E40D Transmission Engages Gear But Won't Move - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Power Strokes 1994-1997 General Technical discussion of topics related to vehicles powered by the Power Stroke engine in 1994 through 1997 models.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 07:33 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
When it won't move: does the engine lug down, or rev up freely like Neutral? If it lugs: do the back wheels strain to go forward, and then roll back when you let off? If so - the rear brakes are stuck, and you're wrapping up the springs. In this case, DON'T gag on it in 4L - you could break something.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:08 PM
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea_F250 View Post
Any recommendations on how to narrow down these options? I don't think it's a brake issue so I'd start with the transfer case or axle.
Remove the rear driveshaft. Will the trans engage and turn the output of the transfer case? Will the truck roll freely? Before removing the driveshaft make sure the wheels are chocked AND the parking brake is on.

Mark
Former
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Automatic Transmission Engineer 1988-2007

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:22 PM

My Photos: (1)
FWIW,
I'm seeing parking brakes that springs are gone, rotted thru, brake linings completely delaminated. I also see that virtually all, hinged actuator levers are seized at the hinge pin. This is designed so when the cable pulls on the end outside, it pushes the leading shoe into the " hat inside if the rotor ( a de facto brake drum ). Once shoe stops traveling foreword as it contacts that surface, the lever hinges pushing out the trailing shoe.
Trust me, when that puppy stops hinging, binding, shoes delaminate, springs rot,,,that's it Jack...It can drag HARD!! or make a no go sitcheation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

Gave it another shot this evening with an extra set of eyes and you can see the drive shaft move a bit. Buddy who was looking thinks the rear brakes may be locked up. I do use the truck to launch a boat in sal****er which would speed up corrosion obviously. I've sprayed some WD40 into the drums to see if I can get these to loosen up. Any other thoughts?
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Oh and I have tried it in 4 Low but still not able to break it free
post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 08:45 PM

My Photos: (1)
Jack it up, pull wheel, axle flange bolts, pull axle, get axle nut socket with the pilot collar that is part of it. Pull hub, replace brakes.,get new splash sheield, hardware shoes ect.Clean hub, bearings, repackes repalce inner hub seal.
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 08:35 AM

1995 power stroke 4 wheel drive ,tried doing a brake torque but before tires broke loose something sheared off,trans ran perfect before this but now it don’t move in any gear, I hear a slight whining when I put in gear ,do you think I blew the transfer case , help
post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 10:20 AM

Might try the transfer case in low to see if you can move. Are you certain the transfer case isn’t in neutral?
post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 11:31 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
With the transmission in Park, does the truck hold still? That is, could a person or another vehicle push/roll the truck while it's in Park?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > Ford Diesels > Power Strokes 1994-1997 General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in