1996 7.3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 7.3

I have a 1996 7.3 auto 4 wheel drive anyone know if this is the right pcm or which one do I need
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1546113493377.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	940.9 KB
ID:	126262  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:40 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
That is the IDM that drives the injectors.

The PCM is located behind the trim and emergency brake assembly. If you look down the drivers side fender on the firewall you will see the connector.

Here is a set of instructions on putting in a chip which shows how to pull the PCM.

https://www.totaldieselperformance.c...stall94-97.pdf

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 03:06 PM

What was being worked on when the chip was removed or tried to be reinstalled?

A performance chip is installed in the PCM and not the IDM. If the work was being done around the IDM I would check the fuses under the hood #22, #9, and #8. If it is related to killing the truck those fuses will do it.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 08:25 PM Thread Starter

My buddy plugged the chip in while it was running and killed it so what did it mess up and what do I need to buy
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-31-2018, 10:14 PM

My Photos: (19)
You most likely fried the PCM, which as mentioned is down low on the firewall. It comes out through the engine compartment. You can read the program code using a flashlight and mirror (and deciphering the backwards text). It should be a DPC-202 family of PCM (49-state, automatic trans) and then have an alphanumeric code such as TDE0 or NAW4, etc. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Thank u all so much one more question the part that drives the injectors is that the right code for the truck it’s from a junk yard from the guy before and the truck misses out and runs like **** could that be the wrong one or would that cause it to run bad
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 10:44 AM

On the injector driver module (IDM) any one of them from a 1994 to a 2003 will work.

A miss can be caused by a lot of different things but one of the big things with these trucks in the wiring that goes through the valve cover harness to the injectors. The glow plug wiring will burn the connectors to where the injector wiring will start to short out causing a problem.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 02:12 PM Thread Starter

So the pcm is what the chip plugs into correct ?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 06:52 PM

Yes, the chip connects into the PCM

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in