AE Help with Diagnostic - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AE Help with Diagnostic

So I've been out of the diesel scene for a while. So long I had to make a new logging for the site. I'm trying to run down a loss of power, high frequency miss and excessive blue smoke issue.

Last summer I changed out my injector O-rings on my original injectors. They were notably worn in places. I also changed out one of the connectors hat connect to the uvch this was on the outside. Ran good but started to once again smoke more than in the past. Significant blue smoke on cold start up (plugged in), it will clear up with highway driving but any stationary idling it comes back an is very acrid.

Recently I have noticed a very high frequency miss/vibration that is rpm related. This comes about after the truck has been ran a while and is warm. It appears that overall power is decreased also but not dramatic. More noticeably at highway speeds.

I got the AE scanner and am just starting to mess with it. Buzz test sounds all injectors but there are a couple that are not the same tone as the rest. It appears with these trucks that there is a high and low buzz test but that is conflictive with other information.

I can unplug the ICP and the % goes from 11.2 to 14.4, the pressure goes from 581 to 724. This is at idle with oil at 174f. This appears to be what is expected with a functioning ICP and IPR.

I am curious to know what would I expect to see with my data when a IPR has failing O-rings? I'm assuming a lower pressure and higher duty cycles beyond the norm?

My thought is I am in need of new injectors but want to verify the other related components are working properly prior to this and possibly see if the issue isn't a injector problem.

I'm also interested in any internet resources on the use of the AE. A one stop shop possibly. I've been searching all of the sites and leaning a lot but would like to find something a little more organized as it pertains to the OBS trucks. thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

I don't know why my signature isn't showing up on my post but it's a1995 with 190k all stock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1995 F250 PS. Stock with 190k. Auto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Garage
CornRickey, I can't help with the AE question , but your signature is in place on my screen.

03 F250 4x4 CC 7.3ltr 4R100HD rebuilt, 160,000 Klms
GTP38R , Turbo-master , IH Bellowed up pipes, RiffRaff CAC boot kit, AIH delete, .
4" Turbo back exhaust ,Banks power elbow, LPG (Gas over diesel) DP F6 tuner, 40hp tow, 60hp tow, 80hp tow, 60hp, 80hp, 120hp race, Decel, 1200 RPM.
RiffRaff 6637 intake ,pre filter, Snorkle
Custom made trans cooler with twin thermo fans ,water to oil cooler
Scangauge 11,AutoMeter Trans temp, pyro ,Water/Oil temp, Fuel Pressure, Boost.
Longrange 120 ltr fuel tank and transfer pump, 15,000 lb winch, Warn winch bar, Lightforce HID spot lights, HID headlights, Black Widow Drawer System, Snugtop Canopy with gull windows, Fr & Rr ARB Diff locks, Hornblaster Train horns, Post fuel pump filter, RiffRaff FRx and HPx , Bilsteins x4, Onboard compressor , Air tank and water traps, Billet door handles, Alpine headset, Alpine overhead DVD player, Rockford Fosgate sub, Alpine amp and CD changer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 06:56 PM
RT

There is only one buzz test. There is a general correlation between poppet clearance and the pitch / loudness of the buzzing injector. If you have some that sound muffled, they are probably worn out. You can confirm this with a feeler gauge - http://www.dieselpro.ca/Poppet%20Valve.pdf

If the IPR had bad O-rings, you would expect (as you mentioned) higher IPR duty cycle to maintain a given IC pressure.

You might have an issue with an injector o-ring. This will allow oil to be forced into the fuel rail where it will be burned. This can cause the blue smoke at idle you see. The smoke generally will clear at higher RPM partly due to your engine's ability to burn oil (they are called oil burners after all) and partially due to the increased dilution caused by higher fuel use. Alternatively, you could have an injector that has a very poor spray pattern causing unburned fuel at idle. Smoke color is sometimes hard to distinguish in this weather. Either way, the best thing you could do is pull your injectors and send them to Full Force for a flow test. Flow testing service 8 Injectors

Ken did a great AE write-up if you are interested: https://sites.google.com/site/woodnt.../autoenginuity

2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM, Full Force Stage 1 injectors

IF MY BODY IS EVER FOUND ON A JOGGING TRAIL JUST KNOW THAT I WAS MURDERED SOMEWHERE ELSE AND DUMPED THERE
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

I spent the day pulling vavle covers, checking harness, gp's and armatures. Found one bad gp, one bad connector and so far the passenger side bank is no better than .0025. After I got that side back together I fired it up from cold. It took about 2 minutes to have noticeable oil coming out of the spigots. I know it was just dooling down the side so you couldn't see it. Still need to do the drivers but unless anyone has other ideas I think I'm due for some injectors.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:29 PM

My Photos: (1)
What's your oil like?
You said you've been out of diesel scene.Has this truck been sitting long?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Oil is less than a year old with maybe 2k on it. I just haven't been focusing on the truck over the last couple years. Nite it's time to get it squared away for this summer.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 08:54 PM

Like Rt. Said about one test and a need for a uniform sound.
You told me about mileage.What about how long it has sat.If it's been awhile try bringing the oil up to temp and run it at 3000rmp for a good while and see what you have.
You may need injectors but IDE try that first.Then IDE move to testing for oring leakage.
Did you lube the rings before you put them in?Did you check the new copper washer right before you put the injector in?did you use a torque wrench when you installed them?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Yea, I'm confident with the oring job. I guess there could always be a nicked oring but this issue was happening at some levelprior to the oring job. I actually expected to see a burnt harness today. I've driven the truck at least once a month. The truck hasn't sat for a year. I haven't done anything beyond maintenance with it. I'm not seeing any seepage from the base of the injectors. Other than looking for that I'm not aware of any other "oring" check. There isn't any oil in the fuel bowl or fuel in the oil that I can tell.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:26 PM

You can pressurize the oil rail with compressed air and listen
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Thoughts on the armature spacing? .0025 was tight for most. One I could get a .0030 in the top of it bit not the bottom. From what I've read .0016-.0020 is the cut off. One pdf I read said.0040. It appears if this is the case a oring issue would be irrelevant. Thoughts

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in