Dust Cover Issue - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Dust Cover Issue

This is not a BRAKE issue.

The front brake disc dust cover on my RWD F-350 dually's.

In the picture below - What is the "slot" for? Is it to allow dust, water, etc. out from the disc itself?
I drive on gravel roads quite often and have problems with rocks that are picked up by the treads on my tires and they get slung up - and sometimes they go down into this "slot" and get stuck between the cover plate and the disk. Then they grind with unbelievable screeching and other extremely loud noises. Most of the time I can fish them out with wire, screwdrivers, etc.
I just get tired of having this problem at the most inconvenient times!

Can this "slot" be pushed closed or will that create other problems?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disc Dust Cover.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	124789  

Name:	The Disc Dust Cover.jpg
Views:	48
ID:	124793  

2 each - Stock - 97 F-350 7.3 PS 1 ton Duallys - RWD - AT

Last edited by Audiowriter; 07-14-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

The above pic would not load (server error...?) so I uploaded it again to see if that would resolve the error... we'll see...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Disc Dust Cover.jpg
Views:	33
ID:	124791  

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 10:35 AM
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
The site is having transfer pains right now. They upgraded the security and moved everything to the cloud and it fouled everything up. They are suppose to be working on it but they have been working on if for the last couple of weeks.

96 F250 PS XLT 4X4 long box, 5sp,4.10, manual hubs,pyro+boost guages, Dark Toumaline, add a leaf, Dale's TYMAR, and HX hose, downpipe, coolant filter, Luk clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 12:13 PM

My Photos: (0)
You can close it up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

1994 F350 7.3 PSD 4X4 ZF5 DUALLY
PHP HYDRA, 6637, 3-4 DP TO STRAIGHT 4 BEHIND THE TIRE, 1.0 EXHAUST HOUSING, DIY D66 TURBO, FUGA E-FUEL, EBPV DELETE. Cooper discoverer AT/3'S.

2010 VW JETTA TDI DSG Kerma tune. Hankook ventus v2 concept 2.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 02:03 PM

My Photos: (0)
It's an air duct, to catch the stream beside the tire & pull it into the rotor, for cooling. Put some screen over it, but I wouldn't bend it shut.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-21-2018, 05:23 PM

My Photos: (1)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiowriter View Post
This is not a BRAKE issue.

The front brake disc dust cover on my RWD F-350 dually's.

In the picture below - What is the "slot" for? Is it to allow dust, water, etc. out from the disc itself?
I drive on gravel roads quite often and have problems with rocks that are picked up by the treads on my tires and they get slung up - and sometimes they go down into this "slot" and get stuck between the cover plate and the disk. Then they grind with unbelievable screeching and other extremely loud noises. Most of the time I can fish them out with wire, screwdrivers, etc.
I just get tired of having this problem at the most inconvenient times!

Can this "slot" be pushed closed or will that create other problems?
Yes, this IS a braking issue! On older model year trucks especially heavier duty or trailer tow package equipped we used to see these types of brake disk vents. The vent directs added air toward the inside of the brake rotor where it vents THROUGH the vented disks to aid in cooling. This is especially helpful in reducing brake fade in situations where a loaded truck is moving at speed while braking down hill for example. Loaded could mean with a trailer in tow or a bed or dump body loaded with significant weight. Personally I would leave the opening in the backing plates alone if you do tow or haul heavy loads.

Newer model year trucks have heavier thicker brake pads and rotors with more mass that can handle more heat and energy and I would also assume the vented brake disks have been improved as well since we no longer see this kind of venting any more. Sometimes the vents are still present in the backing plates however they are placed closer to the center of the rotors where you normally cannot see them unless you have removed the hub assembly from the knuckles and the backing plates are "free and on the bench."

2019 Ford Fusion ENERGI Titanium Plug-in Hybrid
Ford Senior Master Diesel Technician

Diesel Technician Society
Diesel Mentor Directory

Last edited by ford_doctor; 07-21-2018 at 05:34 PM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-22-2018, 05:55 AM Thread Starter

Well - if I can't get a screen attached somehow - I'll just leave them alone and keep on "fishing" out those pesky rocks!

Thanx guys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in