'96 7.3L won't start white smoke - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
'96 7.3L won't start white smoke

Hey guys new to posting iv always read your forms and get my issues resolved. This time is different. So I bought a 96 f250 powerstroke the other day none running. Not much of a back story on it. It won't start has white smoke when trying. So it has new starter, new glow plug relay, new injectors (so the previous owner say old ones came with it to), new cam positioning sensor, rebuilt turbo, switched idm from my other powerstroke, checked continuity from glow plugs they all seem to be fine, checked glow plug relay good, checked valve cover gasket wiring harness good, hpop oil level is good, unpluged injector pressure sensor on driver side head still no start, fuel bowl is filling up when cranking and clean, fuse #22 is good same with the rest of the fuses, oil was just changed and is good on level, wait to start light comes on like normal, rpms go up when starting, oil gauge shows good pressure. Now I know ether is bad and I don't normally use it but I was out of ideas and wondered if motor was bad so I gave her a shot. She started up and sounded fine till ether was burnt up. I have a 97 powerstroke that runs and drives so I can plug and play with parts. I bought this truck either to replace mine or parts for mine all depending on if I can get it running. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. I have bin reading threw forums for three days with no results in my truck I have probably 2 hours of crank time on the truck. So I believe the oil rails should be air free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-15-2016, 07:56 PM

The smoke means you're getting fuel. Have you tried plugging in the block heater?

You've thrown a lot of parts at it when it could be as simple as bad glow plugs. The relay is only half the glow plug equation.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:47 AM

I didn't see where you checked your fuel pressure - maybe I missed it. You may not be getting enough fuel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Didn't throw all these parts at it previous owner did. I need to check fuel pressure I did it with a tire gauge just to see if it had much pressure showed 50 but I'm not going to trust that. My fuel pressure tester wont fit I need to remove the lifting bail off the motor to get to it.

I did plug in the block heater and it is in a heated garage 60 to 70 degrees. I just had the wife roll it over to see what the tire pressure gauge read and it popped over like it wanted to start but didn't.

My next thing is going to try and remove the lifting bail and get the fuel gauge on it I work 2nd shift so I only get a little time each day to plug and play. Im thinking about ordering a code reader for it to hopefully help diagnose it.

Thanks for the advice keep it coming I greatly appreciate it.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

Ok was doing some playing now I'm not getting any smoke. No wonder why the guy gave up on it it's got me baffled. I was getting a lot of smoke (filling the garage up) had it running for a few seconds off propane. Now I have no smoke.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 06:49 PM

Injector o rings
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 08:45 PM

It's possible you have a high oil pressure malfunction. You are getting some oil pressure (as indicated by the white smoke), but maybe not enough. Checking for a high oil pressure leak is a simple and inexpensive test. (The white smoke also indicates the IDM is probably good.)

Take a 5000 psi liquid-filled gauge and rig it so you can use it to cap-off a high pressure oil line, You'll need a short hydraulic hose and a hydraulic fitting (sorry, I don't remember the fitting name/number). About $40 worth of parts.

Disconnect the high pressure oil line on the passenger-side head and install the gauge on the oil line (this takes that head out of the picture). Make certain the ICP is connected and try to start it. Check the gauge pressure as you crank on it - should be at least 500 psi. If you get less than 500, disconnect the ICP and crank it again. This should jack the pressure up to 750.

If it starts and runs on the driver bank only, you have a leak somewhere in the passenger-side head.

If you don't get 500 or 750 psi on the passenger side, you may have a leak in the driver-side head. Move the pressure gauge to the driver-side oil line, unplug the ICP (important) and crank on it. The pressure should read 750. If it starts and runs on the passenger side, suspect a leak in the driver-side head.

If you get no pressure at either head, you may have leaks in both heads, and/or we'll need to check out the other high oil pressure components.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-16-2016, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Ok I will get the parts around to do this test. when you say leak in the head are you talking about bad injector o-rings. The injectors are suposibly new (previous owners words) I also have all the old injectors. Another thing I probably should have mentioned the truck has 39x,xxx miles. But suposibly the motor has 180,000 miles (previous owners words). I had the neighbor playing with it while I'm at work and still no smoke. Should I consider a bad hpop as a possibility? I should be able to perform this test by the weekend. Thanks again guys I apreciate it.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 05:39 AM

Don't let the mileage get to you....mine only has 565k on her and is driven over 100 miles every day fully loaded.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys update my neighbor is trying to start it again I haven't touched it since last post. Its trying to start it will pop over for a second and die I did notice one prong on my wire harness for glow plug is a little burnt. I think I'm going to order a valve cover and glow plug kit and check injector o-rings while I'm in there still planning on doing hpop pressure test
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jweiler View Post
Ok I will get the parts around to do this test. when you say leak in the head are you talking about bad injector o-rings. The injectors are suposibly new (previous owners words) I also have all the old injectors. Another thing I probably should have mentioned the truck has 39x,xxx miles. But suposibly the motor has 180,000 miles (previous owners words). I had the neighbor playing with it while I'm at work and still no smoke. Should I consider a bad hpop as a possibility? I should be able to perform this test by the weekend. Thanks again guys I apreciate it.
The injector o-rings can leak, an injector poppet can leak, an oil rail drain plug can leak, and a crack in the head can leak.

That's why you need to do the full diagnosis before you rip into it. Always do the basic, easy, and inexpensive troubleshooting first.

A bad hpop is always a possibility, but I'd say that's not likely the issue - and there's an inexpensive and simple test for that as well.

Does the fuel in the fuel bowl have any brown color to it? (A bad injector o-ring can dump motor oil into the fuel and it will show up at the fuel bowl.)

I'd make certain on the fuel pressure before I did anything else.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2016, 09:07 PM

And stop letting your neighbor "play" with it.

Find out exactly what he's done to it so far or we're liable to miss something.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-19-2016, 08:59 PM

If your neighbor pulled the IPR and worked on it, he may have solved your no-start problem. But when you pull the IPR, you let air into the oil system. That can cause an airlock in the pump and you may not build any pressure - that may account for the no smoke.

If he did work on the IPR, the oil system needs to be purged. Cranking the engine over may not do the job, but it will decrease the life of your starter motor. Just pull the high pressure oil lines one at a time and crank the engine. Be sure to keep the hpop reservoir full while doing this.

Once it starts, it may run rough for a while `til all the air is worked out.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Ok sorry for the confusion when I say he's playing with it I'm telling him what to do and things to try for me. I decided to order the AE ford bundle to help with diagnosing it and future problems. So sure enough after I ordered this I went out to try and start it and the darn thing fired up wont idle I half to keep my foot on the throttle if I let off it won't stay running. It will only run for about 20 seconds at a time and wont start back up unless I let it sit for 20 mins or so. Now I haven't changed anything or even messed with anything since I was no longer getting smoke. It runs pretty good when running good throttle response doesn't run rough. Do I need to keep doing cycles of running it or something I need to check? AE ford bundle will be here Monday.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 08:57 AM

Did you verify your fuel pressure?

Are you certain your gp's are working? The older and more worn your engine gets, the more important your gp's become.

Unplug your ICP while you have it running.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in