Bad starter? Batt Cables?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bad starter? Batt Cables??

This makes me feel dumb.

I had one bad battery - one good battery. I replaced the bad batt with a good one but it didn't make a difference in starting.

Has over 12V just sitting there, cranking it gets down to near 10V. Keep cranking a bit and it drops into the high 9s.

But it sounds like the batteries aren't keeping up. Seriously sounds like batteries that can't handle a load.

So I put in two new Motorcraft batts as a test. Same problem.

Could this be a bad starter? It's only 8 months old - from ebay.

Is it possible to have a problem with the cables?

This is getting ridiculous. Is it possible there was a problem with the install?

Well loved
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, New 4.10s (PRECISION GEAR), Truetrac (DETROIT LOCKER), Hubs (WARN), 4"/7" lift (SKYJACKER), 35x12.50 (PRO-COMP), 100 Gallon VO Tank (greasel.com), Dominator 66 Turbo, Stage 1 Injectors, 6 Position (BDP), Clutch (LuK), 6.0 Intercooler (4WP Dumpster), DP & Guages (SCHEID DIESEL), 4" exhaust - properly loud (BD-POWER), 203' Tstat (dieselsite.com), Prerunner bar (N-FAB), DIY Electric Fuel, Raptor-150 Pump, HID headlamps, spots, and fogs, 225000 (s)miles,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 2002 HPOP not installed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:11 AM

have you cleaned both ends of all the batt cables, see what the volt drop is from the batts to the starter.

F350, CrewCab, 7.3 PSD Dyno at 390 HP, zf5, 3 in Down pipe with 5in straight pipe with stack, Tymar, DDP stage 2 injectors, Intercooled, Stole it at $2500! 400000miles! Going for 1/2 million

L8000 Dump Truck, 7.8L , 6 speed Fuller, 315000miles

F350, 24v 5.9 Cummins, New Nv4500, Np205, JD green paint "Built Not Bought" 0 miles,
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 03:02 AM

My Photos: (9)
also check the condition of the ground cables to the block. High resistance will lower the current.

PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Cable ends at the batteries are OK. Havent checked the other end of the cables.

When you say check the "condition" of the cables, how can I check more than the visible ends?

Well loved
, New 4.10s (PRECISION GEAR), Truetrac (DETROIT LOCKER), Hubs (WARN), 4"/7" lift (SKYJACKER), 35x12.50 (PRO-COMP), 100 Gallon VO Tank (greasel.com), Dominator 66 Turbo, Stage 1 Injectors, 6 Position (BDP), Clutch (LuK), 6.0 Intercooler (4WP Dumpster), DP & Guages (SCHEID DIESEL), 4" exhaust - properly loud (BD-POWER), 203' Tstat (dieselsite.com), Prerunner bar (N-FAB), DIY Electric Fuel, Raptor-150 Pump, HID headlamps, spots, and fogs, 225000 (s)miles,
, 2002 HPOP not installed
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:17 PM

My Photos: (2)
When I first bought my truck they had just put new batts in it. It didn't seem like it cranked very fast though. I put a voltmeter directly on the battery post when the engine was running and sure enough one battery was reading 14+ volts and the other was reading 12.5. The problem was a dirty connection. Make sure the inside of the terminals are very clean (they sell a little wire brush tool that is made to clean both the cable and the post). Cleaned the terminals and cranks much nicer now.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 12:05 AM

My Photos: (21)
One trick I like is use a clamp-on ammeter on each battery ground while cranking. That tells you which battery (or its cabling) is not puling its weight.

93 W250 6BTA/5spd/D60/D80/3.54/Lockright/HX35/5x.012inj/4" pipe
90 D250 6BT/5spd/D70/3.54/powr-lok
84 Ramcharger (Receiving '90 D250 cummins)

Marine Engines I mess with:
Mitsubishi S6U, S6R, 6D14; Mirrlees National KVSSM; DDC/MTU 12V2000; Cat 353, 398, 3306, 3406
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 08:58 AM

Make sure the connections are good from the batteries clear down and including the starter. These engines require massive amounts of amperage to roll good and it has to flow with very little restriction. One other thing is check that the battery terminals are actually tight, they can appear tight but sometimes they're not like -----> C but more like ------> O this happened to me and caused a lot of head scratching until I spread the terminal apart and filed the two inside surfaces down then they would tighten down all the way.
One other thing that can cause grief is that darn solinoid. If the internal brass bar becomes pitted it won't make good contact when it pulls in.

1997 F-350 4X4 PSD, 5 speed, SRW, 210K Rides like a bull ~ purrs like a kitten.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in