The Diesel Stop banner

Change in rpms at speed

2K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  Jbloodworth80@gmail.com 
#1 ·
Ok guys I have a 97 f250 7.3 with 143k fairly stock. I changed my fuel filter the other day. Now I’m running 2500rpm at 60mph where I use to run 60 at 2000rpm motor doesn’t sound strained. But does seem to lack power on low end. If I run 70 it’s almost up to 3000 rpm. What have I messed up here. I am running a wix fuel filter should I go back to motorcraft. Please help.

#2 ·
I'm assuming its an automatic? Is OverDrive off for some reason? Cheers!

#3 ·
Yes it is automatic and 4x4. It seems to be going into overdrive cause if I shut it off it downshifts normal. Is it possible for the tach to be reading incorrectly. I have considered changing my fuel filter to a motorcraft filter. Cause for whatever reason I noticed this after changing my fuel filter. I currently have a wix filter in. Also wonder if my torque converter isn’t trying to slip while in overdrive. I checked my trans fluid it looks like it wouldn’t hurt to change it either. Any help is greatly appreciated

#4 ·
Get the codes read. The places that read codes free CANNOT read the codes that are probably stored in your computer. You need either a Forscan, or a good independent shop, or a Ford dealer to read these.

#6 ·
Anyways like I said I don’t have any check engine lights on. Today I serviced the trans and drained the TC also. Took it for a drive still the same it shifts a little smoother with the new fluid.

Could it be sucking air from where I just changed my fuel filter. I know some guys report having problems with the one piece wix style filter instead of using motorcraft anyways. Next week I’ll change my fuel filter out to motorcraft just to be sure it’s not the issue.

Also when I get up to 70 it’s running about 2800rpm not quite 3000 like I previously stated. Seems to be shifting smooth.

Is it possible my tach is took a crap. And reading wrong.

#8 ·
Can the transmission have codes stored without the CEL on...
Yes.
Could it be sucking air from where I just changed my fuel filter.
Anything's possible, but that would have no effect on RPMs.
Is it possible my tach is took a crap. And reading wrong.
Possible - not likely. To find out, use your phone GPS (Google Maps/Navigation) to get the actual speed, and back-calculate the RPM using the tires' RevsPerMile, the rear axle ration (RAR), & the transmission ratio (1:1 if in D; or the O/D ratio from this caption):

(phone app link)

If it's slightly off from the tach, the most-likely reason is that the TCC is not in lockup.

(phone app link)

This caption explains how to calibrate the PSOM:

(phone app link)

#9 ·
So I’m pretty sure my transmission isn’t the problem. After flushing the trans I found my third brake light was also out. I fixed it also. Then yesterday morning on my way to work the tach started working normal again however today while driving it was still normal. I watched it when it messed up again. I was driving down the highway at 70 and it was reading about 2250 roughly. It suddenly jumped to bout 2800. I’ve checked to see it’s shifting through all the gears and if I hold a steady speed and tap the brakes u can feel the tc disengage then re engage. Is there a sensor I could check under the hood or how do I trace the wires to see if I’ve got a bad connection somewhere

#11 ·
#13 ·
Ok guys so I’ve got a intermittent problem. It’s back again. From what I’m gathering it’s do to my torque converter not locking in fully or at all. Truck seems to shift fine and all brake lights work but if I tap brakes while at steady highway speed nothing happens. However I have to trailer plug connectors and just noticed one of them is not working properly. Could that be causing my problems. A short or ground in my trailer wiring. On my truck.

#15 ·
Always nice to figure out the problem! Thanks for posting the follow-up. Cheers!

#16 ·
Yea im pretty certain I’ve found the problem it’s done it a few more times but it may still be shorted up where it was spliced. I’m sure that plug was installed over 20 years ago when it was new. Figure I’ll redo the whole thing to make sure it’s connected and wired right and no more surprises hiding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.