Break-in Procedure?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2014, 08:10 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Break-in Procedure??

Hello PS enthusiasts!

I have a fairly simple question to ask but don't know if it is necessary or not. I am currently rebuilding my 96 7.3L with 257K miles from a failed piston, #5, which came apart in one of the ring grooves w/o breaking any rings. Luckily, I caught it before it scored the cylinder. I have bored the block 0.020 over, replacing all pistons, rings, main and rod bearings, polished the crankshaft, new seals all around, new reman heads from Ford (old ones had bad carbon pits on the exhaust valves), new oil pump (low pressure), and new injectors from Pensacola Diesel. I am not sure whether I need to follow a break-in procedure for the motor or not? Also, what would be a typical break-in procedure if I do need to follow one?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

96' F-250 4X4 Supercab 7.3L stock on 37x12.50 goodyear wrangler mt military tires, 5 spd, 4" straight piped, 6" suspension lift, Dana 60 conversion, 4.10 gears, custom bumpers, 12000 lbs. Badlands winch

Last edited by sumter_f-250; 03-24-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 09:10 AM

Yes, I'd break it in. No excessive idling, no bursts of high RPM on a cold engine, but as the run time adds up you can run up to higher RPM's more frequently, followed by coasting back to normal speed and cooling off, no long distance constant speed drives,

You have new pistons running in freshly machined bores, and new main/rod bearings running on a fresh crankshaft, I'd run 1000-1200 miles on the first oil change, then change oil/filter, then run your typical 3000-5000 miles intervals.

Denny
'96 F-250 Reg. Cab 4X4 5-sp POWERSTROKE
298,500 mi & NO Problems, LUK Clutch
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2014, 02:59 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
With the cylinders bored out, you should keep an extra close eye on the anti-cavitation additive in your coolant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

What does the anti-cavitation additive do that I have to watch for?

96' F-250 4X4 Supercab 7.3L stock on 37x12.50 goodyear wrangler mt military tires, 5 spd, 4" straight piped, 6" suspension lift, Dana 60 conversion, 4.10 gears, custom bumpers, 12000 lbs. Badlands winch
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 02:30 PM

Cavitation in a 7.3L PSD is where the cylinder walls actually move in & out due to the force of the compresssion pressure as the engine runs. A thinnner cyl. wall will deflect mre than a thicker cyl wall. The cavitation, meaning bubbling of the hot coolant from low pressure but high temp areas occurs from a single point where the temp is the highest and pressure the lowest, and can erode right through the cylinder wall. The supplimental coolant additive has chemicals that coat the cylinders and erodes instead of the iron. You really can't "Inspect" how they're working, just buy some test strips and check the concentration of the SCA's regularly to make sure they're strong enough.

Denny
'96 F-250 Reg. Cab 4X4 5-sp POWERSTROKE
298,500 mi & NO Problems, LUK Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in