1995 psd Trans problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2014, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1995 psd Trans problem

I have some issues goin on with my e4od. 1995 f250 diesel. 4x4.

Today when I took a trip on the interstate I noticed the torque converter locking and unlocking almost constantly. It would not stay locked unless I was accellerating putting on a load. I was pulling an empty car trailer. Did it all the way to my destination, then after I turned the truck off for a while the problem went away. Never had this problem before and ideas?

also something that It has always done and may be related, when in 1st the trans seems to slip. if im going down a gravel road and punch the throttle the tires dont spin at all. Is this the torque converter or something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 01:46 AM

Low fluid level would be my first guess

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 F250 PS. Stock with 190k. Auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
A wiring problem with the trailer is my guess.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 09:05 AM

I withdraw my guess and fully support Mark's

1995 F250 PS. Stock with 190k. Auto
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-30-2014, 10:18 AM

Problem in the brake wiring or ground to same will cause the Torque converter to unlock.

97 F-350-4X4-AUTO 355 GEARS--317,000+ MILES--ROSEWOOD STAGE 1 INJECTORS--SD HPOP--IDM MOD--BTS TRANS WITH SCHAEFER'S OIL --HYDROBOOST BRAKE SETUP-DPP DOWNPIPE--TS 6 POSITION CHIP--TYMAR INTAKE & HX MOD--HAYDON TRANS COOLER--FS 2500 BYPASS OIL FILTER--AMSOIL 5-30 OIL---EVANS COOLANT-203 STAT--WINDSTAR ELECTRIC FAN--DTRL--SYLVANIA SUPERSTAR BULBS- -ROYAL PURPLE SYNTHETIC IN BOTH REARS--WARN LOCKING HUBS--ISSPRO GAUGES IN AUTOMETER 3 GAUGE POD--XL CRUISE MOD--EXPLORER OVERHEAD CONSOLE-AC MOD--BILSTEIN SHOCKS--DB HT STARTER--WESTERN PLOW--CARGORAILS--NRA LIFE MEMBER--LIFE MEMBER SAFARI CLUB
1992 CONVERTABLE VETTE
1996 MERCEDES C280
1993 MERCEDES 190E
67 RS/SS CAMARO
2004 325I WAGON
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

Ok I can see how the trailer may be the problem, my lights are all rigged up. but wouldnt that be a constant issue instead of intermittant? and the problem of slippage in 1st happens with nothing hitched to the truck as well. Thanks for the replies
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

And I did check my third brake light it is working
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 11:11 AM

My Photos: (2)
Have you looked at the harness on the truck side? I've had wires with a single braid come loose inside the plug and mess with things. Also possible someone did a hack job on the truck harness to put the plug in and has something messed up. Intermittent problems always seem to come back to a ground wire somewhere.
AaronSEIA

My Truck:

97 F250 4 door shortbed, E4OD
DIY intake
Kingpin Dana 60
otherwise stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in