95 running rough - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
95 running rough

Had a fuel leak on a 95 f250 7.3. Changed o-rings on fuel pump and filter canister. When I put it all back together it ran ragged. Any ideas? Injector issue, or not enough fuel pressure? Thanks.

95 F250 powerstroke 7.3L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2009, 04:41 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblood View Post
Had a fuel leak on a 95 f250 7.3. Changed o-rings on fuel pump and filter canister. When I put it all back together it ran ragged. Any ideas? Injector issue, or not enough fuel pressure? Thanks.
Check the harness that is on side of canister that has connector. This is the harness that leads to IPR. You might have oil in connector or cut wire. Wiggle that harness around while running and see what it does.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Swamps,Tony Wildman
Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 12:44 PM Thread Starter

update

Tried moving wire harness connection on side of canister while running, tried messing with all the wire connections, nothing helped. Currently it runs even worse than before.

I did find one more thing. The passenger side connection (part of which is for the glow plug?) going to the head, furthest in front of the engine, has a single melted pin (the pin closest to engine front), when I tried to clean it, it snapped off. Any idea what that pin is for, and if it would cause the rough running, and why it would melt in the first place? Replacement part numbers would be appreciated as well. Open to all ideas here. Thanks.

95 F250 powerstroke 7.3L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 01:07 PM

My Photos: (19)
On all the valvecover harness connections, the outermost pins are for the glowplugs (2 each connector). The middle 3 pins are for the injectors. If the glowplug wiring has melted or burned, it could have shorted with the injector wiring. I would bet that this may be the source of your problem. You can get harness repair kits or a simple pigtail for the external connectors. Internal harnesses under the valvecover are simply replaced. If either external or internal connections are melted/burned, replace the valvecover gasket as well! Sniff the oil cap for that butned electrical smell. Here's some part numbers:

Under Valve Cover Harness (94-97)
(Ford) F4TZ-9D930-K
(International) 1815923C92
(Napa) 700-2371

Valve Cover External Harness Repair Kits (contains 4 hard shells w/seals, w/o pins)
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-BA (94-96) w/o pins
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-AA (97) w/o pins
(International) 1830829C91 w/o pins
Female Pins, no wire lead (International) 1661875C1
Female Pins, with 6” wire lead (International) 2501055C1
Individual Wire/Pin seals (International) 1661872C1
Pigtail with 5 Wires and Connector (Performance Specialties and also available from Powerstrokeshop.com) 99288

Valve Cover Gasket (94-97)
(Ford) F4TZ-6584-A
(International) 1818350C2
(Napa) FPGVS50483R (too expensive at $79.99 ea last time I checked)

Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 01:17 PM

My Photos: (11)
OK Patrick beat me to it, I guess there is enough info for u (lol)

If that connector is melted it also can cause the injectors to miss fire. There are 5 pins in there. 2 out site pins are glow plugs, center pin is ground and other 2 are injector pins. When they melt it can cause a miss. You should consider replacing valve cover gaskets and under valve cover harness.s as well as repair the melted connectors. Look at this link and the first 3 pics are the pins and connectors.
Labeled Parts pictures from cars photos on webshots

Here are melted connectors on gaskets
PowerStroke Stuff III pictures from cars photos on webshots

part numbers

Valve Cover Harness Repair Kits (contains 4 hard shells w/seals, w/o terminals)
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-BA (94-96)
(Ford) F7TZ-14489-AA (97)
(International) 1830829C91 removal tool and Shells w/o pins
(International) 1661875C1 Pins
(International) 2501055C1 Pins with 6" wire
Valve cover harness replacement terminals:
Industry P/N 103935; Winzer Distributing (1-800-527-4126) selection number D52
Valve Cover Harness "Wedge" repair (not sure of years it fits or what it looks like)
(Ford) 2c3z-14a163-ab
Valve Cover Gasket (94-97)
(Ford) F4TZ-6584-A
(International) 1818350C2
Valve Cover Harness, under valve cover
(Ford) F4TZ-9D930-K (94-97)
(International) 1815923C92 (94-97)

99 F350 Super Duty CCLB 7.3 Auto DRW 150000 miles, multi disk converter,Hydra chip with TW tunes,ISSPRO EV2 pyro fuel trans

1996 F250 XLT Ext Cab, Powerstroke, 4x4 Dana 60, Bilsteins shocks, BTS Trans, Baby
Swamps,Tony Wildman
Chip, AutoMeter Pyro/Trans/Boost, Tymar intake, MBRP 4 in turbo back exhaust, 209000 miles,D&B HT Starter

1996 F350 XL PowerStroke 4X4 DRW, Auto Trans, Stock Work Dump truck, DDP down pipe,Tymar intake, 113000 miles

Last edited by Excavator; 02-15-2009 at 01:19 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-15-2009, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Will do

Thanks a bunch both of you, that was quick. I'll give it a try and update early this week.

95 F250 powerstroke 7.3L
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 02:42 PM Thread Starter

Smelled burnt wiring. Pulled the passenger side valve cover, melted connectors on the furthest forward pin, and the furthest back (the glow plug in the front on that side, and the glow plug in the back) on the harnesses under the cover.

I'm going to replace it all, but am wondering if there is a bigger picture I am missing here. Originally it was a fuel leak, and now I've got what is looking like two bad glow plugs simultaneously. I'm replacing all four plugs, and all wiring, but am I missing something?

95 F250 powerstroke 7.3L
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 PM

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxblood View Post
Smelled burnt wiring. Pulled the passenger side valve cover, melted connectors on the furthest forward pin, and the furthest back (the glow plug in the front on that side, and the glow plug in the back) on the harnesses under the cover.

I'm going to replace it all, but am wondering if there is a bigger picture I am missing here. Originally it was a fuel leak, and now I've got what is looking like two bad glow plugs simultaneously. I'm replacing all four plugs, and all wiring, but am I missing something?
May have bumped something while working ....They were already burned ....

Rick.....
97 F 350 ...Lucky 13
"Most stuff's just stuck & needs hittin with a hammer .Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families
Special thanks to RacerX USA

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Replaced external and internal wiring harnesses on passenger side, replaced glow plugs (they looked fine), replaced vc gasket. Also, found another melted connector on driver side rear, replaced internal/external harness and gasket on driver side.

Slow to start, but seemed to do the trick, runs smooth. Now gotta get back to that fuel leak, and see if it is still around...

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the help.

95 F250 powerstroke 7.3L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in