Ball Joints, U Joints anything else? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ball Joints, U Joints anything else?

Hello all. Both my upper ball joints are shot in my 96 f250 4x4. Can these be replaced without removed the lowers? Should bearings be done at this time? I may replace all but money is tight at the moment. I also need to replace the driverside front axle u-joint. Can anyone tell me what all parts / tools i will need for this job? (I have been searching for how to's etc.. but still not positive what all i need as far as seals etc..)
Thanks!

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hub: 321,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-18-2018, 02:22 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
The lower ball joint needs to come out before you can remove the upper, so you might as well replace both. They're likely worn out as well. Depending on mileage and condition when you remove them, your wheel bearings are likely OK. Just clean, repack with grease and reinstall.

You'll need a ball joint press and the appropriate adapters. You can probably get those from your local auto parts store. Most will loan them to you with a deposit that's refunded on return.

The parts store should be able to help you on seals as well. Unless the differential seal is currently leaking, leave that alone. The differential carrier needs to come out to replace the diff seals. There should be a dust seal just inboard of the u-joint, which should be replaced, as well as the seal outboard of the u-joint. Also the wheel bearing seal that goes on the inner side of the hub after the inner bearings are installed.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Last edited by klhansen; 08-18-2018 at 02:27 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2018, 08:49 AM

My Photos: (2)
If you are that far in, take a good look at the brake rotors. I know you say money is tight and I've been there, but if you can swing it, I'd at least throw rotors at it if they look close to needing replaced.
AaronSEIA

My Truck:

97 F250 4 door shortbed, E4OD
DIY intake
Kingpin Dana 60
otherwise stock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-21-2018, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
The lower ball joint needs to come out before you can remove the upper, so you might as well replace both. They're likely worn out as well. Depending on mileage and condition when you remove them, your wheel bearings are likely OK. Just clean, repack with grease and reinstall.

You'll need a ball joint press and the appropriate adapters. You can probably get those from your local auto parts store. Most will loan them to you with a deposit that's refunded on return.

The parts store should be able to help you on seals as well. Unless the differential seal is currently leaking, leave that alone. The differential carrier needs to come out to replace the diff seals. There should be a dust seal just inboard of the u-joint, which should be replaced, as well as the seal outboard of the u-joint. Also the wheel bearing seal that goes on the inner side of the hub after the inner bearings are installed.

Thanks for the info. It looked like the lower had to come out before doing the upper.

Hope i can get this all done in a day.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hub: 321,000 miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in