97 7.3 L Turbo Diesel Won't stay Running - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy 97 7.3 L Turbo Diesel Won't stay Running

I have a 97 turbo 7.3L that won't stay running. It starts up for few seconds then dies, especially when you put on the gas. We've done tons to it already as you can see below:

Replaced Camshaft Position Sensor (using gray now)
New fuel filter, pump (in valley)
New oil pump
New starter
New Batteries
Wiring to oil pressure sensor (was bad)

Truck started and ran great for one day after got back from the shop (he replaced the wire to the oil pressure sensor) ran it for about 60 miles then next day drove it about 50 feet and it died. Took it back into the shop, they charged the batteries (before I bought new ones) and it started up and ran fine for them for 5 days. No stalls or anything (codes included)! Hubby went and picked it up and drove it home. Next day, starts then dies, we get white/blue smoke first then black smoke when starting then dies. We are at our wits end here. Getting ready to make a very large bon fire!

All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Last edited by JoeyGirl; 02-28-2009 at 06:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 10:14 PM

cam senser?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 01:18 AM

diagnostic questions:

temp difference between your place and the shop?, kept inside or out side and did shop do the same?

does shop specialize in powerstrokes?

these trucks have two oil pumps: a low pressure pump for engine lubrication and a high pressure oil pump pump (hpop) for hydraulic pressure amplification thats done by the fuel injectors. the hpop system is crytical to engine operation.
we dont want to assume here, which oil pump was replaced, lube or hpop?

what happened to the wiring, mechanincaly damaged? shorted? heat damage?

Thoughts:
the colors and timing of smoke indicate sufficient fuel at startup.

Throttle increases injector fueling, but a mal-functioning hpop system would not produce the very high pressure required for good fuel atomization at the injector nozzles.

additionally i would recomend a fuel pressure gauge be connected and watched, if fuel pressure drops off rapidly with stall, i woul take a second look at fuel system.

if fuel pressure drops off with throttle application, then theres a diagnostic path to follow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-27-2009, 05:06 PM

My Photos: (1)
I had the same thing, ford has a recal for the cam position sensor. They have also lowered the price of them. Call the stealler to see if yours is covered, it only takes them a minit to change it and they may not charge ya.

if they changed it a long time ago, it might still be the bad rev. I thinkl the new one is blue plastic and the old rev is black plastic.

Yu can see it by your harmonic ballancer.

Lief
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-28-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by robing View Post
diagnostic questions:

temp difference between your place and the shop?, kept inside or out side and did shop do the same?

does shop specialize in powerstrokes?

these trucks have two oil pumps: a low pressure pump for engine lubrication and a high pressure oil pump pump (hpop) for hydraulic pressure amplification thats done by the fuel injectors. the hpop system is crytical to engine operation.
we dont want to assume here, which oil pump was replaced, lube or hpop?

what happened to the wiring, mechanincaly damaged? shorted? heat damage?

Thoughts:
the colors and timing of smoke indicate sufficient fuel at startup.

Throttle increases injector fueling, but a mal-functioning hpop system would not produce the very high pressure required for good fuel atomization at the injector nozzles.

additionally i would recomend a fuel pressure gauge be connected and watched, if fuel pressure drops off rapidly with stall, i woul take a second look at fuel system.

if fuel pressure drops off with throttle application, then theres a diagnostic path to follow.
Same temperature as shop
I don't think he specializes in diesels, but we were referred to him by the guys at NAPA.

It was a bare wire going to the oil pressure sending unit.

It was the low pressure oil pump that was replaced. Didn't know about the second one. Where is that exactly?

We will pick up a fuel pressure gauge and try that one out too. That's really good advice...thank you! I'll let you know!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

My bad....hubby says he didn't replace any oil pumps..How do you know if they're bad?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2009, 01:32 PM

The HPOP is near the front of the engine, on top. There's an oil reservoir for the HPOP that sits right above it. I don't know of any good way to check the HPOP pressure without special equipment, but there's a FAQ that thows how to check the clearances under the FAQ section (but you have to take it off the truck first). You can get into the HPOP reservior to check the oil level with a 1/4" drive rachet (no socket... there's just a square on top of the bolt). Clean around the bolt first, as any debris could clog the edge filter inside the HPOP.
One thing you might try is to disconnect the high pressure oil pressure sensor. Not sure what it's called, but it's on the driver's side engine head toward the front of the engine. I think it throws an engine code, but it will use a default value for the high pressure oil. My thought is that if the sensor is reading an oil pressure that's too low, it could lengthen the injector pulses to try to compensate, and dump too much fuel.
Take this with a grain of salt... I'm fairly new to Powerstrokes, but learning a lot trying to get mine running. Read thru the FAQs and bulletins from Ford, they're really informative. If you need pictures of where this stuff is, let me know and I'll snap some in a few days when I return home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in