Bad Fuel? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2006, 10:30 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad Fuel?

I just bought my 96' PSD (first diesel), Truck ran excellent until I switched to my rear gas tank. now the dang thing starts, but will die within a minute. Then just dies right after starting, after about 15 minutes it will finally idle without dying(seems to run after the engine temp reaches normal. If I plug in the block heater (it only gets down to about 40 degrees overnight)Then I am able to rev it after first start, If I don't plug the blockheater in it will die no matter how much I rev if it has been sitting for at least 8 hours.Could it be bad fuel, sediment in the rear tank, or fuel leak. Please help I'm pulling out my hair!! Sorry the post is so long

2002 PSD, mostly stock (for now) Authentic Tymar intake,3x4 mandrel bend downpipe, straight piped tip to tip. America was built by God and for God... take Him out of America and watch the cookie crumble!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 12:32 PM

My Photos: (28)
Re: Bad Fuel?

The question is, did switching tanks *cause* the problem, or was it that you noticed a problem after the switch. Hard to tell, but if you assume the first there are a few thing you can try. Fill your empty tank (I would add some Stanydine), drain your fuel bowl, change your fuel filter after inspecting the bowl, clean the regulator screen, then switch to the new fuel and fire her up. If this resolves your problem you can drain the old tank, or run the bad tank for 5 minutes every 30 minutes or so until it is empty. It could have stuff growing in it, have water, or who knows what...I would drain it out and when I filled the tank again I would use an additive for a while to help clean it out. Most likely it is a fuel filter problem though. Hope that gives you a little to work with.

'99 F350 XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, auto, 4.10 rear, 4" Stainless Steel MBRP turbo back exhaust, TYMAR air intake, EDGE CTS Programmer with electronic Gauges, SprayIn Liner, Bilstein Shocks, Red Head Steering Box.

2008 F32SB2 Cardinal Cameo 5er. PullRite Super 5th 18K ISP Hitch
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2006, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Roger45,

I'll replace the fuel filter, and fill the front tank w/ diesel as this sounds like the best place to start (sure hope it's a simple fix like a plugged fuel filter) How can I determine what if anything is in the bottom of my fuel tank(is there a way to do a visual check)? Also how would I go about draining the fuel tank? Is Stanydine the additive you would reccomend, have you heard of seafoam it worked wonders on my gasoline F-150. Thanks again Roger!!

2002 PSD, mostly stock (for now) Authentic Tymar intake,3x4 mandrel bend downpipe, straight piped tip to tip. America was built by God and for God... take Him out of America and watch the cookie crumble!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 12:15 AM

My Photos: (28)

When you drain you fuel FILTER housing, you need to check the bottom of it as best you can...not the tank. There is a heater on the bottom of your filter housing that blocks a gooc view of the bottom. But if you see an black particles (like pieces of rubber) then you should remove the heater an clean the bottom. The plastic center post is screwed in backwards (and is expensive) so be carefull if you take it out. Mine came out by hand, just twist as if you think you were tightening. One out, the heater comes out after it is unplugged. Check to make sure the welds are intact on the heater, once out you will know what I mean. If there is a bunch of black junk at the bottom, it is from a blocked screen and/or rubber gasket rot from not changing the fuel filter EVERY 10K at a minimum.

By the way, did the old tank fill up change any of the symptoms? If so, you may want to drain the other tank. I went to SMUCKS and got one of there syphin hoses and drained my tank of almost 19 galloons and just had fumes left. That should do...just a waste of fuel.

I by Stanydine from Dale Isley @ Tymar and it is great. I live in Alaska and it is expensive and hard to find here. I really notice a difference with it.

In general, I try to keep my tanks full. Run one empty, then switch to the second tank, and fill the first one back up. Fuel in Alaska tends to be some of the worst on the planet from what I hear, so I am always *changing* out the fuel in each tank. The front is far easier to fill, but I still use both. Hope that helps.

'99 F350 XLT, SC, LB, 4x4, auto, 4.10 rear, 4" Stainless Steel MBRP turbo back exhaust, TYMAR air intake, EDGE CTS Programmer with electronic Gauges, SprayIn Liner, Bilstein Shocks, Red Head Steering Box.

2008 F32SB2 Cardinal Cameo 5er. PullRite Super 5th 18K ISP Hitch
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 02:16 AM

Aloha 96PoStDi-
I think Roger45 has given great advice here as I have gone through a little of this when I bought my first diesel here a few months ago. Even though the owner before me started the vehicle once a week it sat in the same place for probably 4 months due to a bad torque convertor. This being said I think the fuel system maybe had some type of growth in it as I was having issues too. I was using the lucas additive and did not really see any benefit and was told to stop using it. I started using the Stanadyne fuel additive the past couple of weeks and let me say that is the way to go! Here is an information link for you:
Stanadyne Diesel Additive

Hope this helps! Good Luck.
Mahalo,
Kyle

'96 F250 XLT, 4WD, Ext Cab, 4.10, D60, RSK with SD Springs, Bilsteins, ATO Performance Transmission E4OD, Heavy Duty Transmission Cooler, Tymar Intake, Tymar 3x4 DP, Tymar Coolant Filter, non-EBP pedestal, FS2500 Bypass Filter, USA Made Powermaster Denso 9051 Starter!...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-17-2006, 11:06 PM

Maybe the switch is NOT moving and getting stuck between posistions, also maybe there is a crack in the fuel line that goes to the rear tank. MHO [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

95 F250,XLT, 4WD, Auto Trans,bbshimmed,synthetic trans oil,4:10 gears ,Truck Trunk ,Nerf Bars ,crome Mud flaps, Aux. trans cooler, front diff. drain plug. External trans.filter, trimmed snorkel. American wheels water temp guage, front fuel tank mod,Warn Manual hubs,Putman class 4 hitch 212k mi.
Currently also have 2012 Dodge 4X4 with a Cummins engine.

It is said if you sit by the river and watch the water flow by long enough, your enemies will pass by. This I believe to be true. It is also possible to watch your loved ones pass by as well.
Wife Candi 08/14/07 missing her always
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help guys, I finally have a day off from work so I'm givin her an oil change, new fuel filter (good call roger there was a layer of black gunk in the bottom of the fuel filter housing), I'm going to visually check each fuel line, and lastly I'm going to get some of this Stanadyne stuff. Thanks again Roger45, DABOSS, and Gone Fishen!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in