Clunking in 4 wheel Drive - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Clunking in 4 wheel Drive

In my Dad's Ford ('95) He has noticed that there is a distinct "clunk" when the truck is engaged into 4 wheel drive. This happens only is the manual hubs are locked in and only seems to happen when starting from a dead stop or at low speeds (like 1st or 2nd in 4 low). I don't think that it is related, but the clutch pedal also seems to sit lower than it used to.

I'm thinking that it would be something in the front drive axle (CV joint?).

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

97 F250HD crew cab 4X4 5spd XLT, LUK clutch and Flywheel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 08:49 PM

i have a similair problem from a bit of research i do believe it is a u-joint and if it a constant noise that sometimes stops could possibly be your bearing

2001 F-250 7.3 L4x4 Zf6 ex cab short bed
278,000 km
AFE stage II cold air intake
magnaflow muffler with cat removed
edge evolution 3 stage 60,80,100 hp
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 PM

My Photos: (1)
Change out all 3 u joints in the axle shafts and the two on the drive shaft. I would start with the driveshaft first though as that remedied my problem and they are easier to change.

Field Service Technician For Sunbelt Rentals

2018 F150 Ecoboost

1997 F350 CCLB from texas- SKY RSK- Dana 60 - 37" tires
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 10:03 PM

Yep, u joints. Most likely the noise is worse when starting with the wheels turned? Good to confirm and do quickly, as it can cause other damage. Neighbour ruined the axleshaft on his.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-05-2009, 09:34 PM

Same Clunk

Developed Same Clunk Last Month In My 96. It Has 157k On It. Only Did It When Not In Free Wheeling. Went To Replace The U Joints But The Ball End Of The Shaft Was Shot. It Looked Like It Was Eaten Away. I Rarely Ever Have It In True 4 Wheel Drive So I Was Upset With This Wear And Tear.. I Took The Shaft To Hd Truck Parts And They Rebuilt, Made, A Whole New Shaft. Before It Was Reinstalled I Had Zeke Fittings Installed. Of Course, The Ford People Never Put These In Their Shaft. Any Way After Installing It And Driving Off The Lift There Was A Bump In The Shaft As It Turned. Took It Back Down And Back To Hd Parts. They Checked The Yoke On The Back Of The Gear Housing And Found It Was Worn. The Old U Joint Worked Ok Because Dirt And Rust Took Up The Slack. I Priced The Yoke At 40 To 80$ But Hd Said Wait. They Brought In 2 Different U Joints For Me. I Took It Back To Them Again And They Installed The New Shaft With The Proper U Joint And It Works Fine. They Did Not Charge Me Anything For The Different Part Or Labor To Put It In. Their Original Fee For A Whole New Shaft Was $396 With Tax. Plus My Mechanics Labor. Hd Parts Is Not Local. They Have Several Hundred Shops Nationwide. If You Have One Nearby They Are Good. Just My 2 Cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in