1996 F250 7.3L vacuum issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1996 F250 7.3L vacuum issue

Hey guys I drive a 1996 f250 7.3 powerstroke, The truck sat for about a month in my garage and mice decided to make a home in my blower motor, so i pulled the blower motor out today and cleaned it all up and stuck it back in and I have air again. However, now when i drive the truck when i first get on the gas it acts as if something is blocking a vacuum and i lack power, and at a certain RPM the pressure is released and power comes back like normal. Any idea what It could be? the truck drove absolutely fine until i messed with the blower motor.

-StormTrooped 7.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 07:42 PM

Diesels do not make vacuum of any sort. You have a vacuum pump mounted to the front of the engine to provide vacuum for the HVAC controls and for the brake booster.

Time to go over the area you were working in to be sure that everything is connected properly. You may have disconnected/broken the MAP sensor hose, which is on the passenger upper/inner side of the head/valve cover.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Will do, Could that cause a loss of power in the truck? its not significant loss and could honestly be my mind playing tricks on me. But there definitely is a suction noise up until about 2k RPM and then that "pressure" is released

-StormTrooped 7.3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 12:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get on the gas? Don't do that!

Is it a whhssssshhh sound? Goes away when you floor the go-pedal? Goes away completely when the engine is good and hot? That's your EBPV - exhaust back-pressure valve. Closes if the outside temperature is below 37F and the oil temp (EOT) is below 150F. Opens at 150F EOT, and opens temporarily when you floor it. It intentionally increases exhaust back pressure supposedly to speed up warm-up time. A lot of people don't like it, and disconnect the electrical connector to it and wire it open.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 06:29 AM

My Photos: (2)
Sounds exactly like the exhuast back pressure valve (EBPV) doing it's job. Butterfly valve in the outlet of the turbo. When it's cold, oil pressure closes it to help the engine warm up. If you really hammer on it going down the road, it'll open up. Normal, but a lot of guys here have unplugged it.
AaronSEIA

My Truck:

97 F250 4 door shortbed, E4OD
DIY intake
Kingpin Dana 60
otherwise stock
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thankyou so much guys that's exactly what i wanted to hear!

-StormTrooped 7.3
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-13-2016, 10:57 AM

If you think it might be coming from the blower motor, check the white vacuum line near the Right hood hinge, shown here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:07 PM

I replaced my white vacum line with the 3/32 vacum hose over the weekend , made a big difference in my AC
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Is it a whhssssshhh sound? Goes away when you floor the go-pedal? Goes away completely when the engine is good and hot? That's your EBPV - exhaust back-pressure valve. Closes if the outside temperature is below 37F and the oil temp (EOT) is below 150F. Opens at 150F EOT, and opens temporarily when you floor it. It intentionally increases exhaust back pressure supposedly to speed up warm-up time. A lot of people don't like it, and disconnect the electrical connector to it and wire it open.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronSEIA View Post
Sounds exactly like the exhuast back pressure valve (EBPV) doing it's job. Butterfly valve in the outlet of the turbo. When it's cold, oil pressure closes it to help the engine warm up. If you really hammer on it going down the road, it'll open up. Normal, but a lot of guys here have unplugged it.
AaronSEIA
Just learned something new today. Thanks.
I'd recently noticed that exact "problem"over the last month or so, just during the first few minutes of driving. I guess I'd never noticed it before since it rarely gets cold down in South Texas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in