Broken 4x4 Shifter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Broken 4x4 Shifter

Group

i broke my 97 PSD shifter for the Transfer case, Broke the cheap
metal shifter at the pivot point.. ANyway its out and i see it
just bolts to a bracket on the side of the tranny.
Can i use a shifter from a 92-96 F-150/250 with 4x4 for the shifter?
Or if I have to goto Ford, is there a part # for this?

2001 Ford Excursion PSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 10:51 AM

My Photos: (3)
Re: Broken 4x4 Shifter

I think you will find that all the transfer case shifters are the same for the years you mentioned, as long as it has the same transfer case.
Tim

"Better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you're not." - Van Zant
My Truck 1972 F-350 4x4 Extended cab 14-36 Swampers, 97 Powerstroke, 4 position chip with custom tunes, 3" downpipe, 5" exhaust, 99 intercooler, DIY E-fuel, Dana 60 front, 70 rear, lockers in both ends.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wifes' Grocery Getter 99 F-250 SD 4x4 XLT Lariat 4 door. 7.3, Auto, 4 pos Bullydog chip, 3 1/2" downpipe, 5" straightpipe, Genuine Tymar, Stage 1 Monsterbox, 33-12.50-16.5's
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 11:20 AM

My Photos: (4)

You broke it???

Man, how much force were ya putting on that.

I know mine is a pretty good chunk of metal.

Almost impossible to bend unless ya heat it up (had to bend it for body lift)

I would check the junk yards first as I am sure they probably have a few [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

BUT, I will see if I can find a part # for ya [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Kevin "BigK" Neal

972-768-7252

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 PM

I bought my truck with it already broken. Wabash Ford in Indianapolis is a GREAT place to get parts.[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Call in the evening ~7:00 Indianapolis time, there's only one guy there and he is VERY NICE when it comes to price,:EDIT: Chris I think is his name.:EDIT I think I paid 150-180 for mine,:EDIT: P/N F6TZ*7210*HA:EDIT:. I had it installed at the same time alignment was done, mechanic stared at me when he got it off. "Remind me never to make you mad!" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img][img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

The bolt that hold the pivot to the xfer case had seized. It took a lot of penetrant and a large "persuader" to pound out the bolt. There is a plastic sleeve around the bolt, inside the aluminum piece, that does not come with the new part, so don't break it.
A wire wheel applied to the bolt will clean off most of the corrosion, apply a generous amount of brake silicon to the rotating parts and reassemble.
You'll probably have to take the bracket off the xfer case to get the large bolt started. Bolt the bracket back up, THEN tighten the large pivot bolt.
Happy 4X4 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Daniel

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 04:03 PM

My Photos: (33)

I am doing a 4X4 conversion to mine so if anyone finds an extra shifter setup with the brackets and linkage let me know as i need one.

thanks

brandn

2015 F250 Platinum CC SB

(Sold)2013 F250 Platinum CC SB
(Sold)1996 F-250 CC SB 4X4, 7" lift, D-60 conversion, superduty springs front and rear, 37x13.50x17 xtreme all terrains, tymar intake, mbrp 4" exhaust, 6 pos wildman chip.

"To get the things you have never had before, you have to do things you have never done before." ~Henry Ford~
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2006, 08:27 PM

I broke the bracket on my truck about two months because it had seized to the mounting bolt on the transfer case. The shifter part is made of aluminum. So once you get it off take it to a welding shop and have them weld it. I had to give the steel mounting bolt a few love taps to get it out of the bracket. Once I got the bolt and plastic sleeve out I used a round file to slightly increase the size of the hole. After I got it welded I coated both sides of the plastic sleeve with grease. Seems to work fine. Just make sure you have everything cleaned up and the bracket clamped together before taking it to the welding shop. I used a couple pair of vise grips and a small piece of flat steel to hold it straight for welding. Good luck.

sam

2001, F350, CC, PSD, DRW, Auto, 4WD, BD Exhaust Brake, DP Tuner, Tymar, 4:10s, 4" exhaust

1997 F350, CC, PSD, Auto, 4WD, SRW, 4:10s, Chip, Tymar, 3" Down Pipe, 4" Exhaust, Pillar Mount w/Boost, Pyro, Trans
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-19-2006, 07:26 AM

My Photos: (5)

MY '97 was broken when I bought it. I still had my '88 at that time, and the transfer case and trans looked identical. The '88 had the simpler linkage, no "push down for low" like the '97 with that big metal casting in there... I found one like the '88 had in it on ebay, bought the whole shifter assembly... I had to make a shorter link from the shifter to the T case, just a piece of flat steel and a couple holes took care of that. Been working fine since.

Belleville, MI (Detroit / Ann Arbor)
'01 F350 cc lwb srw, Rebuilt engine, Rosewood rebuilt injectors, rebuilt turbo, soon to have 3.5"dp and 4" magnaflow exhaust, gauges, etc.
'69 Mustang 428CJ(ongoing project)
'86 Ranger 302/aod/8.8
'02 Focus wagon commuter
'86 Supra classic ski boat 351W PCM power
'54 Belair sedan, all original
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in