7.3 powerstroke won,t start - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:43 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 powerstroke won,t start

l have a 1995 f350 7.3 powerstroke. the other night it was 33 degrees out side and l did,nt have my truck plugged in
l tried to start my truck it would turn over but won,t start. l wround up running my battery down so l tried to jump it off. l turn the key on and off 5 times to get the glow plugs to heat up hopeing it would start but l wround up burning up my injector harness and the connector on the valve cover front driver side. l replaced the gasket and the 5 wire connector pretty sure l have the right wires connected now it will turn over but won,t start. what do l need to check. l am lost really need help. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 10:38 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Cycling the glow plugs does nothing more than put wear and tear on the relay, it also didn't burn the connectors, that is a common problem.

Start with testing the relay and the glow plugs. I am betting that the relay is bad along with a few of the plugs themselves.

https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...e-first-75094/

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter

l also replaced the glow plugs. and its 64 degrees out today, it will turn over but will not start
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 07:05 PM

My Photos: (19)
CEL on? Wait-to-Start light coming on? Oil level good? Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

the truck was running great l got off from work went to start it up and it started then just cut off. turned the switch key on and off a few times but wround up running my battery down tried jumping it off but it would,nt start that is when l noticed the front driver side pigtail and connector was burnt together, l replaced the gasket and grow plugs and pigtail and i,m almost sure l hooked the wiring up don,t know what l,mright. but it still will not start. new oil and filter about a week ago.this is my first diesel and this is kicking my Butt. don,t know what l.m missing. can someone tell me whats going on. Thanks
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:07 AM

Big fuse for the fuel bowl heater may have let go. Can't think of the number just now, maybe number 22 or #9 in the box under the hood?

'94 1/2 F250 4x4, SuperCab XLT, 5 spd, SMF w/ Valaeo clutch, 4.10 (syn. lube), Rotella 5W40 Syn, manual hubs, B&W Gooseneck hitch, Cooper ST Maxx tires in 235/85R16, authentic TYMAR intake, 4" AFE exhaust, FRP mod., SD starter, Isspro boost/pyro,digital thermometer, homebuilt exhaust brake, 194K Fresh factory injectors at 186K, TS-6 chip. Dana 60 conversion! "Its only a pickup. Trucks have a button on the shifter!"

'12 F150 Supercrew, 4x4, 5.0L, Lariat, 146K, "Race Red" and no speeding tickets yet...

1996 Bronco, last of the line! XLT, 5.8L, 160K and going strong!
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 09:30 AM

Start at the basics:

Are you getting the wait to start light on the dash?

Did you test the glow plug relay? How to is in the link in my first post.

Are you getting any smoke out of the tail pipe when cranking?

Is there fuel in the filter housing?

With all the cranking you have done check the oil level in the high pressure oil pump. There is a allen head plug on the top of it that you can remove. The level should be within 1"- 1/2 " from the top.

If you changed just one pigtail and even screwed up the wires it will still start.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

yes l am waiting on the start light to go out and l have oil in the high pressure oil pump but l haven,t checked the relay, l will be checking that in a moment. thanks l will let you know what l find.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

changed out relay still no start.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 05:28 PM

Are the batteries back up to a full charge?

Can you plug it in for a couple of hours and then try to start it?

Is there fuel in the filter housing?

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

batterys charged overnight and had it plugged in will check fuel bowl when l get home. also someone said that the icp could cause it not to start. how do l check this. thanks for all ya,ll help.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 04:38 PM

It could be the ICP, just unplug it and the PCM will use the default setting for it.

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

l will unplug the lcp and see do l leave it unpluggeg l opened up fuel bowl have half full and notice when l am trying to crank her there is very very little smoke coming out of tail pipe,
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayroof10
Hey bugman l just want to thank you for your help on this, this is my first diesel and it,s a different ball game than a gas engine, you asked if l was getting smoke from tail pipe l notice today while trying to start it there was very very little smoke coming from tail pipe. and also the lcp that switch is behind the high pressure oil pump right, and do l leave it unplugged . thanks again
If you are getting smoke out of the tail pipe that usually means that you are getting fuel and that the injectors are firing.

Do you have a way to monitor the battery voltage when cranking the engine over? I believe that you need a minimum of 10 volts to get all the electronics to fire up. But it sounds like that is alright.

The low fuel has me wondering on the fuel delivery. So, test the fuel pressure on the shrader valve on the side of the filter housing when cranking. You should have around 30psi at the valve. You can use a pencil type air pressure gauge for this, just wrap it up in a rag or you might take a diesel bath.

Yes, just leave the ICP unplugged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuelheaterconnection2.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	126972  

post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

while turning it over l notice l was,nt getting hardly any smoke from tail pipe you have to be right at tail pipe to see it. also is that the ICP or the IPR thats right behind the air compressor, l thought the ICP was down on bottom of high pressure oil tank at bottom front of fuel bowl because l removed the sensor behind the compressor and turned engine over but hardly any oil came out.

Last edited by rayroof10; 03-28-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in