Chasing Rough Running PSD - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Chasing Rough Running PSD

I have a 97 PSD with around 75K miles that runs a little rough which is really only noticeable towing my 8000# camper. It's almost like it may be running on 7 cylinders.

Things I've done recently are; oil change, fuel filter, new IPR. None of this has made a difference. I took it in to a local diesel shop who did a cylinder contribution test and checked for any codes from the computer. These both checked out good. I know the mechanic thinks that I'm imagining this, but he also didn't have a load on it when he did his road test. Again, it is really only noticeable when the engine is being loaded.

To make matters worse, we leave later this week for Florida with the camper.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

Blocked EBPV or restricted kitty?

2011 F350 CC Lariat 6.7 4x4 Tuxedo Black Loaded* ICON 4.5 inch Stage II with 4 link and Deaver Mini-Paks * OUO 5" Traction Blocks & Bars * 20" BMF Novakanes with 37x12.50x20 Nitto Trails * ICON Dual Steering Stabilizer * RECON Projectors, Mirror, 3rd brake, Cab,and Tailights * Pace Edwards Bedlocker * EPIC Door Seal Mods * AMP Research Steps *
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 AM

My Photos: (9)
low fuel pressure?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSD,CC,LB,E4OD,4WDw4:10LS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys for the ideas.

I already unhooked the connector to the EBPV and let's just say that I know there is no restriction in the cat. I also did the FPR Shim recently, but don't actually know how much pressure I'm getting. I guess I'll need to verify it with a gauge. I assume they make gauges that can stay connected or thread onto the schrader valve? Can you get that at a parts store?

If I find the fuel pressure is low, are we just talking about a new fuel pump, or is there potentially something else? If I find the fuel pressure is OK, then what?

Thanks,
Steve
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemart View Post
I have a 97 PSD with around 75K miles that runs a little rough which is really only noticeable towing my 8000# camper. It's almost like it may be running on 7 cylinders.

Things I've done recently are; oil change, fuel filter, new IPR. None of this has made a difference. I took it in to a local diesel shop who did a cylinder contribution test and checked for any codes from the computer. These both checked out good. I know the mechanic thinks that I'm imagining this, but he also didn't have a load on it when he did his road test. Again, it is really only noticeable when the engine is being loaded.

To make matters worse, we leave later this week for Florida with the camper.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve
Steve, My '95 and my dad's 2000 are doing the same thing it sounds like. No codes and passes all tests but just isn't running right. If I pull anything other than an empty trailer, I have no power at all. Seems like I am running on a 4 cylinder. My fuel pressure is at 65PSI, no cat, and EBPV cleaned and reading fine. Both of our trucks sound the same, rough.. I think, but don't know, that the ULSD is the problem and causing premature failure of the Injector O-rings. That is my next step, changing the injectors and orings.

Last edited by RowdyOutfitters; 03-23-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: forgot a word..
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Rowdy,
We just got back from Florida last night, so this is my first chance to check the forum in about 10 days.

Sounds like our problems are similar, but I wouldn't say mine feels like a 4 cylinder, more like a 7 cylinder. It can still pull the hills in 5th gear, except for the steepest ones. But, it still is off a little. Feels like it's chugging. My wife even noticed it when we were sitting at a stoplight. The stick was shaking like mad and she made a comment. Was like that for the whole week. Then one single time on the way home at another stoplight it smoothed out for about 10 seconds, to the point where it felt like it wasn't even running. Have never felt it that smooth. Went right back to its old ways though.

I'm also thinking about changing the injector o-rings. Or, I might just sell it and go with something newer. Am thinking about a '02 or '03 with the 7.3.

Steve
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemart View Post
Rowdy,
We just got back from Florida last night, so this is my first chance to check the forum in about 10 days.

Sounds like our problems are similar, but I wouldn't say mine feels like a 4 cylinder, more like a 7 cylinder. It can still pull the hills in 5th gear, except for the steepest ones. But, it still is off a little. Feels like it's chugging. My wife even noticed it when we were sitting at a stoplight. The stick was shaking like mad and she made a comment. Was like that for the whole week. Then one single time on the way home at another stoplight it smoothed out for about 10 seconds, to the point where it felt like it wasn't even running. Have never felt it that smooth. Went right back to its old ways though.

I'm also thinking about changing the injector o-rings. Or, I might just sell it and go with something newer. Am thinking about a '02 or '03 with the 7.3.

Steve
Steve,
I am going to try changing the fuel lines from the pump to the filter with the expensive Ford ones. Right now I just have regular rubber fuel lines. They have worked before, but maybe these just are not stiff enough and are choking he engine for fuel. If that doesn't work, I am just going to change all eight injectors and say some prayers hoping it works. I will let you know. It will be next weekend at the earliest before I change the injectors.

Joe
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:46 AM Thread Starter

Joe,
One of the previous posters above suggested a low fuel pressure possibility as well. When I changed the IPR a few weeks ago, while we had the fuel bowl moved out of the way it seemed like a good time to change the flexible fuel lines too. I just went to NAPA and put on what they had, not the Ford ones you are refering to. I hope the ones I used won't be a problem, but this rough running started months ago, and can even be felt at idle so I don't think that is my truck's problem. I'll still check the fuel pressure, I just haven't gotten to that yet. I think I'm going to pull the valve covers and start it and see if one of the injectors is not spitting oil properly, and probably change the o-rings. I doubt that I'll go throught he expense of replacing the injectors since my ultimate goal is to upgrade to a newer model.

Steve
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-02-2008, 10:53 AM

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Have you tried unplugging the ICP ?....

While you are there ,,see if the sensor is leaking oil....

Rick.....
97 F 350 ...Lucky 13
"Most stuff's just stuck & needs hittin with a hammer .Supporter/End user of ShiftSolutions THE CURE E4/4R Trans Control. Helping Cancer patients and families
Special thanks to RacerX USA

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-03-2008, 08:12 AM

Steve,

I would love to upgrade to a new model, but I just upgraded my wife to a new F-150, so it will be a while before I upgrade. So I have to get mine running right again, plus I really like my truck except for the fact that it is just an Extended Cab. Wish it was a Crew Cab, but couldn't complain on the price and miles when I bought it about 10 years ago. I doubt the fuel lines are my rough running problem, but may be my pulling problem, "may" being the key word there. I will update by next Friday if the injectors fix the roughness. I have a mechanic that is going to change the Drivers side and I will be changing the Passenger side at the same time and learn how to do it properly.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2008, 01:04 PM

Steve,

Changed the injectors yesterday and went with the RDS Stage 1's that I bought from DPPPower.com. Well, it didn't fix the problem, just made it more noticable. Luckily the mechanic that was helping me had a spare IDM that happened to be for my model. I swapped it out and TA DA!! Ran smooth as a kitten. Got my IDM ordered. Got mine for $325 from Auto and Heavy Duty Computer supply - ecm ecu tcu repair engine transmission control modules ford pcm 3000gt eclipse stealth mitsubishi honda acura lexus chrysler sidekick tracker cummins . It should be here next week. I definitely can't wait. After hearing it run right, it really sounds like crap now.

Joe
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter

Joe,
Catching up on the weekend posts. Glad to see that you have yours figured out. I actually read it on your other post earlier this morning.

I still don't have mine figured out yet. Just the other day I took my camper to the dealer for some repairs, and the truck actually ran smooth. It hadn't done that for a very long time. When I went back to bring it home a few days later, it was back to it's old tricks again, but this time the roughness would come and go. I could feel it at a stoplight going from rough idle to smooth and then back to rough again. Are the IDM's a known weak spot? I mean, do they go bad often?

Steve
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:34 PM

Steve,

Not sure if they go bad to often. I repair electronic equipment for a living, and do work on a lot of power amplifiers and power supplies on aircraft, and they do tend to go bad. So, yes the possibility for an IDM to go bad, since it is nothing more than a Power Amplifier, is possible. I have heard of quite a few going bad, but never knew what symptoms they could cause. A friend of mine told me that either my injectors were shot or the IDM was bad. I figured it was injectors with 220k+ miles on it, but was actually the IDM. If you can find someone with an IDM to match yours, try theirs or check with the garages and see if they have one you can try, that way you don't have to go spend any money shot gunning it. Good luck..

Joe
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 02:48 PM

This one is to both of you, I am having similar problems with my 97 psd, and think I have chased the running rough at idle down to that stupid dual mass flywheel, and the seems to be only running on 7 cylinders, well I haven't tracked that one down yet. I think from what I have learned about diesel engine mechanics in general it does seem like a fuel delivery issue. I am currently looking for maybe a high performance fuel pump and filter assembly that was not designed by FMC and think that maybe that will be cheaper in the long run, and fix that small balls problem. Also I am going to replace my clutch and flywheel with a solid hypo set up. I hope this helps that out. BTW, I jsut did my injector seals and saw virtually no difference in any of the problems. Also did the gp's and valve cover gaskets and wiring harnesses, cost me almost $900 for parts.

1997 F 350 Single axle, flat bed, 7.3L powerstroke, 161K, 5 speed, Electric Fuel pump (60-80 psi with preporation system & twin filters), Amsoil in motor and Tranny, Amsoil Microfiber air filter, Napa solid clutch, and surely there will be plenty more to add later.
Just finally lost the wheels off of my 85 F250 6.9L. (actually that credit goes to the semi that t-boned and got that done
)
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 09:14 PM

those idm's usually fail becuase of condensation build up and starts to oxidize everything inside the box. also uvc wire harness and nuetral safety switchs can cause poor performance

97 F-350 XLT*7.3L PSD*2X4*BLK*CC*DRW*E4OD*4.10 Gears*Alum. Whls*TYMAR HX mod*Open Air Intake(Tymar copy)*LONG Tru-Cool Trans Cooler #LPD47391*3" DP* Magnaflow 4" S/S exhuast w/5" polished S/S tip*TS-Perf. 6-position chip*Hide-Away Gooseneck hitch*LT235/85R/16*3GA.Pillar Pod/ISSPRO(exh.temp,tranny temp,turbo boost)*Billet Grille*SMITTYBILT Chrome Step-bars*

06' Dodge Ram HD 2500,SLT,4x4,Wht,Quad cab,5.9L CTD,short box,5" Magnaflow exh. w/6"tip,35/12.5-17" BFG A/T M/T,Cool Hose(blk),DTR intake elbow,K&N filter,Dash mounted ISSPRO ga.boost,pyro,tranny),BDTD tuner,Diablo Power Puck,Tuff Country 2.5" lvl kit,Rhino whl-whl step bars,Rhino liner,Defiant steering brace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in