). Cheers!

, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 05:36 PM Thread Starter

Retested the wiring from the IDM plug to the harnesses and still had the 3.1 ohms on the power feed to injector ground. So I pulled the wrapping off the harness to the connector that I didn’t replace on the driver side and the insulation on the wiring was soft and mushy and I could peel it off with my thumbnail it was so soft. The wires were bare in a couple of spots. So I separated all the wires and rechecked the ohms and it read OL like it should have. So I’ve ordered a new connector pigtail. I’m going to have to cut more of the wiring out than what comes on the pigtail so I’m going to have to make two soldered splices on the shielded wires. Don’t want to but I don’t have a choice at this point. Does anyone think this could have fried the IDM? Won’t know until I repair the wires I guess.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:00 PM

Good find! I'll wager the IDM is OK. It will usually shutdown one bank with a short like that. If dome well the 2 soldered joints should be fine. The only way to only have one would be to use your own sourced wire, solder that on the harness, crimp on new pins and assemble the pin seals with new connector shell pieces (they have "harness repair kits" for that). Cheers!

, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2019, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

You guys have been a tremendous help and I’ll post what happens when I get the splices done. Thanks for all the help so far.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 07:53 AM Thread Starter

Before I start this fix is there a certain kind of wire I should use for my splices between the factory wires to the wires on the new pigtail?
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Got the harness wired in and it fired right up.....after I remembered to plug the IDM connector back in. I’m sure I’ll be in here from time to time since the truck is pushing 25 years old. Thanks for all the help it’s much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in