Change in rpms at speed - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Change in rpms at speed

Ok guys I have a 97 f250 7.3 with 143k fairly stock. I changed my fuel filter the other day. Now I’m running 2500rpm at 60mph where I use to run 60 at 2000rpm motor doesn’t sound strained. But does seem to lack power on low end. If I run 70 it’s almost up to 3000 rpm. What have I messed up here. I am running a wix fuel filter should I go back to motorcraft. Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:29 PM

My Photos: (19)
I'm assuming its an automatic? Is OverDrive off for some reason? Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Yes it is automatic and 4x4. It seems to be going into overdrive cause if I shut it off it downshifts normal. Is it possible for the tach to be reading incorrectly. I have considered changing my fuel filter to a motorcraft filter. Cause for whatever reason I noticed this after changing my fuel filter. I currently have a wix filter in. Also wonder if my torque converter isn’t trying to slip while in overdrive. I checked my trans fluid it looks like it wouldn’t hurt to change it either. Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 06:45 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Get the codes read. The places that read codes free CANNOT read the codes that are probably stored in your computer. You need either a Forscan, or a good independent shop, or a Ford dealer to read these.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Can the transmission have codes stored without the CEL on cause at the moment it’s not on.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Anyways like I said I don’t have any check engine lights on. Today I serviced the trans and drained the TC also. Took it for a drive still the same it shifts a little smoother with the new fluid.

Could it be sucking air from where I just changed my fuel filter. I know some guys report having problems with the one piece wix style filter instead of using motorcraft anyways. Next week I’ll change my fuel filter out to motorcraft just to be sure it’s not the issue.

Also when I get up to 70 it’s running about 2800rpm not quite 3000 like I previously stated. Seems to be shifting smooth.

Is it possible my tach is took a crap. And reading wrong.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 07:57 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Can the transmission have codes stored without the CEL on cause at the moment its not on.
Only a few transmission codes will light the CEL. Most transmission codes will not light the CEL.

Mark
Former
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Can the transmission have codes stored without the CEL on...
Yes.
Quote:
Could it be sucking air from where I just changed my fuel filter.
Anything's possible, but that would have no effect on RPMs.
Quote:
Is it possible my tach is took a crap. And reading wrong.
Possible - not likely. To find out, use your phone GPS (Google Maps/Navigation) to get the actual speed, and back-calculate the RPM using the tires' RevsPerMile, the rear axle ration (RAR), & the transmission ratio (1:1 if in D; or the O/D ratio from this caption):

(phone app link)

If it's slightly off from the tach, the most-likely reason is that the TCC is not in lockup.

(phone app link)

This caption explains how to calibrate the PSOM:

(phone app link)

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

So I’m pretty sure my transmission isn’t the problem. After flushing the trans I found my third brake light was also out. I fixed it also. Then yesterday morning on my way to work the tach started working normal again however today while driving it was still normal. I watched it when it messed up again. I was driving down the highway at 70 and it was reading about 2250 roughly. It suddenly jumped to bout 2800. I’ve checked to see it’s shifting through all the gears and if I hold a steady speed and tap the brakes u can feel the tc disengage then re engage. Is there a sensor I could check under the hood or how do I trace the wires to see if I’ve got a bad connection somewhere
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I tried to get some videos this morning. Right after I recorded the first one it started acting right so I recorded it also. However I can’t figure out how to post a video
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:09 PM

Read this thread up to my post in it (the ones after are mostly spam):
How do I post pictures, sounds, and or videos? | SuperMotors.net Forums | SuperMotors.net

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

https://youtu.be/8LHieo1nlxA https://youtu.be/pdeGmxZjo3Y here ya go guys I posted to YouTube then copied the link. Anyways this was me driving in to work this morning. Let me know what ya think.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Ok guys so I’ve got a intermittent problem. It’s back again. From what I’m gathering it’s do to my torque converter not locking in fully or at all. Truck seems to shift fine and all brake lights work but if I tap brakes while at steady highway speed nothing happens. However I have to trailer plug connectors and just noticed one of them is not working properly. Could that be causing my problems. A short or ground in my trailer wiring. On my truck.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Found my problem I pulled my 7 way plug connector in my bed. I found a wire for that rubbed against the bed and cut the wire and had corroded. It was grounding against the bed. Cut it off and wrapped it with rape to keep wires from touching. Guess I’m rewiring my plug this weekend. Truck shifts better than has in awhile.
Mark Kovalsky likes this.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

My Photos: (19)
Always nice to figure out the problem! Thanks for posting the follow-up. Cheers!

97 F250 SC 4x4 (CA model), E4OD, 4.10 LS,
, Ext Trans Filter, Tru-Cool Max, I/C Mounted but not Plumbed

SOLD: 94 F350 CC DRW, 5 Speed, SBC Con-O,
, 3 DP, Bilsteins,
, Gutted EBPV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in