california model: split shots? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
california model: split shots?

my 96 from what i've been told could have split shot injecters. does anyone know how to read the vin# to find out if i have a CA model? my truck came from out west im just not sure if it was as far west as CA.

<span style="color: #000099"> 96 F-250 CREWCAB POWERSTROKE... Stage 1 injectors... 6 position Tony Wildman chip: stock, economy, daily, tow, hot tow, & Luke Cline Extreme... Superduty IDM mod... Tymar intake... Tymar 3"X4" down pipe... Tymar 4" exhaust... Tymar high pressure oil crossover... 6.0 intercooler-PIPES thanks to GTS... CCV mod... V10 transmission cooler... 203* thermostat... shimmed FPR... gutted EBPV... Monster Box trans... 4.10s... Dana 60 front... LS rear w/ extra qt and a half diff cover... three gauge pod full of Autometer's... AIC... Turbo pedestal mod by Rick96F250 and a 3/8inch shorter bolt on the rear passenger side of the pedestal... Nippondenso starter... THINGS TO DO: get a big turbo, big oil, and big fuel... RSK with SD springs.</span>

<span style="color: #CC0000"> #26</span>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:27 PM

My Photos: (203)
Re: california model: split shots?

blackcloud -- The easiest way to tell if you have a California emissions truck is by the PCM calibration code. There is no way just by looking at the VIN to determine if the truck came from California. If there is a DSO code on the Vehicle Certification Label, that may help narrow it down.

Cheers from Orlando, FL! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Dave

1996 F-350 XLT CC SRW 4x4
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-E4OD●4L10●Tyrant Diesel chip●Hypermax H2E, intercooler, exhaust●TE-T500●7.3L Regulated Return Fuel System●215 amp generator●International water pump●Hydro-Boost●APCM
250,000 happy miles
DZLJIM 3:16
~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Hold my beer and watch this.~~
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

what is the dso code and where is the certification label? are you talking about the catylist label? sorry if this is a dumb question but i really dont know!!

<span style="color: #000099"> 96 F-250 CREWCAB POWERSTROKE... Stage 1 injectors... 6 position Tony Wildman chip: stock, economy, daily, tow, hot tow, & Luke Cline Extreme... Superduty IDM mod... Tymar intake... Tymar 3"X4" down pipe... Tymar 4" exhaust... Tymar high pressure oil crossover... 6.0 intercooler-PIPES thanks to GTS... CCV mod... V10 transmission cooler... 203* thermostat... shimmed FPR... gutted EBPV... Monster Box trans... 4.10s... Dana 60 front... LS rear w/ extra qt and a half diff cover... three gauge pod full of Autometer's... AIC... Turbo pedestal mod by Rick96F250 and a 3/8inch shorter bolt on the rear passenger side of the pedestal... Nippondenso starter... THINGS TO DO: get a big turbo, big oil, and big fuel... RSK with SD springs.</span>

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:37 PM

May sound kinda dumb, but I was told that the CA models were the only ones that had the power mirrors on our trucks. I've also heard them referred to as the "California Mirrors". I also know that you can definately tell the CA model by looking at the fuel pump, and if you have the Bosch Fuel Dampner behind your fuel pump preventing you from replacing the fuel pump without removing the turbo and the pedestal, then you have a CA model. Supposedly the CA models were the only ones with the BOSCH dampner.

1997 F250 HD 7.3L PSD E40D 4X4 ; Dana 60 Conversion, 4" Superlift Suspension, ProComp ES9000 Shocks, Skyjacker Steering Stab.,Energy Suspension Poly Shackle & Track Bar Bushings, DIY Baldwin open element intake, 285/75 R16 Yokohama Geolanders,,15w40 Rotella T, Valvoline Maxlife Mercron ATF, Power Services Diesel Kleen (cetane +6), Midland 77-120 CB w/ Firestik FL2 4' Antenna. 1900RPM @ 70MPH. 197000 miles
Truck Birth-Month : October, 1997

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 07:40 PM Thread Starter

well i have the power mirrors and will have to check for the fuel dampener. thanks

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 08:18 PM

My Photos: (203)

blackcloud -- The Vehicle Certification Label is on the drivers side door; it is the big sticker that has the VIN, axle code, paint code, etc. If there is a DSO code, it would be on the right side of the sticker.

97F250PSD4X4 -- I forgot all about the fuel damper on the California trucks; good call! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Fuel Damper, California Vehicles Only
The fuel damper is located behind the fuel pump and is incorporated to control fuel pulsing.

Fuel Pulse Damper, California Vehicles Only
1 - Fuel Pump Damper (California Only)
2 - Fuel Pump
3 - Fuel Supply Line
4 - Banjo Bolt
5 - Turbo Pedestal O-Ring Seal

Cheers from Orlando, FL! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Dave
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 11:11 PM

non cal trucks also could have the power mirror option. Mine does and its not a cal truck.

96' F350 4X4. E4OD tranny running Amsoil synthetic, 1 big tranny cooler and tricumulator springs and accumulator valve. Autometer guages, homemade intake, TS 6 position Chip (tuning by
, Factory AIC, A/C mod, MBRP 4" Exaust, BDP Stage I injectors, Brakesmart trailer brake controller, T/C lockup switch
Soon to be installed: Innercooler (sittin at the shop), Big Oil, Built Tranny, Coolant Filter, HX hose, and some others. 350k miles.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 02:40 PM

Personally, I don't believe that the 96 Calif. trucks had the split shot injectors. As to if it was sold in Calif. go to carfax.com and enter the VIN number. Not sure of the cost but you can find out known history of the vehicle including date and where sold.

97 F350 XLT, PSD CC, DRW, E40D w/Banks Transcommand, 4:10, K&N Filter, Pyro,Trans,Boost Gauges, BD Exhaust Brake, Turbo Down Pipe
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 03:44 PM

splits came out in 96.5

96' F350 4X4. E4OD tranny running Amsoil synthetic, 1 big tranny cooler and tricumulator springs and accumulator valve. Autometer guages, homemade intake, TS 6 position Chip (tuning by
, Factory AIC, A/C mod, MBRP 4" Exaust, BDP Stage I injectors, Brakesmart trailer brake controller, T/C lockup switch
Soon to be installed: Innercooler (sittin at the shop), Big Oil, Built Tranny, Coolant Filter, HX hose, and some others. 350k miles.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks everyone it doesnt have a dso code so no splitshots!

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 07:33 PM

Post deleted by JLester

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 07:46 PM

My Photos: (11)

That is ugly. I think I will try to make some inline pulse dampeners to put on each head to fix the pulse problem.

Greg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
96 F250XLT,SC, PSD Hooked to a BTS Tranny, LWB 4x4 (4.10s), D60 Straight axle conversion, Isspro Triple A-pillar Guage Pack, Mag-HyTec Axle Cover and a few others.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 07:56 PM

Post deleted by JLester

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 07:59 PM

My Photos: (11)

I apreciate the offer and I will keep it in mind but I dont know if it will be worth taking the turbo off to put it in or did I hear wrong about that??

I also will have to totally revamp the fuel system to an electric pump if I go with the BDS stealth pump. Gotta save up a lot of coin before I do that though. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Greg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
96 F250XLT,SC, PSD Hooked to a BTS Tranny, LWB 4x4 (4.10s), D60 Straight axle conversion, Isspro Triple A-pillar Guage Pack, Mag-HyTec Axle Cover and a few others.

post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 09-07-2005, 08:03 PM

Post deleted by JLester

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in