1997 Ford F250 7.3l Stalls randomly - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1997 Ford F250 7.3l Stalls randomly

Hello I am new here and read many of the posts here. I recently was given this truck from my grandpa, who was the original owner. This truck has 187,000 miles on it. I have changed out the ICP sensor and the cps sensor. I have driven the truck multiple days in a row during the week with no issues. Then this morning I started it and drove it down the driveway and it stalled. I was able to start it up with no problem. The check engine light came on. Tomorrow I will have access to a scanner and will check the codes. This is the second time this has happened. Last sunday it did the same thing in the morning. It hasn't been that cold here. Mostly 65 degrees when started. I also noticed that the fuel mpg has been poor lately as well. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with the random stalling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 04:47 PM

My Photos: (19)
Welcome!

The codes should help you out a bit. Was the replacement CPS (and ICP) an OEM replacement or an aftermarket unit? You might want to check the fuel pressure at idle (at the shrader valve on the driver's side of the fuel bowl). Check the oil level and condition. Inspect the wiring and connector to the Injection Pressure Regulator (IPR valve) as fuel leaks can turn the insulation to goo. Check that the "tin nut" holding the IPR solenoid is in place and snug. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I made sure to get oem for both cps and icp sensors. The old cps sensor was the grey. I switched it over to the dark grey one. Thanks! I will look over those areas. That gives me a good start of where to look at
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-07-2019, 08:55 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Are you Wade from Glenwood?

If so this is JimP from Gypsrm

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

I am not. Sorry bout the confusion! Ha
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-08-2019, 10:13 PM

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
No proble, I know someone who uses the same name on a number of sites.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-13-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

I pulled one code last week p0743, so I checked the wiring harness and the plug and did not see anything wrong with it. Other than there was oil on the plug. So I cleaned it up and connected it. Today I ran it after clearing that code. And again it stalled this morning and I pulled a new code that said its pending p0755. Does this mean my solenoid is bad or I need to trace the complete wiring harness back to the pcm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in