95 stroke losing coolant and more... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 01:35 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thumbs down 95 stroke losing coolant and more...

Hi hows it going my truck is a 1995 ford powerstroke it is eating up coolant it doesnt have a leak i just sent the radiator to my rad shop and its doesnt have a leak i put about 1gallon in every week there is no smoke and it doesnt smell like coolant when its running it also have a thin layer of sludge inside the valve cover and it doest like to start when its cold im assuming its the glow plugs it starts fine when its plugged in though so if anyone has any ideas please help me out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 10:13 AM

My Photos: (19)
Check the weep hole on the water pump and also the thermostat housing flange. Also check your oil for evidence of coolant as this may indicate a leaking oil cooler. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-13-2008, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks ya there is coolant in my oil and does anyone know where to get a turbo reblulid kit for this truck my bearing are bad in it aswell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:50 AM

Pat, what is the "weep hole" and why is it there? I noticed I have a large leak SOMETIMES in my new 97 stroke. It wasnt there yesterday or the day before but a couple days ago it was..and dripping bad. seems like its intermittent. around my tstat housing gets wet and the temp sender too.

Fatk22, look on ebay, Theres a guy who sells a lot of them. I got one for my old truck and it was real easy to rebuild, new bearings and thrust collar and the whole deal. If I were you, id get a new ball bearing turbo.

eBay Motors: FORD 7.3 POWERSTROKE TURBO TURBOCHARGER REBUILD KIT (item 310090454080 end time Oct-15-08 06:00:00 PDT)

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 10:42 PM

My Photos: (19)
The weep hole is on the bottom of the waterpump snout. Any coolant leaking past the shaft seal will drain out this hole. The T-stat housing is also a big leaker and can be a PITA to get leak-free. A new gasket and making sure that the "housing ears" (where the bolts go) are slightly bent upward so that the gasket is compressed when the bolts are tightened. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 10:45 PM

what is a pita???
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-14-2008, 11:08 PM

pita pain in the anus
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 12:16 AM

Don't worry about any other problem until you find out where the coolant is going. If no one has been keeping up the additive in the coolant you might have a junk block due to cavitation.

97 F350 SW CC 4X4 Auto, IDM mod, TW six position, DIY Stage I's, Beans D66 Turbo & 3" DP, 4" straight exhaust, Mobil 1 ATF, Tru-Cool 28k, Fuel filler mod, 99 Intercooler, Open Air Filter, SmittyBuilt stainless nerf bars, Trans-go tugger kit and Billet TC

2011 Silverado LML (work truck), 72 Mach I 552 stroker
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

ok its not a junk block i just rebuilt it and i had the block machined and all that so the block is good when we rebuilt it i didnt put a new hpop oil cooler on it and waterpump or injectors i just so im leaning towards the oilcooloer casue there is coolant in my oil so im guesing thats it thanks let me know what youthink
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 12:48 AM

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...tating-149894/

Don't mean to be the voice of doom but cavitation damage is a real possibility if the SCA levels were not maintained. Special coolant testing and maintanance is required with the PSD. What was the reason for the rebuild?

Lot's of good reading if you use the search function.

97 F350 SW CC 4X4 Auto, IDM mod, TW six position, DIY Stage I's, Beans D66 Turbo & 3" DP, 4" straight exhaust, Mobil 1 ATF, Tru-Cool 28k, Fuel filler mod, 99 Intercooler, Open Air Filter, SmittyBuilt stainless nerf bars, Trans-go tugger kit and Billet TC

2011 Silverado LML (work truck), 72 Mach I 552 stroker
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-16-2008, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

melted a pistion with a programmer thats why we rebult it i have been useing the dealership coolant in since rebulit so i would assume all is well with that
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 08:11 AM

I also am loosing coolant, i'll check the oil. what is the additive to the coolant. I guess i'm cheap, just bought the cheaper brand of coolant at walmart. if i need to put in an additive or change coolant brands let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in